New 5216 nvr will not connect to 6 of my cameras which work fine with my old 4216

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently bought a Dahua NVR(DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E) to replace old Dahua 4216. About half of my cameras will not connect to the 5216 although they work perfectly with both the 4216 and BlueIris. I have upgraded the 5216 to the latest firmware but that did not help. The cameras that do not connect are all Dahua purchased around 2015. Out of 10 cameras - 6 do not connect. I checked and double checked all the userids and passwords. The cameras are all connected to the LAN via POE switches. I am not using the POE connectors on the back of the 5216. Any thoughts on what might be wrong or how to troubleshoot this?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
What models are the cameras that don't connect? Are the cameras that connect a different model #?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently bought a Dahua NVR(DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E) to replace old Dahua 4216. About half of my cameras will not connect to the 5216 although they work perfectly with both the 4216 and BlueIris. I have upgraded the 5216 to the latest firmware but that did not help. The cameras that do not connect are all Dahua purchased around 2015. Out of 10 cameras - 6 do not connect. I checked and double checked all the userids and passwords. The cameras are all connected to the LAN via POE switches. I am not using the POE connectors on the back of the 5216. Any thoughts on what might be wrong or how to troubleshoot this?
Hi @tng5737

Test the following:
Set one camera to ONVIF, and the channel on the NVR associated with that camera to ONVIF.

Does that work?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have older possible Dahua hacked up firmware Chinese cams, they will in fact not work.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have older possible Dahua hacked up firmware Chinese cams, they will in fact not work.
This is what's behind me asking for the camera model #s. There are 2 kinds of hacked firmware in this context:
(1) The chinese firmware hacked to speak english, and (2) The english firmware hacked to run on a chinese camera. We know that the newer NVR firmware rejects #1, but I don't think it's been positively answered whether or not it rejects #2. If the OP's rejected cameras are chinese with #1, he could try loading one with #2 and see what happens.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What models are the cameras that don't connect? Are the cameras that connect a different model #?
Here is a list. The Green background work and the Red are the ones which do not. Based on the serial number patterns I would guess that 166,167 and 160 are hacked. Also I suspect that 163 is a HDW3200 dome (too cold to go outside and pull it to check)
I bought the 5216 from Andy - when he gets back from his New Years celebrations I will also contact him and hope he knows of a solution (other than buying new cams)

Attachments

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Please see this post. You will note that there is a connection from my POE switch INTO the first POE connector on the NVR. Worth a try :)

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Please see this post. You will note that there is a connection from my POE switch INTO the first POE connector on the NVR. Worth a try :)
The LAN is 192.168.1.xxx and if I remember correctly the NVR POE Switch is 10.1.1.xxx
This is what's behind me asking for the camera model #s. There are 2 kinds of hacked firmware in this context:
(1) The chinese firmware hacked to speak english, and (2) The english firmware hacked to run on a chinese camera. We know that the newer NVR firmware rejects #1, but I don't think it's been positively answered whether or not it rejects #2. If the OP's rejected cameras are chinese with #1, he could try loading one with #2 and see what happens.
I like to ask a stupid question - how does the nvr KNOW that the ipc was hacked? What is it looking at - serial num?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
The LAN is 192.168.1.xxx and if I remember correctly the NVR POE Switch is 10.1.1.xxx

