Network(s) NVR

M4SK13

n3wb
Reaction score
Afternoon Folks;

If i plug my cameras in to the PoE switch in the NVR they pick up an IP address different to that of
everything else on my network; Question I have a 4 Port PoE built in to my NVR but i got the 8 camera version. so why/how do i add the 4 extra cameras once i have filled the "on board" sockets. Since when i plug the cameras in to my normal swicth they pick up the same IP as the computers/mobiles and the NVR.

Thanks in advance...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..how do i add the 4 extra cameras once i have filled the "on board" sockets. Since when i plug the cameras in to my normal swicth they pick up the same IP as the computers/mobiles and the NVR.

Thanks in advance...
Hi @M4SK13

On my Dahua OEM NVR there is a manual add section for cameras - you can add cameras here by IP address which are not connected to the PoE ports of the NVR.

Remember to keep your cameras protected from the internet as well as from any other devices on your LAN which may hit an infected website or get a virii / trojan.

1st step is to change the default password.

see the wiki for more info on securing your devices.

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@M4SK13
If you have 4 built-in ports but your NVR is capable for 8 cameras, you can add the extra 4 cams through an external PoE switch. Your NVR has 2 network interfaces, one connects to the internal switch and has an IP of 10.1.0.1, network 10.1.0.0 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The other interface connects your NVR to your home network, probably has an IP from your home network 192.168.x.0 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0. A camera connects to the NVR's internal switch will have an IP address in the range 10.1.0.2 to 10.1.0.254 while a cam connects to your home network should have an IP of 192.168.x.x. When you fill up your NVR PoE switch ports, your next camera would need to connect to your home network to be online and connected to the NVR. Use Config Tool software to configure your cameras on your home network. It would find your cams even if they are assigned IPs that are not belong to your home network. From Config Tool interface, you can change the IPs accordingly.
If you need to change the IPs of your cams connected to the NVR's internal switch, use the instruction @mat200 provides above.