Neighbor's Pickup Truck Stolen Early This Morning.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've given LAPD many videos for years now and they use the Axon Citizen site to upload videos. They just send you a link, no login needed and upload the video. It's great because you don't lose any quality like YouTube when it compresses the video. Axon is the same company they use for body worn cameras and tasers.

View attachment 69942
Our PD uses the same system. Works slick!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Last time I handed over video was just a few months ago for a porch pirate.

Originally just gave them the clip of the guy pulling into the driveway of the homeowner grabbing package and driving off. And of course the LPR clip
(I record it to a clean thumb drive I supply, and hand it to them)

Detective came by a few days later and asked for ALL video i had, especially “continuous video” of the homeowner leaving and returning which turned out to be an hour long clip. This included the UPS truck delivering the package. I guess they wanted 100% certainty that the package was delivered and not disturbed until the bad guy arrived to snatch it, and/or to match time stamps with other activity in surrounding neighborhoods in this case.

I think more video is better, which is why we have so many cameras for the HOA, and depending on the specific crime, various factors outside of the immediate event may be important to LE
Same here. I have given the police hours of video if requested. In this case I only gave them the edited video as shown above because there is nothing to see in the rest of it. If they want the rest of it I will give it to them. On this NVR the recording goes back to 5/24/2020 and is still copying new. I have 48TB of storage with around 42TB available.

Reaction score
I have given footage to the police before. In each case, they watch the video recorded by Blue Iris then watch me export it to a USB drive I provide and watch the footage from the USB drive to compare. Once I hand them the USB drive, the chain of custody begins.

I‘ve not been to court although wouldn’t mind as testifying in court was part of my past life. Generally if it the footage is going to be contested, the attorney will question the officer to whom I provide the footage.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe the last update. They cut the steering wheel to remove the club. The ripped open the steering column in order to hot wire the truck. Tires and rims gone. Radio and speakers gone. They trashed everything in removing those items. I do not know what else they did. So basically the truck is going to the scrap yard. I got this information from his next door neighbor.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me guess, even if they're caught they won't face anything serious for stealing and destroying a $30-50K truck to get a few hundred bucks worth of stuff to sell.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me guess, even if they're caught they won;t face anything serious for stealing and destroying a $30-50K truck to get a few hundred bucks worth of stuff to sell.
That is why I do not think there will be an update with an arrest notice. In some states we have descended into a revolving door justice system. If you dare to defend your home and property you are the one going to jail.

aerostar

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice catch, great footage. I need to step up my game. Next thing these cameras need are mechanical filter systems that can cut certain frequencies of light, such as tungsten and other common headlight spectrums. Those headlights almost defeated the camera.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice catch, great footage. I need to step up my game. Next thing these cameras need are mechanical filter systems that can cut certain frequencies of light, such as tungsten and other common headlight spectrums. Those headlights almost defeated the camera.
There has been some thought that is why they had the headlights on. They may have scouted the neighborhood and spotted my cameras. If not for the headlights being on including the pickup truck my 4K camera would have got a decent picture of them.

aerostar

n3wb
Reaction score
For sure, they must have cased the scene out before. Did you notice there was a small flash of light that came on from under the truck in the beginning of the video? I wonder if they were searching for a magnetic key safe or were trying to defeat the vehicle security systems.