New 4K Nocturnal PoE System from Lorex. Dahua starlight cameras?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Can someone tell if this is any good ?

Looks like Flir NVR with Dahua Starlight cameras that come with 4x Cat5E 100ft (chat confirmed CCA) cables ?

There is additional 15% off coupon.

I could always return my yet undelivered 4K Reolink setup and pay extra for this due to superior Dahua cameras.

What Dahua cameras are these exactly and is this whole kit worth the price?

I'm in Canada btw and really having trouble finding a decent 4 cam NVR system with good color night vision. So far this is the only thing I have found.

Reaction score
The cameras have 1/1.8" focal length sensors. This looks like the same sensor used in several Dahua models, and also in some Amcrest (also rebranded Dahua) models. And the camera itself looks exactly like a Dahua mini-bullet, so my guess is that you'll get far better night vision performance out of these cameras than you could ever hope to with the Reolink system.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The cameras have 1/1.8" focal length sensors. This looks like the same sensor used in several Dahua models, and also in some Amcrest (also rebranded Dahua) models. And the camera itself looks exactly like a Dahua mini-bullet, so my guess is that you'll get far better night vision performance out of these cameras than you could ever hope to with the Reolink system.
What are these cameras worth if buying seperately ?

Reaction score
What are these cameras worth if buying seperately ?
The Amcrest versions with the 1/1.8" sensors cost about $129 USD. So offhand it looks as if the price for the entire system is reasonable. But if I were you, I'd definitely toss the CCA cables and install pure copper CAT6 cables. Too many people have had bad experiences with CCA cables in camera installations.

If these are rebranded Dahua cameras (which seems very likely), the nice thing is that you will probably be able to plug an Amcrest or Dahua camera into your system and have it work just fine, if you ever decide to upgrade.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - spec sheet ( yes, this should be a superior performer compared to the current models Reolink has.. )

Product Specifications
Image Sensor 4K (8MP) 1/1.8” CMOS
Video Format NTSC
Video Compression H.265/H.264H

Looks like Flir NVR with Dahua Starlight cameras that come with 4x Cat5E 100ft (chat confirmed CCA) cables ?
FYI - reports I have seen in the USA for Lorex kits were that they had good copper wires in the cables. Cables were not UV rated, otherwise decent cables.
Suspect customer service people from Lorex are a mixed bag of people who really know something and those just doing a job...

NVR and Cameras in that kit are Dahua OEM.

Last edited:
Reaction score
NVR and Cameras in that kit are Dahua OEM.
The best thing that ever happened to Lorex was having Dahua buy them and turn them into another OEM vendor. Ten years ago Lorex was pure junk. Nowadays my main reservation is that the wide FOV of the cameras really isn't suited for identification of suspects. But for people who want better cameras than Ring or Nest, and don't want to deal with a PC running Blue Iris, then a Lorex (or Amcrest) system is not a bad alternative.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They are actually on sale. Everything 20% off with coupon. Shit the price I will pay for 4 Starlight 5442 I could have had entire lorex system with nvr / wiring lol. Cheaper actually.

Shame those 1/1.8 4k cams are 2.8mm only. Way too much field of view to be of any use for proper ID imho

c_snyder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The last lorex kit I worked with had CCA cabling with it. That was roughly a year ago so unless something changed I believe they are CCA.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The last lorex kit I worked with had CCA cabling with it. That was roughly a year ago so unless something changed I believe they are CCA.
Yeah screw that aluminum crap. I'm installing a 4K NVR Reolink system for a friend. Installed cams today. Doing brand new cat5e solid copper runs tomorrow. Not trusting that garbage included wiring (actually I think its just stranded aluminum not even cca)

c_snyder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah it's a real pain to work with too. Incredibly ridgid. One end got damaged so I had to cut it off and at first I thought it was copper due to the color but I was able to shave off the outer layer to shiny aluminum underneath. For the system i'm installing now I purchased solid copper cat6 from monoprice.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah it's a real pain to work with too. Incredibly ridgid. One end got damaged so I had to cut it off and at first I thought it was copper due to the color but I was able to shave off the outer layer to shiny aluminum underneath. For the system i'm installing now I purchased solid copper cat6 from monoprice.
The cable included with reolink is flimsy like a wet noodle.