New AMD Ryzen

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
5K in 2013 for 20TB Raid 6 4U rack mount server is not being Ripped off. This project went out to bid, I use to work for Siemens Automation. your kinda making me think your like 17 years old right now.

Can I ask you a question? Besides shopping and building a few custom computers have you done any industrial equipment? Automation, Servers with 12 Hard drives running Raid 6, Custom code? and i am not talking about for a home user, I am talking about industry, where down time does not cost a headache, I am talking $1,000 of dollars per hour of lost revenue if your wrong? Then backing your choice with your own company finances? Are we on the same playing field?
5K in 2013 for 20TB Raid 6 4U rack mount server is not being Ripped off. This project went out to bid, I use to work for Siemens Automation. your kinda making me think your like 17 years old right now.
Threadripper 1950x is extreme overkill if used just for a Blue Iris load that runs on an FX8350. In fact regardless of camera load you're probably better off with an i7-8700 or i7-8700K. Thanks to hardware acceleration, they should be capable of handling a similar camera load, but at a third or half the power. You'd save several hundred $$$ on the purchase price and several hundred more on electricity bills over the life of the system. If you choose a system that runs 50 watts higher, that is 438 kilowatt hours per year. At the U.S. average rate of 12 cents per kWh, that is an extra $4.38 per month that you run the system (could be higher or lower depending on your actual electricity prices). That doesn't even factor in additional A/C runtime to remove the extra heat produced by a less efficient system.

Unless you intend to build one server to act as a virtualization host and retire multiple old servers, AMD Threadripper just doesn't make sense.
You know what you guys, Has this ever been tested? I have 4.5k at my disposal lets build two machines. I will post the usage, and CPU usage rate on both machines. The computer that preforms lesser, i will sell on crags list to recoup my losses. then i will also test it with our new prototype software that links to FB profile pics. (database heavy) KWH in a commercial setting is accounted for we can regain that KWH by swapping out a T12 light with a led Troffer. sorry guy but your admin kinda pissed me off. so now lets put your I7 to the test.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You know what you guys, Has this ever been tested? I have 4.5k at my disposal lets build two machines. I will post the usage, and CPU usage rate on both machines. The lesser i will sell on crags list to recoup my losses.
Please do!!! If possible, use the same power supply model, HDD/SSD/memory configuration and measure the power consumption of each system under load (and idle, just because).

I'd also encourage you to install the BiUpdateHelper tool I wrote so your performance data will be uploaded here: Blue Iris Update Helper

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Please do!!! If possible, use the same power supply model, HDD/SSD/memory configuration and measure the power consumption of each system under load (and idle, just because).

I'd also encourage you to install the BiUpdateHelper tool I wrote so your performance data will be uploaded here: Blue Iris Update Helper
I can do that BP2008, Every thing but the RAM, I will have our guys only install a 3TB and limit the database to 2 TB. No RAID 6 Controller as those are expensive.

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you want to spec out your Intel basic consumer product? Wait "Threadripper 1950x is extreme overkill if used just for a Blue Iris load" yeah no we are adding an additional 12 cameras and a LPC camera. Are you still okay with this test?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If it was just the original camera set then I'd say i7-8700 should have the best showing due to the lower TDP. But with 12 (13?) new cameras (FPS and resolution matters too!) then I'd probably have to recommend i7-8700K for its higher clock speed.

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If it was just the original camera set then I'd say i7-8700 should have the best showing due to the lower TDP. But with 12 (13?) new cameras (FPS and resolution matters too!) then I'd probably have to recommend i7-8700K for its higher clock speed.
Okay, I7-8700 Vs Thread ripper 1950 On blue iris, Same Power supply, not the same but best match in memory - (the differences due to requirements by manufactures). No OC. lets do two tests. Prime 95 for ups to 72 hours. then lets use BI+ my company typical back ground programs. i.e. Burning Disks, Sending Video to police, uploading video to Facebook, and websites for marking. are we on the same page?

I assume this is what most small business do with there BI servers. i will not even touch the new video surveillance software, because that is not fair. the Treadripper will kill it. (data base searches is just mathmatical calculations and AMD can not touch that on is home standard chipset)

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
"Websites for marking"? You mean the bingo stuff? Technically it is best practice for an NVR server to be dedicated to NVR duties. Though I imagine a couple of web server processes sitting in the background idling would not hurt anything too badly unless they were written by chimps.

You still haven't specified the resolution of the existing or new cameras --- for all I know you are going to try 13 new 8 megapixel cams which has the potential to choke up Blue Iris on any server.

i7-8700K is what I'm most interested in seeing in a direct head-to-head comparison against any ThreadRipper CPU. It is the fastest Intel offering that still has Quick Sync video, which is crucial for the greatest efficiency gain.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
i will not even touch the new video surveillance software, because that is not fair. the Treadripper will kill it. (data base searches is just mathmatical calculations and AMD can not touch that on is home standard chipset)
New video surveillance software? Besides Blue Iris? You realize that most other (much more expensive) VMS have much lighter CPU requirements than Blue Iris...

