Network Cameras no longer to have access to Google Mail (GMAIL)

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else has noted this announcement from Google :

This means that f you have your Hikvision camera (it might affect other manufacturers too) to send alert events to a Google email account (GMAIL) you will not longer be able to.

Bascially login via SMTP using username and password is being removed.

Has anyone else come across this - and is there a work around (I dont really want to move to a new email service - as I have a lot of automated handling set up on the Google Gmail service)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Being discussed here

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Invest in a Raspberry PI (even an older one is ok) and run your own internal SMTP mail server. Then you can configure postfix or sendmail to be compliant outbound with google's needs. Have all your cameras send alerts to your pi, and have the pi forward them to gmail.

Brian99

n3wb
Reaction score
I just noticed that this week my IP camera does not send pictures or alerts since 6/7/2021. I have tried everything to fix it. What would be my next move. I can send n image that I capture to gmail and its fine.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a link to multiple threads discussing it.

Basically it is appearing that those using just cameras are screwed with Gmail as you can only setup (for the moment anyway) password apps for devices running windows, android, and ios.

So you need to either find a VMS like Blue Iris or the pi solution above or another email provider... I doubt, or it will be a long time, before camera manufacturers add OAUTH to the firmware.

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am surprised by how few topics there are online of this issue, that we knew it was coming. I own dozens of Hikvision cameras, and I am shocked and disappointed that in 2022 their web pages are still not compatible with htmlt and now this, not compatible with OAuth 2.0. No I don't have an NVR with my 20+ cameras and found ivms4200 unreliable, if anything because the darn windows 10 PC wants to reboot at it's leisure.
What's Hikvision game here, Internet has evolved with HTML5 and OAuth 2.0, do they think their better and above?