Network extenders

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Would network extenders work for getting the uplink from a switch back to the router? I have power at the POE switch to the cameras but need a long run back to the router, any recommendations ?

Nl 1.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Would network extenders work for getting the uplink from a switch back to the router? I have power at the POE switch to the cameras but need a long run back to the router, any recommendations ?

View attachment 42413
If you have line of sight, look at the threads that discuss ubiquitous point to point wireless.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
^ ubiquiti

If you can't do line of sight and you are going to the expense of digging then I'd suggest running fiber optics between buildings. Then your distance will be meaningless.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I've used these on a few installs, most recently to link 3 buildings together and they have literally been perfect https://amzn.to/2LHRCWZ There is no obstructions though, perfect line of sight. Also known as point to point.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Network extenders, or network repeaters, do work but they require external power. They add 100 m to the certified cable length from where the extender is. That is, 50 m cable, then extender... You only have 100 more meters, not 150. Also it is difficult to find one that is weatherproof. I think most people mount them in an electrical box. There are threads here that discuss that. There are PoE repeaters that take power from the Ethernet cable. You could presumably make the entire run from the router to the cameras PoE through the use of a PoE injector, or a simple 2 port PoE switch. Or you could move the existing PoE switch next to or closer to the router and the use a PoE extender somewhere midspan.
Obviously the feasability of moving things around to different locations is something that I don't know, so some of this might seem foolish.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, a PoE-powered network switch/repeater at the midpoint would work too. Of course this adds complexity. I've recently been educating myself about fiber optic networking, and it really seems like the best way to go for any long distance link that can't be served by a wireless bridge. Fiber optic cable is good for multiple kilometers and speeds far higher than any twisted pair copper.

If it was me needing to run a 350 foot network link without radios, I would buy these and run it in buried conduit. About $200 USD. Actually I'd probably buy a second cable just as a backup. The cable here should be good for 10, 40, or even 100 gigabit networking in the future.

2x: http://amzn.com/B00GAZ2HHS
1x: http://amzn.com/B01N4KWOI1
1x: http://amzn.com/B00U1Q3HJO

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great suggestions..
Burial is not a option for this location as it is all blacktop. I am going to try the P2P nano beam to cover the span.

I do have a direct site to cover the span and it should be high enough to avoid large truck interference. It will also allow me to avoid a arial drop across the road.

If I understand it right it looks to be a great solution.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@jmcu

Yes, it is. If this is your first time working with Ubiquiti radios, this will help:
airMAX - How to Configure a Point-to-Point Link (Layer 2, Transparent Bridge)

Here are some other tips:

1) One of the options on the Access Point side is to choose a Channel Width. Higher channel width means a higher bandwidth link, but it also means you use more of the radio spectrum, so you cause more interference for others in the area and you receive more interference from them too. So if you have specific bandwidth needs, choose the lowest channel width that delivers it reliably.
2) The Output Power can usually be reduced on both radios for short-range links like this. This is mostly to benefit other 5 GHz radios in the area. Often even the lowest output power setting will work fine. Try for a signal strength that is at least 30 dBm higher than the noise floor. E.g. if the noise floor readout says -88 dBm, you should try for a signal strength that is roughly between -58 dBm and -48 dBm.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
ePoe operates by reducing the link rate to 10 Mbps I think. You definitely don't want that for the backbone between buildings in 2019. LOL.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@jmcu

Yes, it is. If this is your first time working with Ubiquiti radios, this will help:
airMAX - How to Configure a Point-to-Point Link (Layer 2, Transparent Bridge)

Here are some other tips:

1) One of the options on the Access Point side is to choose a Channel Width. Higher channel width means a higher bandwidth link, but it also means you use more of the radio spectrum, so you cause more interference for others in the area and you receive more interference from them too. So if you have specific bandwidth needs, choose the lowest channel width that delivers it reliably.
2) The Output Power can usually be reduced on both radios for short-range links like this. This is mostly to benefit other 5 GHz radios in the area. Often even the lowest output power setting will work fine. Try for a signal strength that is at least 30 dBm higher than the noise floor. E.g. if the noise floor readout says -88 dBm, you should try for a signal strength that is roughly between -58 dBm and -48 dBm.
+1^^.
From May of last year: Remote cameras via wireless bridge

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
I got my Ubiquiti airMax set up and everything is working but I can not seem to make out the settings very well. I did turn down the channel width and set them to auto power.

When I first installed them the cameras signal was cutting in and out. I realign them and was able to get a steady feed after they sat for a while.

I went back today and checked the recordings from overnight and they have been trouble free but I don't know if these are good settings or not.
Any feedback would be appreciated..

20190530_161710.jpg
20190530_161720.jpg
20190530_161843.jpg

Last edited:

poptix

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a ridiculously strong signal and way more bandwidth than you need for two cameras. It's fine.