Nest camera integration

tekstein

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

I'm new to blue Iris. I'm trying figure out how I can integrate nest cameras into blue Iris. Thanks for any help you can give me!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm new to blue Iris. I'm trying figure out how I can integrate nest cameras into blue Iris. Thanks for any help you can give me!
Welcome to the forum. see this thread https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/11164-Blue-Iris-Version-4-3-7/page2
The issue with nest is that they dont stream directly on a local network so all the video is uploaded then downloaded again, hogging and using bandwidth...replace the camera with a proper ip camera and you are all set.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. see this thread https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/11164-Blue-Iris-Version-4-3-7/page2
The issue with nest is that they dont stream directly on a local network so all the video is uploaded then downloaded again, hogging and using bandwidth...replace the camera with a proper ip camera and you are all set.
Nest is uploading all the video then what you view is downloaded from them? That sounds awful to me. What is the selling point for something like that? I can't imagine what Nest is doing with everyone's videos they assimilate. It would freak me out. Do most people not realize that's what it does?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do most people not realize that's what it does?
No, they don't. Most people are like "oohhhh, easy home security cameras, TAKE MY MUHNIES!"

I'll be honest tho I'm one of the many people who were naïve to network security until I started to delve deeper into it after reading the stuff posted here. Most people just don't know because they don't look into it. Things work with UPnP and until they are told otherwise and shown what can happen, why would anyone think these products aren't being sold already secured?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nest is uploading all the video then what you view is downloaded from them? That sounds awful to me. What is the selling point for something like that? I can't imagine what Nest is doing with everyone's videos they assimilate. It would freak me out. Do most people not realize that's what it does?
Yes, though it is encrypted both ways...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
google wants all your data; including all the video it can get of your dogs peeing and trees blowing.. next up the'll be using people's Nest cams for a 'live streetview' feature heh.

vbprof

n3wb
Reaction score
You have to make your NEST camera "Public," and Blueiris will pull your video stream off internet. Yes, it sounds very stupid. I would get rid of those expensive NEST cameras and get cheap IP cameras. I bought some cheap Chinese cameras for less than $20 per piece. The image quality is not as good, but if it is just for surveillance, it is probably good enough. I can get five to ten of those cameras with the price of one NEST camera.