I like to ask a stupid question - how does the nvr KNOW that the ipc was hacked? What is it looking at - serial num?
Camera serial numbers are regional, Newer NVR's (at least USA versions) will reject chinese region S/N and or Mac address that it deems not worthy, it is well documented here where people bought Chinese or Hacked cams and they are rejected by the Newer NVR's. Andy Himself has warned us also about Dahua putting the kill switch in the NVR's.
In your case, the cams are pretty old and when you bought them, it worked out fine, I see some of the firmware is from 2013, The Newer NVR's may not like that.
If it were me I would definitely try a work around if I could.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't find anything that makes me suspect that the HDW3200S or HFW2100N is a chinese market camera, so any guess I can make is a random shot in the dark. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe the newer NVR firmware just can't talk to the older cameras. The serial number being used for region identification is new information for me. The second kind of firmware I mentioned 6 posts up doesn't apply to these camera models.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe Andy can shed some light on just what criteria the new NVRs are using to reject the cams. Looks like I'll be replacing some cameras soon!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Camera serial numbers are regional, Newer NVR's (at least USA versions) will reject chinese region S/N and or Mac address that it deems not worthy,..
Hmmm.. do we know how to change the MAC address as well as the S/N in the camera?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The first camera below is a chinese market camera, the second a starlight varifocal.
macAdrs.jpg
If the camera region was identified by mac address, I would intuitively expect the grouping to be on the front end of the addresses. I don't see that here. There are of course a lot of other ways to encode the region in the mac address.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have updated my chart to include MAC and versions . None of the cams which will not connect show ONVIF version in their info. However 157 and 158 work.
MyCams-Info.jpg

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't find anything that makes me suspect that the HDW3200S or HFW2100N is a chinese market camera, so any guess I can make is a random shot in the dark. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe the newer NVR firmware just can't talk to the older cameras. The serial number being used for region identification is new information for me. The second kind of firmware I mentioned 6 posts up doesn't apply to these camera models.
In those years, It was very Common to buy "rebranded" IP Cameras with customized firmware depending who the re seller was, Quite a few Companies including Nelleys would take cams like that and Modify the Firmware and give it there own Model Number, I can Name a Bunch of companies that were doing it and was considered legit at the time. After Dahua Changed Their Marketing, I had asked My USA seller well over a year ago how Dahua was doing that by region and was told it was S/N. They also went after MacAddress spoofing also, we have "NEVER" been told my Internal Mac Or S/N does not match what the sticker or box says. I can only tell you what was explained to me. I would bet its more on S/N that Mac however one can never say for sure, I remember reading some time back that somebody was able to decrypt the Hik's by region and S/N.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In those years, It was very Common to buy "rebranded" IP Cameras with customized firmware depending who the re seller was, Quite a few Companies including Nelleys would take cams like that and Modify the Firmware and give it there own Model Number, I can Name a Bunch of companies that were doing it and was considered legit at the time. After Dahua Changed Their Marketing, I had asked My USA seller well over a year ago how Dahua was doing that by region and was told it was S/N. They also went after MacAddress spoofing also, we have "NEVER" been told my Internal Mac Or S/N does not match what the sticker or box says. I can only tell you what was explained to me. I would bet its more on S/N that Mac however one can never say for sure, I remember reading some time back that somebody was able to decrypt the Hik's by region and S/N.
I bought the Hxw2100's at Empire Security Cameras around the time Dahua was changing their policy about US sales. The 4300's were bought from HDSecurity Store a little later. I don't believe that Empire is still around.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought the Hxw2100's at Empire Security Cameras around the time Dahua was changing their policy about US sales. The 4300's were bought from HDSecurity Store a little later. I don't believe that Empire is still around.
Yea, By whatever means the NVR is doing it, stuff aint working, I have some older chinese cams here and a Brand New NVR on the way, I may play around with a fix myself but my time is limited but it would be really nice to know in your case what is doing it.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yea, By whatever means the NVR is doing it, stuff aint working, I have some older chinese cams here and a Brand New NVR on the way, I may play around with a fix myself but my time is limited but it would be really nice to know in your case what is doing it.
I've checked the first three octets of the MACs of my cams and they are all registered to Dahua . The list of MAC ids assigned to Dahua is pretty small and I would think that the firmware could check for them. However, in my case ALL of my MACs are Dahua so there must be something else going on.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
c hris, are any of your chinese cams loaded with the firmware from the dahua firmware mod kit thread? If they are, I'd really like to know if the new nvr firmware accepts or rejects them. I read a theory that the stock chinese market cams all have simple chinese as a language selection and that's what triggers the nvr rejection.. All of my chinese cameras are running the mod kit firmware, and don't have any chinese as a language option, so I'm wondering if the new nvr firmware might accept them? Or if you aren't running the mod kit firmware, you could try it one one of your cameras if it's a supported model.