Network Ping Response Help

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a remote cam setup using a wireless repeater and a wireless bridge. My connection to the cam keeps dropping out. When I hook up the bridge and a test cam in the house everything is ok. When I go the remote location and connect the bridge and remote cam everything is ok and I can ping the bridge and cam from the house pc ok. But, after a short time (10-30 minutes) I lose connection with the cam.

When I ping the bridge (192.168.1.100) the response is:

Pinging 192.168.1.100 with 32 bytes of data:
... Reply from 192.168.1.6: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

Question 1 - why is the ping reply referencing 192.168.1.6 which is my desktop pc?
Question 2 - how do I interpret the "statistics" of Received = 4 and the "Destination host unreachable"

Duane
Columbia Falls, Montana

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The reply will be from the IP of the machine that you're running it from when it can't ping the specified IP.

Likewise the 4 sent/4 received/0% loss is normal and just how it reports when unreachable.

Lots of possible reasons so hard to say why it's dropping based on that.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) What is the brand & model of "wireless repeater and a wireless bridge"?
2) What is the distance the link is attempting to cover?
3) Is it clear Line of Sight between the 2 points ?

EDIT: Is this the same link with the same issues as back in Dec. of 2018?

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The reply will be from the IP of the machine that you're running it from when it can't ping the specified IP.

Likewise the 4 sent/4 received/0% loss is normal and just how it reports when unreachable.

Lots of possible reasons so hard to say why it's dropping based on that.
Thanks for the reply Mike A. There is a lot I don't know about TCP/IP so am just trying to solve a signal path problem. I will keep working on it.

Duane

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Provide a network diagram with all the hardware and ip addresses. Indicate hardwired and Wifi connections

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Provide a network diagram with all the hardware and ip addresses. Indicate hardwired and Wifi connections
Thanks for the reply SoutheryYankee, for what it's worth I've attached my network diagram.

The connection I am troubleshooting is between the Netgear EX6200V2 and the Hawking HPOW5. I get it working sometimes with a good signal but later it justs drops out. So, I know my network IP addressing configuration is ok. My signal strength runs about -70dbm from the HPOW5 measured at the EX6200V2, using a cell phone network analyzer. I know these signal strength reading are all relative but this is within the range of other signals measured on the network that appear to be adequate. Right now I am looking at the settings in the EX6200V2 Extender to see if they are optimal.

The Hikvision "Shop Cam" is hard mounted on the outside of a remote shop building and I don't want to take it down to bring it inside to troubleshoot.The Hawking HPOW5 is temporarily mounted behind thin wooden wall about 10 feet high inside the shop building, with a Cat 5 cable through the wall to the HikVision cam outside. The HPOW5 is pointed towards the EX6200V2 behind a window in the house (line of sight) with a separation of approximately 130 to 150 feet. The EX6200V2 has a spec output power of 700 mw and the Hawking HPOW5 power output is rated at 800 mw.

Duane (EganMontana)
Network002-web.jpg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) does the Hawking bridge support ping. Not all devices support ping
2) can you ping the camera 192.168.1.66
3) can you ping netgear 192.168.1.15
4) can you ping netgear 192.168.1.13
5) what is the distant from the netear ex6200V2 and the Hawking ? What does the signal strength look like at the Hawkings.
6) what is the distant between the Router and the netear ex6200V2 ?

on your diagram add the sSSID and channel number on each wireless device.
Have you tested the WIFI signal at each of the locations, looking for signal strength and interference.

When I had a wifi network for my cameras I had the cameras on a separate wifi network , home Network had channel 1 and 6 on same SSID. The camera network had channel 11 on a different SSID. WiFi netwokr was 2.4 Ghz

Side note; I do not have anything plugged into my router other than a Gygabyte switch.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Mike A. There is a lot I don't know about TCP/IP so am just trying to solve a signal path problem. I will keep working on it.

Duane
When the connection to the camera drops, have you tried doing a trace route to the bridge? To do this, open a command prompt (windows) and type tracert x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the ip address of the bridge. Destination host unreachable message is usually a routing issue.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Running tracert to the bridge will only show one hop. All the devices on the network are on the same IP segment. What you could be seeing is wifi channel interference causing intermittent issues with the multiple wifi extenders you have, A couple of questions - how far is the shop from the house? What's the connection between your netgear router and the wifi extender that the Hawking device is plugged in to? Is that a wifi connection to another wifi connection?

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd say it's likely the Netgear Extender to Hawking AP. That's a flakey combo just begging for intermittent issues!
Things I'd check first:
  • What channels are each AP / router on (all of them)? Make sure you don't have overlapping channels which is pretty tough with 2.4GHz. You can only use channels 1, 6, 11. Period, end of story. Because video is generally 100% duty cycle, the WiFi gets pretty slammed. Ensuring there's no overlap is an important factor.
  • Do you have neighbors close by whose WiFi could be interfering with yours? (with a signal strength of -84 and above)
  • -70 is pretty marginal, but if it's a solid -70 it could be okay.
I'd try to use a point to point wireless bridge from the House to the Shop with something inexpensive and reliable like a Ubiquiti NanoStationAC LoCo or NanoStation AC. That's if replacing the equipment is feasible and you have line of sight.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Reviewing your diagram, the likely problem is that the camera is two wireless hops from the main network (router). The "ability" of having a network connection through two wireless connections is possible; just not always as simple to put into practice.

The approximate 150' line of sight is within practical distance if there are no obstructions along with the use of long-distance/directional antennas, mounted external to the structure (house, garage, barn, etc). Use of

I suspect that the Hawking link is the one which is introducing the issue (not the physical hard unit, but rather the distance + 2.4Ghz channel + antenna + indoors, etc) Ubiquiti provide an excellent product that I've recommended before and seen work.

Options...

Ensure line-of-sight between antennas has no obstructions; trim tree, bushes, etc or relocate antenna.
Configure Hawking extender to use B/G rather than N. This will limit speed to 54Mbps but improve signal strength, and hopefully reliability.
Locate antennas external to building, behind glass is nearly as bad as behind a wall; worse if there is a screen on the window.
Replace omni antenna(s) with directional antenna(s).
Upgrade solution to use outdoor dedicated bridge device (Ubiquiti) rather than Wi-Fi extenders.