Networking

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Going through the help files and I saw advice about ensuring my firewall and anti-virus settings do not slow down BI operation. I use ZoneAlarm Free firewall and AVG Antivirus Free. Any suggestions on settings for these would be appreciated. Many thanks!

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The general purpose advice that applies to all firewall and anti-virus/malware programs are:

Firewall (both in your router AND on the computer your running BI on):

1. Exclude packet sniffing (if supported by your firewall) for the port(s) you are forwarding.
2. Exclude logging for BI traffic (but I don't - so that is up to you).
3. Exclude detection and monitoring on the BI forwarded port (this is a general purpose statement, because manufacturers use different terminology for this).

Anti-virus/Malware:

1. Add the video clips to the exclusions list (I use the .bvr format of BI so I exclude .bvr files - but ONLY in the location they are recorded in).
2. Add the BI log file to your exclusions list.
3. Add the BI program itself to your exclusion list(s)
4. If you're using USB cams then exclude their driver and encoders.

That's the basics, if anyone wants to add to the list feel free...:cool:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a great topic...This could be causing some of the issues folks are having with their streams, like ghosting etc..It could also explain cpu increases...particularly if they made these changes when they installed BI3 but not BI4.
Make sure to exclude the blueriris.exe file. I exclude the entire BI folder as well as the storage locations...

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman, I forgot to add that the reason I ask is that I often notice skips in my recorded streams where a person is captured and then suddenly disappears from the view.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I exclude the entire BI folder as well as the storage locations...
I would never exclude an entire folder - you open a place a virus can live in, instead just exclude the file types in that folder. That way if another type file gets into that folder it will be detected.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would never exclude an entire folder - you open a place a virus can live in, instead just exclude the file types in that folder. That way if another type file gets into that folder it will be detected.
No one is writing code that will place a virus in blue iris folders...all my blue iris installs are on dedicated machines, so any antivirus is not really needed...

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No one is writing code that will place a virus in blue iris folders...all my blue iris installs are on dedicated machines, so any antivirus is not really needed...
Ya, that's what they all say - until it happens, best to stick with "best practices" when doing computer protection. No argument on the antivirus software on dedicated machines, as long as your firewall is strong you shouldn't have an issue.

I do security protection work for one of the top security firms in the world, excluding a folder is a BIG no-no. If you're not running any antivirus software then there is nothing to put an exclusion in anyway.

Seriously folks (to those who are reading this), NEVER exclude an entire folder in your anti-virus software - even if it is the "easy" way to go. :D