New Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW-36MM graphical glitches and freezing runs hot?

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm interested too and not sure why the reseller won't comment.

Reaction score
I reduced the IR to 6% and put it outside again. That quick-release on this one is pretty handy for this btw...
Kind of a cool view--- look at the tree shadows-- that's from moonlight tonight.
1591250546579.png

After I hung it, I messed with the IR setting, and looked at the POE wattage draw difference. Going from 6% to 50% added a full watt to the POE draw on the port.
Putting the IR at 6% left the POE power draw at 3.4 watts--- only a half watt higher than the normal daytime wattage.

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes when I removed my original camera and replaced it with the second one I was able to slide it right out quickly. Quick question what benefits do you see going to thr Dahau firmware vs Amcrest? My only concern is image quality.

Reaction score
Yes when I removed my original camera and replaced it with the second one I was able to slide it right out quickly. Quick question what benefits do you see going to thr Dahau firmware vs Amcrest? My only concern is image quality.
From what I could see, there was no change in image / video quality. I personally was hoping for a variation to the available resolutions in the Dahua firmware. I wanted a 16:9 resolution that was cropped to 16:9 from the native 4:3 sensor, as opposed to the "squished" distorted fun-house-mirror image where the feed is squeezed down to fit a 16:9 format. Hopefully in a new firmware update they will address that--- and that is the real benefit to me in switching firmware. I think Dahua is Far more likely to provide a new FW update than Amcrest. There may be other benefits I am not using because I rely on Blue Iris... ???

Reaction score
BTW--- my camera continued operating through the night at the greatly reduced IR level.

Curious about any thoughts from others on this odd issue....

wackystuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
my camera seems to be running good so far (feels warm to the touch but i think that's normal).. with the exception that it suffers from bad smart ir (if it has any)...(subject gets washed out by the infrared when they get closer to the camera, IR does not auto adjust)... anyone has this problem with the IR? (camera IR is set to auto).

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
my camera seems to be running good so far (feels warm to the touch but i think that's normal).. with the exception that it suffers from bad smart ir (if it has any)...(subject gets washed out by the infrared when they get closer to the camera, IR does not auto adjust)... anyone has this problem with the IR? (camera IR is set to auto).
Mine hadn't switched to IR yet where it's positioned so I can't confirm. In theory the cameras @EMPIRETECANDY sells that are 4mp may be similar. I wonder if he knows anything.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Mine hadn't switched to IR yet where it's positioned so I can't confirm. In theory the cameras @EMPIRETECANDY sells that are 4mp may be similar. I wonder if he knows anything.
The cheap cam not support smart IR, so that is the bug this camera has, like we met before on the 4.0 AI models, lastly we fix up them by updating the new firmware, all OK.
Hmm, i think can check IPC-T2431T-AS, this one is cheap, and working much better than those cheap ones.

Reaction score
is the amcrest IP5M-T1179EW, the same as the dahua IPC-HDW2531T-AS-S2? specs look identical....if they are, the dahua specs mention that it has smart ir..perhaps they didn't program it correctly into the firmware..

Yes--- that firmware is in my cam right now... see the comments here:

While the firmware loads---- it does NOT provide the Smart IR auto-adjustment.... Apparently a hardware difference does not allow it...

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK-- to piggyback on this thread once more. This camera of mine dropped off the network again. Between 11:20pm and 11:30 pm, the network connection failed. When I went outside to look at it, the IR's were glowing, and the housing definitely was WARM... probably Hot inside that eyeball. My switch said it was pulling 11.4 watts all by itself
View attachment 63125
Could IR heat be compromising the electronics with heat? Does anyone know if there is a protection circuit to shut things down if it is too hot?

I brought it inside and plugged it into an unmanaged POE switch in a lit room-- it fired up and BI began receiving video from it. I turned off the lights, and the IR's popped on and it is still running. While outside, it ran for about 90 minutes with IR's running.

