Network monitoring

nhodge

n3wb
Reaction score
So, our HOA is planning on updating our camera system to something significantly more modern, and part of that is having remote access to the camera feeds. The current (and most convenient) place for the NVR is the garage; the room is physically secured pretty well, but I am still concerned with someone (including owners within the building) hijacking the network connection. Current intent is to have a business-class cable connection, with an Arris modem and Asus router, with the router serving OpenVPN. I looked around here for a little tutorial re: remote network monitoring, but didn't see one. Just wondering if someone can point me to such a thing, or if that (monitoring a network remotely) even really makes sense . . . Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, our HOA is planning on updating our camera system to something significantly more modern, and part of that is having remote access to the camera feeds. The current (and most convenient) place for the NVR is the garage; the room is physically secured pretty well, but I am still concerned with someone (including owners within the building) hijacking the network connection. Current intent is to have a business-class cable connection, with an Arris modem and Asus router, with the router serving OpenVPN. I looked around here for a little tutorial re: remote network monitoring, but didn't see one. Just wondering if someone can point me to such a thing, or if that (monitoring a network remotely) even really makes sense . . . Thanks.
Hi @nhodge

pfsense has a lot of nice options... however, if you're going to be the IT / network person for the HOA - then do take into account how much time this will take from you.

Do you plan to have a separate HOA internet service for this security camera setup?
Is it in your garage?