Networking question

Camnovice

n3wb
Reaction score
New here. This is my first post and dont even have a camera system YET. I am looking to get an 8ch system POE with NVR. The only internet available for me is by a mifi. The NVR I am looking at requires ethernet to upload to cloud and to access via mobile device. Is there anything I can do to make it work. Looking at a reolink system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
New here. This is my first post and dont even have a camera system YET. I am looking to get an 8ch system POE with NVR. The only internet available for me is by a mifi. The NVR I am looking at requires ethernet to upload to cloud and to access via mobile device. Is there anything I can do to make it work. Looking at a reolink system.
Avoid reolink its crap from a lying spamming company.
No point in uploading to the cloud.
if your mifi allows you to connect to a router yes you can setup remote viewing. you will need to jump through some hoops to do it securely.

Camnovice

n3wb
Reaction score
What system is recomended? Money is an factor. I was looking at the reolink 8ch NVR, POE, 4mp, with 4 cameras for under $400. Is there a way to connect an NVR to a mifi?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What system is recomended? Money is an factor. I was looking at the reolink 8ch NVR, POE, 4mp, with 4 cameras for under $400. Is there a way to connect an NVR to a mifi?
Read the wiki. spend a bit more and get something good. Or be cheap buy crap, then come back and spend again after the system fails or does not capture good video because the cameras use crappy sensors.
You can put together a very good 4 camera system for about 600 dollars.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wouldn’t get reolink... check out the dahua hdw5231R I would buy 3 of these and cover my enter/exit points first. I would find a cheap pc to run blue iris... hp elite or dell for $200.00 get a 5th gen i5 on up make sure to use quick sync, buy blue iris for the pc. Search this far and there’s a lot of good information here. This would be my list all for around 700 - 750

3. starlight 5231 around 420 cover your enter/exit points this is a good starting point
1. Blue iris software 60
1. Hp elite or dell 200
Poe switch 50
Cat 6 cable buy the good stuff here.

Camnovice

n3wb
Reaction score
I wouldn’t get reolink... check out the dahua hdw5231R I would buy 3 of these and cover my enter/exit points first. I would find a cheap pc to run blue iris... hp elite or dell for $200.00 get a 5th gen i5 on up make sure to use quick sync, buy blue iris for the pc. Search this far and there’s a lot of good information here. This would be my list all for around 700 - 750

3. starlight 5231 around 420 cover your enter/exit points this is a good starting point
1. Blue iris software 60
1. Hp elite or dell 200
Poe switch 50
Cat 6 cable buy the good stuff here.
Instead of an NVR,the videos record to the laptop?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Instead of an NVR,the videos record to the laptop?
no not a laptop. A desktop pc using blue iris software. its is miles ahead of any nvr. See wiki.
the fixed starlight turrets can be had for 100 (slow shipping).
That load could easily run on a 100 dollar i5-3570 hp8300.
50 bux for blue iris + 10 for mobile app..
poe switch 40.
600 bux and you are done.

Camnovice

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally found the wiki and will explore it. My only means of internet will be via a mifi. Any ideas?

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I finally found the wiki and will explore it. My only means of internet will be via a mifi. Any ideas?
With a pc and the blue iris software you save everything local no need for internet unless you wanna remote in then you use a vpn it with mifi it will be harder. Just take it one step at a time read read read.. then make decisions

Camnovice

n3wb
Reaction score
I know I want to get email notifications and be able to access with a mobile app. I leave for an oconus trip in a month or so. My learning curb is very short.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know for a fact but MiFi, like most 4G/LTE hotspots from cellular ISP's, may not provide a public IP address, hence conventional remote access won't work. If so, Hamachi or ngrok would be an alternative.

Camnovice

n3wb
Reaction score
If the pc is connected to via wifi, i should be able to access blue iris via mobile app, correct?and be able to get alert and view cameras.?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the pc is connected to via wifi, i should be able to access blue iris via mobile app, correct?and be able to get alert and view cameras.?
If you are where the Blue Iris sever is located (at home on your LAN), the BI server is on the MiFi and your phone is on the MiFi then most likely, yes.

BUT....If the MiFi is at the place where the Blue Iris server is, the BI server is on the MiFi's Wi-Fi and you are AWAY from your house, on 4G/LTE or on someone else's Wi-Fi and open the BI app to view the cams...as I stated in post #12 above, I do NOT think you can view the cams.

Again, I could be wrong, but most Wi-Fi hotspots furnished and supported by cellular ISP's do not provide a public IP for the WAN, which is what you need to access the cams remotely (away from the BI server's LAN) with the BI app. MiFi may be like that...no public WAN IP....but I'm not 100% sure.

I say this because I have a AT&T 4G/LTE Wi-Fi hotspot since July and after 5 years of being able to view my cams on CenturyLink DSL, I no longer can do so due to not having a public WAN IP as I did with the DSL.

I intend to correct that soon and have the understanding that "Hamachi" (by LogMeIn) or "ngrok" is the solution. I'd like nothing better than to be able to report success right now in doing that, but various personal and health issues over the last 5 months have slowed my progress. I can say that with Teamviewer on my phone, my phone on 4G/LTE and away from my home I can access my PC at home on the AT&T hotspot, so there's hope for Hamachi or ngrok. Using the BI app on my phone is my ultimate goal.

I also hope 2019 will be a MUCH better year for me...and of course, others as well. :D

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
He used to have these on his amazon store and more will be in stock soon

Camnovice

n3wb
Reaction score
Given the space i have at home. I just dont have a place to run a pc with monitors. Can I get by with a laptop? Max of 8 cameras. If not, I may be revisiting an NVR. I gave up on connecting a nice system via mobile hotspot. Bought some cheap Blink cameras that will alert and can view via hotspot. I still want some good cameras to capture quality video for identification.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Given the space i have at home. I just dont have a place to run a pc with monitors. Can I get by with a laptop? Max of 8 cameras. If not, I may be revisiting an NVR. I gave up on connecting a nice system via mobile hotspot. Bought some cheap Blink cameras that will alert and can view via hotspot. I still want some good cameras to capture quality video for identification.
PC takes the same amount of room as an NVR... You can use either with or without a monitor. If you can get the blink to work you can get any other pc-based system to work as well over your hotspot.