I went to a manual setting for IR and turned it down to 10..... but would that reduce the wattage used and reduce the heat output? I guess I am assuming the heat here is the "smoking gun" to deal with....
View attachment 63126
What else should I be looking at with this? I'd rather not have the hassle of sending the cam back...

Afterthought--- This is a plastic housing--- Dahua normally uses metal housings-- maybe better at dissipating heat?
Very curious what other think about this...
I recently got my hands on this rebranded Dahua camera from Amcrest. The heat issue is sort of two-part...

1) The heat radiated outward is somewhat shunted due to the plastic casing. Metal to metal conducts and dissipates heat better - think of it as a poor-man heatsink on a computer, in our case, a CCTV camera. Metal to plastic, well, not so much in that regard. So where does the heat go? To the entire metal apparatus.

2) You will need to open up the camera and remove the silica bag wedged between the camera sensor metal PCB+plating and the control board PCB. There is a HUGE silica bag below the main PCB - which is well more than enough to consume all the humidity. Removing the small bag wedged between the two PCB's greatly reduced the heat contained within the camera internals. It now idles at 103 to 104F. It also concerned me that there's a Thermal Pad on the metal plating from the top inside the camera plate, which fits next to the bottom of the internal casing. This was effectively telling me this device does get rather warm. Prior to the removal of the smaller silica bag wedged between the two segments, I was seeing temperatures anywhere between 115 to 135F! This is not an ideal temperature for a CCTV camera, especially if it were to be mounted outdoors, and even more so if it was in direct/partial sunlight for a portion of the day. That temperature would skyrocket, and well - would likely spell the end for the camera.

Added what I am seeing from UniFi's POE switch port for this unit...
  • Lit area, no IR active:
    • Voltage: 53 – 53.25 Volts
    • Current: 46 – 54 mA
    • Wattage: 2.4 – 3.3 Watts
  • Non-lit area, IR cut, and IR LEDs on @100%:
    • Voltage: 53.10 Volts
    • Current: 64 – 67 mA
    • Wattage: 2.5 – 4 Watts
The values ranged and were always lightly-dynamic. Oddly enough, voltage with IR on resulted in very stable voltage values.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I recently got my hands on this rebranded Dahua camera from Amcrest. The heat issue is sort of two-part...

1) The heat radiated outward is somewhat shunted due to the plastic casing. Metal to metal conducts and dissipates heat better - think of it as a poor-man heatsink on a computer, in our case, a CCTV camera. Metal to plastic, well, not so much in that regard. So where does the heat go? To the entire metal apparatus.

2) You will need to open up the camera and remove the silica bag wedged between the camera sensor metal PCB+plating and the control board PCB. There is a HUGE silica bag below the main PCB - which is well more than enough to consume all the humidity. Removing the small bag wedged between the two PCB's greatly reduced the heat contained within the camera internals. It now idles at 103 to 104F. It also concerned me that there's a Thermal Pad on the metal plating from the top inside the camera plate, which fits next to the bottom of the internal casing. This was effectively telling me this device does get rather warm. Prior to the removal of the smaller silica bag wedged between the two segments, I was seeing temperatures anywhere between 115 to 135F! This is not an ideal temperature for a CCTV camera, especially if it were to be mounted outdoors, and even more so if it was in direct/partial sunlight for a portion of the day. That temperature would skyrocket, and well - would likely spell the end for the camera.

Added what I am seeing from UniFi's POE switch port for this unit...
  • Lit area, no IR active:
    • Voltage: 53 – 53.25 Volts
    • Current: 46 – 54 mA
    • Wattage: 2.4 – 3.3 Watts
  • Non-lit area, IR cut, and IR LEDs on @100%:
    • Voltage: 53.10 Volts
    • Current: 64 – 67 mA
    • Wattage: 2.5 – 4 Watts
The values ranged and were always lightly-dynamic. Oddly enough, voltage with IR on resulted in very stable voltage values.
I definitely thought the same thing regarding the plastic housing.

