Network fails if SD card gets corrupted

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm posting this to follow up on a problem I experienced after a power outage last night. My cameras have all behaved well during and after many power outages over the past year, until last night. Apparently as a result of the outage, one of the cameras ended up with a corrupted SD card. This resulted in the camera essentially going offline; it's web page wasn't accessible and Blue Iris wasn't getting a stream. The camera started working fine after reformatting the SD (required removing it from the camera and using a PC). Since this doesn't happen often I'm not that adverse to having to remove and reformat the SD card, but I am very concerned that it may happen while someone is robbing my home. I doubt anything can be done to prevent the SD card from being corrupted when the power goes out (usually the SD survives fine, but there is always that chance the SD doesn't get closed properly). So it seems like a more robust way of handling corrupt SD cards may be needed.

The camera in question:
ipc-hdbw4231fp-as (aka "starlight mini ir wedge)

running firmware:
2.460.0000.14.R, Build Date: 2017-07-20

Has anyone else experienced this problem on their Dahau cameras? If so, was there some fix for it?

I'm wondering if the latest firmware (DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_EngSpnFrn_N_Stream3_V2.622.0000000.23.R.180330 I believe) might help prevent this from happening again.

Thanks,
Kevin

[edit: Not sure it matters, but my blue iris pc, router, and poe switch are all powered through a decent UPS (cyberpower w/ true sine/active pfc). The blue iris pc is set to shut down after 5min of no power, which leaves more battery to keep the router and switch (and therefore also the cameras) running for an additional ~1hr. Last night's outage went long enough where the switch and router also powered down. So Blue iris was already disconnected before the card was likely corrupted (I believe the SD was corrupted by being powered down while mounted).]

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm posting this to follow up on a problem I experienced after a power outage last night. My cameras have all behaved well during and after many power outages over the past year, until last night. Apparently as a result of the outage, one of the cameras ended up with a corrupted SD card. This resulted in the camera essentially going offline; it's web page wasn't accessible and Blue Iris wasn't getting a stream. The camera started working fine after reformatting the SD (required removing it from the camera and using a PC). Since this doesn't happen often I'm not that adverse to having to remove and reformat the SD card, but I am very concerned that it may happen while someone is robbing my home. I doubt anything can be done to prevent the SD card from being corrupted when the power goes out (usually the SD survives fine, but there is always that chance the SD doesn't get closed properly). So it seems like a more robust way of handling corrupt SD cards may be needed.

The camera in question:
ipc-hdbw4231fp-as (aka "starlight mini ir wedge)

running firmware:
2.460.0000.14.R, Build Date: 2017-07-20

Has anyone else experienced this problem on their Dahau cameras? If so, was there some fix for it?

I'm wondering if the latest firmware (DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_EngSpnFrn_N_Stream3_V2.622.0000000.23.R.180330 I believe) might help prevent this from happening again.

Thanks,
Kevin

[edit: Not sure it matters, but my blue iris pc, router, and poe switch are all powered through a decent UPS (cyberpower w/ true sine/active pfc). The blue iris pc is set to shut down after 5min of no power, which leaves more battery to keep the router and switch (and therefore also the cameras) running for an additional ~1hr. Last night's outage went long enough where the switch and router also powered down. So Blue iris was already disconnected before the card was likely corrupted (I believe the SD was corrupted by being powered down while mounted).]
highly unlikely...i have never heard or seen this issue..when playing with cameras indoors i often have the sd card inside and recording...i must have unplugged various dahua cameras 1000 times while it was writing to the sd card and have never seen this...more likely it was a coincidence...

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah it might just be a coincidence. I have also unceremoniously unplugged my cameras with SD inserted many times without problem. I'm not 100% sure if they were actually triggered/recording every time, but pretty certain they were at least a few times while I was experimenting with cam placement. Definitely not in the 1000's; probably more like 50 or so. My luck is roughly 1/20th of the average. So the numbers agree. ;)

This feels like a shot in the dark... any chance you have a link to a Dahua firmware change log? I am just curious what has been fixed/changed/added.

qwert106

n3wb
Reaction score
an old threat, but i had the same issue with 3 dahuas over the years. no access to camera until you remove the sd card. not very user friendly.... Ping to cam works but webinterface is not working
(i have 12 Dahuas 5231 since years, only 3 of them showed this behaviour)