Neighbors Part 2

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yesh, thats how the new Chekov got killed by his own jeep, pinned him into his maisonry mailbox IIRC.. My new SUV has a safety feature that if a door is ajar and the vehicle starts rolling it automatically applies the electronic ebrake.. Had to warn my old lady about it or else it'll stop yeh cold if you try to drive away and someone dont shut a door all the way... but after seeing this video I'd rather have that behavior than not.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a crappy thing to have happen, even with no injuries. I bet she's all stressed out already because someone ransacked her car.

A neighbour of mine changed the oil in his pickup in his garage. Front wheels up on ramps to give clearance. Same thing happened with an open truck door. "Luckily", the garage wall kept the truck from rolling out into the driveway. Expensive oil change because he had to replace the tweaked door.

Nice feature to have on a vehicle Nayr. I love how simple common sense things keep getting added to vehicles. Nice safety feature, but I bet some people will pull their hair out a few years down the road when a door closed switch fails and they can't move their vehicle though.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a crappy thing to have happen, even with no injuries. I bet she's all stressed out already because someone ransacked her car.

A neighbour of mine changed the oil in his pickup in his garage. Front wheels up on ramps to give clearance. Same thing happened with an open truck door. "Luckily", the garage wall kept the truck from rolling out into the driveway. Expensive oil change because he had to replace the tweaked door.

Nice feature to have on a vehicle Nayr. I love how simple common sense things keep getting added to vehicles. Nice safety feature, but I bet some people will pull their hair out a few years down the road when a door closed switch fails and they can't move their vehicle though.
These new safety features are great but I can't figure out why all car manufactures aren't including automatic headlights. Two nights ago the wife and I passed two newer cars driving down the road with no headlights on. Also, this is how trucks end up going into the water at boat ramps. Driver backs down and hops out to check out the ramp and down she goes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
These new safety features are great but I can't figure out why all car manufactures aren't including automatic headlights. Two nights ago the wife and I passed two newer cars driving down the road with no headlights on. Also, this is how trucks end up going into the water at boat ramps. Driver backs down and hops out to check out the ramp and down she goes.
I see that all the time..part of the problem is that many of these cars have daytime running lamps so drivers think their headlights are on...

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I see that all the time..part of the problem is that many of these cars have daytime running lamps so drivers think their headlights are on...
Right. I drive a chevy pick up and my lights just come on when its dark. I never have to touch the switch. I have passed Audis and Toyotas and all kinds of other cars and their lights are off. Somtimes you can see that their dash lights are on also. Weird.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="nayr, post: 176480, member: 761"My new SUV has a safety feature that if a door is ajar and the vehicle starts rolling it automatically applies the electronic ebrake.. Had to warn my old lady about it or else it'll stop yeh cold if you try to drive away and someone dont shut a door all the way... but after seeing this video I'd rather have that behavior than not.[/QUOTE]
This has become necessary because of the new gear selector styles that are confusing to many...
What happens if you are trying to drive away from someone trying to carjack you?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right. I drive a chevy pick up and my lights just come on when its dark. I never have to touch the switch. I have passed Audis and Toyotas and all kinds of other cars and their lights are off. Somtimes you can see that their dash lights are on also. Weird.
on mine, there is a selector, off, on, auto, parkinglights...I think most cars are like this, there is an auto setting but many folks leave it off...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
My parents have automatic headlights on their Sequoia but never use them. They don't trust that the other person left them on auto so they don't want the battery to die. Me, I just leave my car on auto and never touch it. Are there actually cars without even the auto option now? DRL has been standard here since the early 90s though.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
on VW/Audi the auto lights are just a side effect of the auto windshield wipers.. no rhyme or reason on what vehicles get em..

2001 GTI - Check
2003 RS6 - Check
2010 CC - Check
2013 Golf - NOPE
2014 Q7 - Check

no idea why golf didnt get em, even had active turning headlamps mebe its a base model didnt get em... and as for someone carjacking yeh, thats why the doors all autolock once you exceed ~10mph.. so when your at an intersection or highway exit ramp the car jackers wont get the jump on yeh.

For the right money yeh can get the Q7 in an armored variant, was popular for conversion cuz the diesel engine could handle all the weight they add.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My parents have automatic headlights on their Sequoia but never use them. They don't trust that the other person left them on auto so they don't want the battery to die. Me, I just leave my car on auto and never touch it. Are there actually cars without even the auto option now? DRL has been standard here since the early 90s though.
Yup my 4unner doesnt have auto headlights, it had day time runners but those were deactivated by the dealer for me due to what i did for work when heads lights weren't always good have on

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
That coulda ended badly with a car inside of someone's living room. My shitty 2010 chevy cobalt has auto headlights, I think I've switched them off manually maybe twice for whatever reason, but other than that, them fuckers stay on auto and I love not having to think about it lol. There's no reason to have to remember shit like that these days.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Our 2013 X5 had the same setup... But worse. If any door was opened, the car would slam into P. This was particularly frustrating when trying to back into a tight garage or trying to navigate around a kid's bike left in the driveway where you open the door to stick your head out as you back up... Took me two or three tries before I figured out why the car would violently slam into park. I HATE that kind of nanny stuff. LET ME DRIVE. I understand that some people can't walk and chew gum simultaneously, but does that car manufacturers have to build every car to the lowest common denominator?

