networking/cam gear install location

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
as I plan my cam installation and upgraded network configuration, thoughts of hardware location keeps coming to mind.

Ultimately, I will have 10 - 15 cams. There will be possibly two 8 port POEs to support the cams. On networking side, I will have ubiquiti router and at least two access points. One for the inside, the other in the backyard for back/outside support. Quite possibly a third for the front outside. The cable modem will be moved to whereever all the hardware ends up. I am in southern California area in Los Angeles county. Summer weathers can get at 95 degrees.

My thoughts are to put all this hardware in the garage, installed on a wood board. I am concerned about the heat in the garage. I would prefer NOT to bring all this hardware in the house, not to mention all the ethernet cabling. I also thought about putting it up in the attic but I would think it is even hotter there in comparing to the garage.

There IS one hall closet on the top shelf that could work but with the closet door closed, I have concerns of the heat build up.

Any suggestions/recommendations would awesome.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to @mat200 's NICE install. Just make sure it's set up like his to pull air from bottom and push out top...warm air rises so this aids natural flow. If bottom of door is very snug on carpet or there's a door jamb, you really should provide an inlet down there the same size as top outlet. Fans shown are pushing out to provide desired air movement.

I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, but I've always been amazed how many folks don't know what I thought were basics, so I try not to make assumptions any more...and I'm no thermal dynamics engineer or HVAC tech. Just an old fart that's kept his eyes and ears open quite some time now.

My ex-wife would always load the picnic cooler with ice then put all the stuff on top. Once I held a frozen 'Blue Ice' at waist height in still air and had her put her hand above the ice for a few seconds then do the same thing just under the block and she was always very surprised at how much colder her hand was UNDER the ice. I told her cold air is heavier so it flows down & warm air goes up......next time she'd load the cooler as before with food on top. Doh! :facepalm:

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve had structured media cabinets in several garages now. No issues with excessive heat but I’m also not in S CA. Generally I leave the front cover pulled out at the top for dissipation. Don’t screw the cover down and if it is really hot, just remove the cover completely. I have paernts who have a home outside of Palm Springs. We put a thermo-controlled fan in the side garage wall, much like an attic fan. This may help with garage heat. It did theirs. They never have garage heat casualties and their temps are likely much higher. Yes, the components will generate their own heat on top of the garage heat. Airflow across them from something simple like a fan can help. Cooler is better and inside is likely going to be cooler. Absent fans in a closed closet, it may not end up that much cooler though depending on the number of components and heat generated. The other half may also take issue with loss of closet space... I’d catch hell! Stay out of the attic. Realistically, how many months of the year are summer+ high temps versus spring/fall/winter temps in the garage.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am about an hour from you and have all of mine on a backboard in my unfinished garage. No issues whatsoever with overheating equipment in the summer. Router, modem, 48 port switch, 2 injectors, midspan, BI PC, and APC 1500 UPS.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
guys,
thank for SO much for all the awesome feedback. The ideas are very innovative. I do like the venting on the closet door. Last night, after I posted the original post, I was thinking about replacing the entire door with the kind that have louvers. Installing the vent on the top portion certainly a serious contender, especially when the other side is my office.

@trucams - I am certainly not in palm springs but nevertheless, near the ontario airport, the summer temps are certainly up there. The garage is unfinished and its quite warm during the peak months of summer. I'll have to look into the thermo-controlled fans. I think it would be a great idea to keep the garage cooler, regardless of networking hardware.

@zebrock - great to know and keep in mind there have been no concerns with all the listed hardware. If I do go that route, I will put the PC with BI inside the house ;)

@TonyR - Great suggestion about putting an inlet on the bottom. I saw one pic of the door where there was a fan pulling air at the inlet vent then top of the door, at the outlet vent, the fan was pushing air out the closet. Quiet, 5V pc 140mm fans should do well.

I will revisit the closet idea and see if that can realistically work out.

thanks again for the creative feedback.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR - Great suggestion about putting an inlet on the bottom. I saw one pic of the door where there was a fan pulling air at the inlet vent then top of the door, at the outlet vent, the fan was pushing air out the closet. Quiet, 5V pc 140mm fans should do well.
Yes, I've done that where less noise was desired and one higher CFM fan at top by itself was too noisy. The traffic signal cabinets (my field for > 31 years) used a single 120mm, 120VAC ball bearing fan at top with mechanical thermostat under a weatherproof exhaust, intake with small fiberglass HVAC filter at bottom of front door to the cabinet. They moved lots of air, were noisy but who cared...they were drowned out by vehicular traffic.