New again .. re-reviewing my dahua setup

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its been about a year since i initially posted here. Im trying to refresh my memory about what was then my plan to build my own ip cam setup.. I had initially set a budget of around $500 some people told me that was doable and others said no way. I kind of concur with the ones that said it wasnt.

The cams i was looking at getting at the time was the dahua starlight 2mp(IPC-HDW2231R-ZS). They seemed to have great reviews as far as night capabilities went at that time. I remember being told that this dahua nvr (DHI-NVR5208-8P-4KS2) was a good match for what i wanted. I wanted an 8 channel system with PoE. People warned about fan noise but i disregarded it in favor of having a simpler install. That 8ch nvr was around 300 some odd dollars. It doesnt include a hdd as far as i remembered so total cost wouldve been close to 400 for just a functional NVR. The two cams were around 130 each. That put me over my budget. Even now, a year later nothing has seemed to drop in price... I wonder if i should still look at getting this setup or if theres anything new on the market as far as dahuas go.

If i remember correctly i wanted the cams to run at full 1080p, with something around 15-20fps. That nvr runs a max of 320mbps. I forgot how to calculate exactly what i needed to determine that was the appropriate nvr to chose. I guess i could find a cheaper nvr but then id also have to run the cameras at a slower framerate correct? Anyway im just kind of looking for helpful pointers or any opinions on the comments/questions i posted.

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So with the calculator looking at those starlight 2mp I'm looking at around 10mb+- per camera to run those. Assuming I had all 8 cameras setup I'd only be using 80mbps bandwidth. Let's say I added a few more higher resolution cameras to half the feeds at 20mpbs each. I'd only be needing about 120mbps. That nvr supplies a maximum of 320. I guess I can try to find a cheaper nvr right?

I'm also considering running a PC but then I need to buy a Poe switch in addition to the 6tb or so hdd. People are praising the blue Iris soft ware. Is the difference between dahua nvr and blue Iris night and day?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So with the calculator looking at those starlight 2mp I'm looking at around 10mb+- per camera to run those. Assuming I had all 8 cameras setup I'd only be using 80mbps bandwidth. Let's say I added a few more higher resolution cameras to half the feeds at 20mpbs each. I'd only be needing about 120mbps. That nvr supplies a maximum of 320. I guess I can try to find a cheaper nvr right?

I'm also considering running a PC but then I need to buy a Poe switch in addition to the 6tb or so hdd. People are praising the blue Iris soft ware. Is the difference between dahua nvr and blue Iris night and day?
Yes it is. There are threads here discussing the pro's and con's of each.