I HATED that BMW for that kind of grandma-fication. Want to put the car in neutral while at a red light so you don't have to step on the brake? No problem. Simply pull the shifter to N. Want to put it back in drive? 3-step process, which must be done in the right sequence... 1) Foot on brake. 2) press tiny button on the side of the shifter. 3) Push shifter to the Drive position. Do any of those in the wrong order, and the info-tainment display, and all your gauge clusters turn red screaming at you that you're doing it wrong. Meanwhile, horns start honking behind you because you're not moving. There were a dozen other things like that which soured me on BMW. We sold it after only two years of ownership.

Replaced it with a 2016 Highlander. I can shift from N to D, D to N, N to R, with no special tricks. Just do it. I can open any/all doors and drive. The hatchback opens AND closes with the button on the dash (BMW only opened). (un)lock buttons are on each door (BMW had one, in the CENTER of the dashboard - meaning you have to be INSIDE the car to lock/unlock the doors)... GOD, my BP is clicking up just thinking about how much that car cost, and how much I hated it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I looked into a Diesel BMW but didnt like it much.. slamming it in park seems like a bad idea; the Audi's have an auto hold feature that can be enabled so you can let your foot off break and it wont move if until you press the accelerator then it releases ebrake.. luckily any nanny features I dont like just get coded out w/my diagnostic tool.. If the auto-ebrake thing becomes a problem it'll be trivial to disable.

My 6MT Golf had the auto hold feature and I thought i was really nice until I tried to drive it up Pikes Peak for the hill climb; stuck in heavy traffic going right up a mountain it overheated my clutch and left me stranded and unable to make the race due to it trying to keep me from rolling backwards several hundred times in a row.. Came home and disabled auto-hold all together after that, but my wife's 6MT has a easy to reach button to enable/disable autohold which she quite likes and she just turns it on whenever she's in a tough spot and wants the help.. I'm sure on an automatic it'll be alot more useful, but we'll see.. This will only be the 2nd Automatic ive ever owned, and I hated the last one.

I've even been able to recode traction control systems so they can actually be disabled, my last several cars you could only partially disable it but with a few tweaks w/the diagnostic tools I was able to hold the traction control button for a few seconds and all driver assistance was gone, only problem is it flashed a red warning text on the center console every few seconds but I could finally drift the fucker in the snow w/out it trying to stop me.

My VAG-COM/VCDS one of my favorite automotive tools, I'm fine with any feature they wanna put in it.. as long as I can enable/disable it at my discretion.. I used to disable just about everything, abs, traction control, auto door locking, pressing clutch to start, etc.. but only if im the only driver of the vehicle.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Our 2013 X5 had the same setup... But worse. If any door was opened, the car would slam into P. This was particularly frustrating when trying to back into a tight garage or trying to navigate around a kid's bike left in the driveway where you open the door to stick your head out as you back up... Took me two or three tries before I figured out why the car would violently slam into park. I HATE that kind of nanny stuff. LET ME DRIVE. I understand that some people can't walk and chew gum simultaneously, but does that car manufacturers have to build every car to the lowest common denominator?

I HATED that BMW for that kind of grandma-fication. Want to put the car in neutral while at a red light so you don't have to step on the brake? No problem. Simply pull the shifter to N. Want to put it back in drive? 3-step process, which must be done in the right sequence... 1) Foot on brake. 2) press tiny button on the side of the shifter. 3) Push shifter to the Drive position. Do any of those in the wrong order, and the info-tainment display, and all your gauge clusters turn red screaming at you that you're doing it wrong. Meanwhile, horns start honking behind you because you're not moving. There were a dozen other things like that which soured me on BMW. We sold it after only two years of ownership.

Replaced it with a 2016 Highlander. I can shift from N to D, D to N, N to R, with no special tricks. Just do it. I can open any/all doors and drive. The hatchback opens AND closes with the button on the dash (BMW only opened). (un)lock buttons are on each door (BMW had one, in the CENTER of the dashboard - meaning you have to be INSIDE the car to lock/unlock the doors)... GOD, my BP is clicking up just thinking about how much that car cost, and how much I hated it.
this pleases me, even the most expensive douch mobiles can suck, hahahahahaha. there is 0 point in buying expensive cars, they get you from A to B, they lose value as soon as you drive them off the lot just the same, and there are so many assholes in the world you have to worry about them getting bumped, scratched, dinged, broken into, and everything else. As long as it gets you from A to B reliably it's fine, anything else is to feed someone's ego because they think they are better than everyone else. Guess what, you'll be dead in a wooden box at the end 6' under just like I will, lol.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They ne
Yesh, thats how the new Chekov got killed by his own jeep, pinned him into his maisonry mailbox IIRC.. My new SUV has a safety feature that if a door is ajar and the vehicle starts rolling it automatically applies the electronic ebrake.. Had to warn my old lady about it or else it'll stop yeh cold if you try to drive away and someone dont shut a door all the way... but after seeing this video I'd rather have that behavior than not.
need that feature in the new Durangos...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Park locks one wheel; the E brake locks two wheels. No big deal in a flat parking lot, but if you park on a slippery hill then having two wheels dragging sometimes means the difference between your vehicle staying there or sliding down hill.