NetTime server error

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sweet, now set the interval on your cameras to 1min, so they constantly maintain the exact same time as your Time server.
OK that was easy enough.

Now let me just ask one last thing so i can say i fully understand how this works. The NetTime app is running on the BI PC. All cameras on my system are set to sync with that program every minute so that everything stays up to date and in sync, even if the network goes down and I have no internet for whatever amount of time. The NetTime app will then sync with an outside time server (the netime.pool.ntp.org) every 12 hours (or whatever i have it set to in the app) to keep that internal clock correct and up to date.

This basically how it all works then?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, your Bi Server has a decent realtime clock in it and will maintain accurate time for quite a while w/out a network source.. months, possibly years, before the drift is noticeable.

ipcameras have pretty poor realtime clocks in them, with no battery backup.. so after a power failure they have no idea the time and depending on voltage and other factors they can start to noticeably drift within a few hours.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yep, your Bi Server has a decent realtime clock in it and will maintain accurate time for quite a while w/out a network source.. months, possibly years, before the drift is noticeable.

ipcameras have pretty poor realtime clocks in them, with no battery backup.. so after a power failure they have no idea the time and depending on voltage and other factors they can start to noticeably drift within a few hours.
Good deal, now that the NTP is finished, my next goal is the inbound/outbound traffic restriction for the cameras that you've suggested previously but that's for another day. Baby steps with all this Networking-for-the-Newb stuff.

Thanks again for all the help.

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info on this thread. I finally got this working after a few hours struggle. The main trick that I missed was that the BI server ip that I had to set as the NTP server (on dahua cam settings) was the IP as seen from the cameras (they are on a subnet) and NOT the IP as seen from the router! Whoops!