Network timeouts and

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a few cameras that are constantly giving me 8000274c - timeout check ip address and port- wyzecam (this has not changed) or http 12002 timeout errors (foscam).

I cannot hardwire these cameras.
These 2 are always the culprits.
They will eventually reconnect after some time when I power cycle them.

Since ethernet at this time is not an option and the wifi issues are only on these two (both close to Orbi satellites) looking for steps to troubleshoot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have use wifi cameras in the past but no longer. They can be disrupted to easily.

But if you need to, I would setup a seperate wifi network on 2.4 ghz using a different channel and different SSID then your home network. Just use some access points they are cheap. I used an old ASUS RT-N12 router.

What does the network interference look like. Use a phone app to look at the interference.

As always microwave, home wireless phones and other electric devices, interfere on the 2.4 GHZ band.

If you have more that 3 cameras with continuous recording on the same SSID on the same router / access point you may be overloading the wifi network for throughput.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As @SouthernYankee said, a separate wifi network for cameras would be a good idea.

There are a few things you should know before trying to set up a second network. This is important so pay attention!

On the surface it looks like there are 11 channels to choose from (or 14, depending on country). This is misleading. Every wifi network actually uses multiple channels! Best-practice for 2.4 GHz networks in the USA is to manually specify the channel for your network and to use only channels 1, 6, or 11. This allows for the most efficient use of the radio spectrum.

When you set up any new 2.4 GHz network, you should use a wifi analyzer app to see what already exists and what their signal strengths are in the location where your new network will be. Choose the channel which has the lowest pre-existing signal strength (again, only 1, 6, or 11).

This picture shows a chart of wifi networks which are all following the 1, 6, 11 rule:

You might think it would be a good idea to choose a channel in between these, like channel 3. That would be a terrible idea.

Take for example this chart where almost every network is on a different channel. They overlap chaotically and the total amount of data which can be sent over all those networks is lower as a result.

The other thing to keep an eye out for when configuring a wifi network is that some routers or access points let you choose between 20 and 40 MHz for your "channel width". Choose 20 MHz. Do not choose 40 MHz. The only time you should choose 40 MHz is if you live in the middle of nowhere and your wifi networks are the only ones in sight. A 40 MHz network uses as much radio spectrum as two 20 MHz networks, and a lot of devices can't see the full 40 MHz network properly in a scan which makes it even harder for network operators to cooperate with each other.

You can read more about all of this here, but if you understand what I said above, that should be good enough.

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As @SouthernYankee said, a separate wifi network for cameras would be a good idea.

There are a few things you should know before trying to set up a second network. This is important so pay attention!

On the surface it looks like there are 11 channels to choose from (or 14, depending on country). This is misleading. Every wifi network actually uses multiple channels! Best-practice for 2.4 GHz networks in the USA is to manually specify the channel for your network and to use only channels 1, 6, or 11. This allows for the most efficient use of the radio spectrum.

When you set up any new 2.4 GHz network, you should use a wifi analyzer app to see what already exists and what their signal strengths are in the location where your new network will be. Choose the channel which has the lowest pre-existing signal strength (again, only 1, 6, or 11).

This picture shows a chart of wifi networks which are all following the 1, 6, 11 rule:

You might think it would be a good idea to choose a channel in between these, like channel 3. That would be a terrible idea.

Take for example this chart where almost every network is on a different channel. They overlap chaotically and the total amount of data which can be sent over all those networks is lower as a result.

The other thing to keep an eye out for when configuring a wifi network is that some routers or access points let you choose between 20 and 40 MHz for your "channel width". Choose 20 MHz. Do not choose 40 MHz. The only time you should choose 40 MHz is if you live in the middle of nowhere and your wifi networks are the only ones in sight. A 40 MHz network uses as much radio spectrum as two 20 MHz networks, and a lot of devices can't see the full 40 MHz network properly in a scan which makes it even harder for network operators to cooperate with each other.

You can read more about all of this here, but if you understand what I said above, that should be good enough.
Thank you. I am actually very familiar with this due to how Smartthings hub works!

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have use wifi cameras in the past but no longer. They can be disrupted to easily.

But if you need to, I would setup a seperate wifi network on 2.4 ghz using a different channel and different SSID then your home network. Just use some access points they are cheap. I used an old ASUS RT-N12 router.

What does the network interference look like. Use a phone app to look at the interference.

As always microwave, home wireless phones and other electric devices, interfere on the 2.4 GHZ band.

If you have more that 3 cameras with continuous recording on the same SSID on the same router / access point you may be overloading the wifi network for throughput.
I'm going to try to lower the bandwidth on all my cameras to see if that helps first.