Network switch not allowing cams to operate at 1gbps

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In your case, as long as you set it up so that your MainVLAN can initiate communication with your CameraVLAN, all those devices you mentioned would work normally with regard to how they interact with the camera server
Setting up vlans is pretty easy.
Configuring them in this way is probably the better way to do it but it is more complicated and easily messed up.
Multihoming the bi server would be quicker and easier if doing it this way proves too much.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a very basic explanation of how VLANs work (and it's probably wrong at a technical level), but it's how I began to understand it myself when I was first learning about it.
Thanks for the very basic explanation, that was very useful.

So considering I have one camera that is connected outside of the main CCTV PoE switch, I guess I'll have to set up both VLANS through my modem?
Is there any tutorial on YouTube which explains how to set up a VPN? I know my router has this feature but I've literally never used one, let alone set one up.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My BI machine doesn't have dual LAN.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've never heard of that. What is it and how do I do it?
it's just another term for describing a computer that is connected to two different networks at the same time.
It can be done in various ways, but in your case it would most likely be done by installing a second network card into your computer.
Another example would be when your mobile phone is connected to 4G and your wifi.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
So considering I have one camera that is connected outside of the main CCTV PoE switch, I guess I'll have to set up both VLANS through my modem?
Is there any tutorial on YouTube which explains how to set up a VPN? I know my router has this feature but I've literally never used one, let alone set one up.
You mentioned the switch model (TL-SG1210MPE), but not what router you are using..... Let us know that information and we can probably help get it set up.

For me, VPNs were more confusing to learn than VLANs. This is only because I am self taught and many of the online procedures I looked at were for enterprise level VPNs with extra layers of security and complexity that simply aren't needed for the average "home" user. Once I began to understand the differences between the two type of users and what enterprise level elements I didn't need to incorporate into my VPN setup, it became easier for me to understand and implement.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I've never heard of that. What is it and how do I do it?
Look here:

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just replaced a 10m ethernet cable because it was clearly not good enough -- as shown by the Speedtest.net results on the laptop it was connected to.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I just replaced a 10m ethernet cable because it was clearly not good enough -- as shown by the Speedtest.net results on the laptop it was connected to.
What did you replace it with? Assuming you meant 10 meter cable?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm guessing it was a Cat5 and I replaced it with a Cat6 and even with just a 10 meter length it made a lot of difference.