Network switch not allowing cams to operate at 1gbps

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a gigabit PoE network switch (TL-SG1210MPE) with 8 cameras connected, and all seems to be working within BI.
My cameras are all Dahua, of varying models/resolutions (7x 4MP, 1x 8MP).
Here's what BI camera status window shows:
1674449382299.png
However, when logging into the switch WebUI, it seems that the connection to these cameras has auto-negotiated to 100mbps.
1674449011158.png
Note: Port 9 is the uplink to my router.

Whenever I try to manually change any ports 1-8 to '1000MF', the status under 'Actual' shows 'Link Down'. If I hard reboot the switch without changing it back to 'Auto', then 'Actual' reads 10MF!
All switches/network devices are at least gigabit speed, and running over CAT6 cable.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Are CCTV cameras gigabit devices in the first place? The only reason I upgraded to a gigabit PoE switch was because I saw the 'incoming' bandwidth on my BI machine is topping out at ~110mbps, so I thought there was a network bottleneck.

2. If CCTV cameras are not gigabit devices, is there any benefit at all to running a gigabit switch? I don't seem to be seeing much performance improvement.
1674449262670.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think because the Cams only need roughly 3-12 Mbps, they might be set in in hardware as 10/100 devices, so you may not get a 1000 link light.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My whole god dmaned fucking NVR is castrated to 80 Mbps....what a joke. I though it was my switch too...
80? Is that even possible? I thought the only speed limitations were 10/100/1000, etc?

So you don't think my system has any network bottlenecks based on what you see in my post?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
No I do not....I have that other BI machine with like 18 Cams and think it's showing about 62 Mbps across the Ethernet interface.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So you're saying that the switch is reporting the cams as 100mbps is because they're not exceeding that?
If that's the case, then the cameras themselves would be inherently 100mbps devices then right?

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you're saying that the switch is reporting the cams as 100mbps is because they're not exceeding that?
If that's the case, then the cameras themselves would be inherently 100mbps devices then right?
correctomundo.

Cameras are not gigabit devices because they do not need to be.
Certainly not anything in the consumer space.

Keep your gigabit switch though. It will come in handy should you decide to plug something into it that does use gigabit.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried a 10/100 yuanley Amazon switch with a Gigabit uplink. for 2 Nvr's feeding 11-12 cams.....in place of a gigabit switch. She lagged like a 90 year old trying to explain how the internet works.
went back to the Gigabit for faster Web gui loading of cameras.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
correctomundo.

Cameras are not gigabit devices because they do not need to be.
Certainly not anything in the consumer space.

Keep your gigabit switch though. It will come in handy should you decide to plug something into it that does use gigabit.

Good to know.

My router has a 2.5G port, and my BI machine has a 2.5G port. For the most optimal network setup, would it be best to plug the BI machine or thegigabit PoE switch into the router's 2.5G port?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried a 10/100 yuanley Amazon switch with a Gigabit uplink. for 2 Nvr's feeding 11-12 cams.....in place of a gigabit switch. She lagged like a 90 year old trying to explain how the internet works.
went back to the Gigabit for faster Web gui loading of cameras.
This is because its a crap shit bottom barrel switch not because it was 10/100 with gigabit uplink. Cameras dont support gigabit...that is technical fact as noted by others.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to know.

My router has a 2.5G port, and my BI machine has a 2.5G port. For the most optimal network setup, would it be best to plug the BI machine or thegigabit PoE switch into the router's 2.5G port?
The BI machine should be plugged into the switch and then the switch to the router. Otherwise most routers will choke and you will see stream delays among other issues.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The BI machine should be plugged into the switch and then the switch to the router. Otherwise most routers will choke and you will see stream delays among other issues.
What if I have an additional camera on a PoE injector elsewhere on the network?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I literally don't have enough ports on that switch though, and I can't justify getting a 16 port PoE switch just to accommodate one extra cam. It also isn't possible to run CAT6 cable from that location to where the switch is directly.