The tip on the SILICA bag--- fantastic! I will pull mine down again and open it up... Thanks!!
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :clap:

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I put this camera outside last morning and afternoon (from 5 AM to 1 PM), in direct sunlight on a temporary camera board I made a few years ago. The temperature of operation was no more than 110F at any given time. The white shroud was no more than 104F, and the black front of the camera was the only hot spot - 109.7F. Temps yesterday was between 70 to 90F with no clouds. Not in any rush to test it with the second silica bag smushed between the heat plate and the PCBs. :)

So I am fairly pleased with operating temperatures at this point in time. I just need to get a permanent spot set up at the soffit of the house. I am considering buying a couple more - primarily from the source vendor, Dahua.

Worth noting the microphone on this camera is quite sensitive - lots of audible clipping/popping with semi-loud sounds within 50ft of the camera. Sometimes got that with the noise cancelingactive. On the bright side, I am able to hear birds around 375ft away, road traffic about 600ft away, but then again - everything is flat here, not much vegetation/trees muffling/damping the sound. Nighttime IR "seems" decent, but 5 AM is currently the crack of dawn here in Kansas.

spile

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A question - Does the over-heating issue happen when using the original firmware that was designed for this model?

This thread interests me as I have just bought a IP5M-T1179EW for the front of the house and a IP4M-1026EW for the rear. I have been considering exchanging the IP4M-1026EW for another IP5M-T1179EW but now and especially after reading this thread I am not so sure...

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I put this camera outside last morning and afternoon (from 5 AM to 1 PM), in direct sunlight on a temporary camera board I made a few years ago. The temperature of operation was no more than 110F at any given time. The white shroud was no more than 104F, and the black front of the camera was the only hot spot - 109.7F. Temps yesterday was between 70 to 90F with no clouds. Not in any rush to test it with the second silica bag smushed between the heat plate and the PCBs. :)

So I am fairly pleased with operating temperatures at this point in time. I just need to get a permanent spot set up at the soffit of the house. I am considering buying a couple more - primarily from the source vendor, Dahua.

Worth noting the microphone on this camera is quite sensitive - lots of audible clipping/popping with semi-loud sounds within 50ft of the camera. Sometimes got that with the noise cancelingactive. On the bright side, I am able to hear birds around 375ft away, road traffic about 600ft away, but then again - everything is flat here, not much vegetation/trees muffling/damping the sound. Nighttime IR "seems" decent, but 5 AM is currently the crack of dawn here in Kansas.
What audio settings are you using?

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What audio settings are you using?
Currently have these settings active.
chrome_2020-06-18_00-21_4f803d61-9404-4661-b322-24b259cc5a25.png

When doing a quick audio spectrum sweep from my sound system at various levels, the clipping is quite notable with sounds over 3000hz and beyond. I don't have a dB meter on me, so I can't give the outputted volume - wouldn't rely on a phone app for that. :)

spile

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’ve been running this camera for a week on my QVR Pro system for a week with good results and no errors running 24/7. Qnap have a cam pack update that has this model listed.
It is positioned under a soffit to the right of our front door about 8 foot off the ground.

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes--- that firmware is in my cam right now... see the comments here:

While the firmware loads---- it does NOT provide the Smart IR auto-adjustment.... Apparently a hardware difference does not allow it...
I forgot to ask after switching to the Dahua firmware did you get any additional features like line crossing detection etc?

Reaction score
I forgot to ask after switching to the Dahua firmware did you get any additional features like line crossing detection etc?
I rely on Blue Iris for object-motion detection, so I don't know if they are there, or work, or not. I have not had "glitchy" behavior with mine since adjusting the IR levels down to about 40%. The Dahua firmware works fine!

GPSeek

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to report that I have the exact issue too: it freezes when running hot. I have 2 of them. They become hung around the same time each time around 10:30AM.
I think I saw somebody saying open the camera and remove some dehumidifiers somewhere but cannot find the thread. Did that help?
I'm going to open it during the weekend when I get a chance to see what can be done.

This camera certainly has thermal issues.