New 5216 nvr will not connect to 6 of my cameras which work fine with my old 4216

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
c hris, are any of your chinese cams loaded with the firmware from the dahua firmware mod kit thread? If they are, I'd really like to know if the new nvr firmware accepts or rejects them. I read a theory that the stock chinese market cams all have simple chinese as a language selection and that's what triggers the nvr rejection.. All of my chinese cameras are running the mod kit firmware, and don't have any chinese as a language option, so I'm wondering if the new nvr firmware might accept them? Or if you aren't running the mod kit firmware, you could try it one one of your cameras if it's a supported model.
As a matter of fact one of them is, I also I have a bunch of rebranded Nelleys stuff that is running on Newer NVR's I have set up recent, I also have cams from around 2014-2015 that I got from a company called Optiview, They were Dahua resellers, they will NOT work with the Newer NVR's. Will Give it a shot when I get things set here.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm "desperately" wanting to find out if the firmware mod thread firmware in a chinese camera will work with the new nvr firmware. I'm afraid if I load the new firmware into my nvr it might not let me go back to what I have now. If the cameras won't work with the new nvr firmware and I can't go back, I've lost 7 perfectly good cameras. On the flip side, some of my newer Andy cameras don't play well with the older nvr firmware. Kind of a catch-22.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, after many hours of trial and error (mostly error), I finally got all of my cams to work. Here are the steps I took.

1) Go to System - Security - Private Protocol Auth. Mode Change from Security Mode to Compatibility Mode
2) Go to Cameras - Registration
a) IF the camera is already add, DELETE it and do a SEARCH to rediscover it.
b) Add the cam to the active list
3) Edit the cam
a) enter your userid/password
b) hit CONNECT
c) select SETTING and deselect ALL so that ONLY D1 is selected. Hit OK

After a short while the cam should connect. Go to LIVE View to check if you have a feed.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Give it a shot when I get things set here.
[/QUOTE]
Well, after many hours of trial and error (mostly error), I finally got all of my cams to work. Here are the steps I took.

1) Go to System - Security - Private Protocol Auth. Mode Change from Security Mode to Compatibility Mode
2) Go to Cameras - Registration
a) IF the camera is already add, DELETE it and do a SEARCH to rediscover it.
b) Add the cam to the active list
3) Edit the cam
a) enter your userid/password
b) hit CONNECT
c) select SETTING and deselect ALL so that ONLY D1 is selected. Hit OK

After a short while the cam should connect. Go to LIVE View to check if you have a feed.
Excellent, Persistence paid off for you and gave us good info here, I have some cams from that era that were replaced when we upgraded to a new system and I tried to screw with them, some would work and some not, as time permits I will have to re check this..again Thanks.

rudiau

n3wb
Reaction score
Damn

"1) Go to System - Security - Private Protocol Auth. Mode Change from Security Mode to Compatibility Mode""

Setting doesn't exist on my NVR4104.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
c hris, are any of your chinese cams loaded with the firmware from the dahua firmware mod kit thread? If they are, I'd really like to know if the new nvr firmware accepts or rejects them. I read a theory that the stock chinese market cams all have simple chinese as a language selection and that's what triggers the nvr rejection.. All of my chinese cameras are running the mod kit firmware, and don't have any chinese as a language option, so I'm wondering if the new nvr firmware might accept them? Or if you aren't running the mod kit firmware, you could try it one one of your cameras if it's a supported model.
@tigerwillow1 I got a chance to put a modded cam on a new 32 channel NVR, No Issues picked it right up.

ausrobots

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, discovered thsi thread and am a new member.

I too have bought the 5216 and now can't see some cameras. I have tried everything that @tng5737 has suggested with no luck. The 4 cameras that won't connect are 5 year old axis cameras. I know they are connected and the wiring is good - if I connect the cameras and laptop to a POE switch, I can log onto all of them and view video. I know the user and passwords are correct. TCP ports are set to 80. The POE list shows those cameras drawing expected power (5 Watts), however there is no link. A couple of questions;

1. Am I stupid to think that any camera with a TCP stream can be connected to this NVR?
2. I have set the camera IPs to 192.168.2.5X. The NVR is set to 192.168.2.70. Both have subnets of 255.255.255.0 with gateway of 192.168.2.1 - though there is no router in teh system as I have not connected teh NVR to the internet at this stage.
3. Even if the video protocal or port is wrong, should the device still show up when I search for it?

Thanks in advance for any help

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm it should see them...are the cameras plugged into the same switch as the NVR? Not a network guru, is it poossible the lack of a gateway is the problem?

Its been a few years and I wish Id saved some of the setup screens but I had a number of Axis legacy cams from 2016/2017 hooked up to a Dahua 4208 NVR so I know its possible,

Seems to me I had to use the pencil icon on the camera registration page and set the manufacturer to AXIS and set a comms port to some funky port they used (separate from the port 80)

Can you show a pic of your 5216 camera reg page?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not as a router, as a switch.
Yes set them to DHCP, then plug into the PoE ports and wait or hit Search, and they should appear in the top pane.
Wait and they should eventually appear in the bottom pane. Dont try to manually add them. Let the NVR move them to bottom itself.
They'll show red dot indicating a problem. Open the Pencil icon Edit box and tell the NVR the login credentials for the camera as well as the port its using and select AXIS
editcamera-credentials1.jpg editcamera-credentials2.jpg

The NVRv PoE ports are effectively an internal switch handing out IPs to each port in the 10.1.1.x range (by default)

So connecting a camera with a static fixed IP of 192.168.2.x wont work. It would work if they were connected to an external switch

See example. One camera is on an external switch but on the same network segment as the NVR, thus the NVR will see it and assuming you use the edit (pencil) icon to tell the NVR what the camera login credentials are, it will accept it and record/stream it. Some are on the NVRs PoE ports. They are assigned a 10.1.1.x address by the NVRs internal switch.

4208-8P-RegPage.jpg

ausrobots

n3wb
Reaction score
Will head home soon to give it a go. But..

The NVRv PoE ports are effectively an internal switch handing out IPs to each port in the 10.1.1.x range (by default)
Switches do not assign IP addresses. Also.. the 10.1.1.x range is that mirroring the Ip address you give the switch, or doed it have an inward facing set of IP addresses regardless of the NVRs external facing one?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok fair.

The internal switch by default issues IPs to the PoE ports in that 10.1.1.x range yes. It is in theory configurable (there’s a tab allowing the user to specify this) but everyone I’ve seen try to give it the same range as the LAN has had problems. I think it has to be different than the LAN range adopted by the NVR.
4208-v3-switch.jpg

I believe the primary reason it is setup this way is simply for security purposes.

For instance, many people use port forwarding on their WAN facing router to allow remote access to the NVR.
But if you login remotely using port forwarding, the NVR (let’s say it’s on the LAN at 192.168.2.x) sees that you have an external IP and won’t allow you to connect directly to the cameras which it has internally assigned (by default) to the 10.1.1.x range

Cameras on PoE ports of the NVR are (by default) only accessed by clicking the blue IE button manually in the camera registration page of the NVR by a device on the local network.
4208-8P-RegPage-mixedPoEand External.jpg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR is considered a managed switch and acts as a DHCP server and thus can hand out IP addresses in the 10.x.x.x range as mentioned above. It doesn't do any routing. One can bridge it to the LAN and put everything on the same IP subnet, but that would defeat the purpose of acting as a managed switch and preventing the cams from talking to the internet.