Networking recommendations

ttis

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for advise on best networking set up for adding 4-6 IP cameras and recorder. Current data network set up is as follows:

1) (1) 4 port router connected to (1)16 port gigabit switch (non-POE, non managed).

2) Switch serves (13) RJ-45 jacks in various rooms via individual cat 5e cable runs. Router is located in Office. Network switch, patch panel located in structured wiring panel in closet.

3) IP cameras (POE), cables, etc are not installed.

4) spare older PC (Intel Core 2 quad Q9450, 2.66GHz, 8GB ram) is available if needed.

Desire:

1) Looking for something compact, clean, minimal exposed wiring, etc., that can connect to existing network. Flexible, compatible, expandable, etc. ( I currently have 1 Hikvision IP dome camera, but plan to expand)

Questions:

1) What is recommended recording solution? NVR with built-in POE, NVR without POE, stand-alone recorder PC, or NAS?

2) What is best way to connect cameras and NVR, Recorder PC or NAS to network? Use built in NVR POE or separate POE switch? Options:

a) add separate 8 port POE switch for cameras and feed POE switch from existing 16 port switch. There should be room for adding wiring terminations and 8 port POE switch in panel. (16 port gigabit switch is also in the panel)
b) add separate 8 port POE switch for cameras and feed POE switch from existing router. (router is located in the office cat 5e run which feeds the network switch)
c) wire cameras directly to NVR with built in POE and not use the wiring panel or separate POE switch.
d) connect NVR, Recorder PC or NAS to network switch.
e) connect NVR, Recorder PC or NAS to router.

3) Any advise on hardware? Brand? Options:

a) 8 port POE switch: TRENDnet 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet PoE+ Switch TPE-TG80g, others?
b) NVR: POE/non-POE - ?
c) PC /operating system/ software: - existing spare PC, HP Elitedesk mini, others?
d) NAS: Synology NVR-216, DS216+II, others?
e) other Hardware?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. Thats for you to decide, use the search function.. NAS is the worst, BluIris is the best PC NVR, and External PoE is much more flexible while internal PoE on hardware NVR is very simple and easy.. If you want to mix-and-match brands then a PC NVR is the only option.. If you can live happily married to a single Vendor and want simplicity then a Hardware NVR is a good option.
2. the best way is a single trunk switch, so replace your 16p with a 24p PoE switch and terminate everything in the same place on the same switch.. or keep what you have and use a PoE NVR.
3. I have practically no experience with consumer grade networking gear, havent used it in eons.. Consult NewEgg and Amazon Reviews is your best bet.

Your spare older PC is junk, it wont be of any help.. Read posts by other people, if you lurk for about 3 days you will see these same discussions active.

you need to do more research, were not designing a setup for you.. come back with a list of what you want to get and ask for advice and opinions.

ps: dont buy any more domes, get turrets instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do not use the old pc for recording. It will cost you way more to run that replacing the system. Search the forum for optiplex or elitedesk.

ttis

n3wb
Reaction score
Are there any performance or capacity disadvantages (speed, recording parameters, network capacity, etc) with a PC NVR (HP elitedesk with BluIris) versus wiring cameras directly to dedicated hardware NVR with built in PoE?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are there any performance or capacity disadvantages (speed, recording parameters, network capacity, etc) with a PC NVR (HP elitedesk with BluIris) versus wiring cameras directly to dedicated hardware NVR with built in PoE?
No..

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most NAS require licenses per IP Cam (after the first one or two) and they can get very expensive.

Along with being slower, and as Nayr recommended above, I'd nix that idea as a standalone PC NVR. That being said you CAN use them for media server purposes, personalized cloud backup and I've also read some use them as FTP servers when connected to the network via the switch. So while its not great for a standalone camera system, you can still utilize them for other home network use running alongside the NVR.

For PC NVR's using BI, which is arguably the most commonly used by members here, check out Dell OptiPlex or HP Elitedesk on eBay. If you're running 6-8 cams, a newer generation i5 processor will suffice. Anything more, consider an i7. The newer seem to be the most efficient, and you don't need an external video card as BI can only utilize the Intel integrated hardware for acceleration purposes.

As far as internal vs external I'm still learning about that. Check nayr's previous posts about his set up. I use a 24port PoE managed switch and while I'm hearing they are power hogs, its what I went with and so far I love the flexibility it gives me with adding additional streaming and network devices to it. Down the road once I become more familiar with external PoE I may change it out but for now it works for me.

To answer the second part of number 2, I have the router, wired to the gigabit port on my managed switch. The BI PC (Dell OptiPlex i5) is also wired to one of the gigabit ports on the switch. Remaining cameras (5 total, with additional coming) are all wired directly to the switch. I also have one external IR illuminator that I use that's powered by PoE from that switch as well.

You haven't mentioned anything about accessing remotely. Are there plans for that too or no?

ttis

n3wb
Reaction score
No plans for remote access. However, I would like to be able to connect /configure the PC NVR or NVR by accessing the system and/or extending the video via from an existing ethernet jack connected to the network.