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, I7-8700 Vs Thread ripper 1950 On blue iris, Same Power supply, not the same but best match in memory - (the differences due to requirements by manufactures). No OC. lets do two tests. Prime 95 for ups to 72 hours. then lets use BI+ my company typical back ground programs. i.e. Burning Disks, Sending Video to police, uploading video to Facebook, and websites for marking. are we on the same page?

I assume this is what most small business do with there BI servers. i will not even touch the new video surveillance software, because that is not fair. the Treadripper will kill it. (data base searches is just mathmatical calculations and AMD can not touch that on is home standard chipset)

Whats rely upsetting to me is forget the fact your all drinking the Intel Kool-aid at the consumer level. no one has asked me why the new 3 software company we are using to replace blue iris are so database driven, and what they are looking at. let me give you a hint. three company's (Russian), American, and British. compile Facebook profile pics (any pic you set as a profile pic at some time) are stored. you walk through our video capture room i.e. lobby and the new software finds the best match, who you probably are, if you have been band from a gaming facility, how you spend your money online, and what your budget is made up of. Oh fyi if we dont capture your face, we have the license plate you drove in with.

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
New video surveillance software? Besides Blue Iris? You realize that most other (much more expensive) VMS have much lighter CPU requirements than Blue Iris...
Yes we do 2.6M per year. Look at my most recent thread. So you can tell we are setting aside a chunk of change. ( i don't agree with it) But i have to put food on the table.

however i will put two basic end user computer to the test. This will serve to figure out what the mom and pop owners will best benefit from. Mom and Pop are my roots. But now its all about BOINC Everywhere being applied to everything. anyhow i am done, i jumped on this treat because a "Staff member was not exactly telling the truth" I have had a few beers, so take what i said at that value, honestly things in this industry are changing everywhere. but for mom and pop places he was right, an off the shelf Intel computer will probably save you some $$$. For industrial users AMD is probably your best price for now, who knows in the next few months. also, no one follows your IP address. They follow your MAC address. Sorry drinking beer and letting what i know go. 25+ years in computer science. oh and your CPU cell phone, laptop, tablet, computer also broadcast a SN. probably your Ram too. So dont waist your time with proxy servers. and on that note probably going to get yelled at. or at least added to my FBI file.

Last edited:

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes we do 2.6M per year. Look at my most recent thread. So you can tell we are setting aside a chunk of change. ( i don't agree with it) But i have to put food on the table.

however i will put two basic end user computer to the test. This will serve to figure out what the mom and pop owners will best benefit from. Mom and Pop are my roots. But now its all about BOINC Everywhere being applied to everything. anyhow i am done, i jumped on this tread because a "Staff member was not exactly telling the truth" I have had a few beers, so take what i said at that value, honestly things in this industry are changing everywhere. but for mom and pop places he was right, an off the shelf Intel computer will probably save you some $$$ simply because intel gives major paybacks to US companys. For industrial users AMD is probably your best price for now, who knows in the next few months. also, no one follows your IP address. They follow your MAC address. Sorry drinking beer and letting what i know go. 25+ years in computer science. oh and your CPU cell phone, laptop, tablet, computer also broadcast a SN. probably your Ram too. So dont waist your time with proxy servers. and on that note probably going to get yelled at. or at least added to my FBI file. Yes we all have one.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no Intel Kool-aid here. It is a simple fact that Blue Iris only has one hardware-accelerated video decoding method, and that is H.264 decoding via Intel Quick Sync video. Quick sync moves a lot of calculations to the integrated graphics which can decode H.264 a great deal more efficiently than a software-based decoder. The result is lower CPU usage and lower energy usage. Intel and AMD are otherwise on roughly equal footing with regards to energy-efficiency. Hardware acceleration makes all the difference.

Most little Mom and Pop shops, homeowners, etc, are not going to fork over $800 for a Threadripper 1950X CPU. A more meaningful comparison would be with similarly priced CPUs like i7-8700 versus Ryzen 7 1700 or 1700x. Or i7-8700K versus Ryzen 7 1800x. In these tests, Intel performance would destroy AMD performance. Because of hardware acceleration that is simply not supported on the AMD platform. In fact I'm sure you could go as far back as third generation Intel Core series processors and still beat the closest-priced Ryzen CPU in Blue Iris. Second generation Intel, even, if using nothing bigger than 2-megapixel cameras.

A big part of the point which fenderman has been trying to make is: Those older generation Intel systems have been around so long that you can buy fully functional used and refurbished computers for a lot less money than you would have to spend on an AMD system. An AMD system would cost more to start with, and cost more in the long term too, in the form of higher electricity bills.

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no Intel Kool-aid here. It is a simple fact that Blue Iris only has one hardware-accelerated video decoding method, and that is H.264 decoding via Intel Quick Sync video. Quick sync moves a lot of calculations to the integrated graphics which can decode H.264 a great deal more efficiently than a software-based decoder. The result is lower CPU usage and lower energy usage. Intel and AMD are otherwise on roughly equal footing with regards to energy-efficiency. Hardware acceleration makes all the difference.

Most little Mom and Pop shops, homeowners, etc, are not going to fork over $800 for a Threadripper 1950X CPU. A more meaningful comparison would be with similarly priced CPUs like i7-8700 versus Ryzen 7 1700 or 1700x. Or i7-8700K versus Ryzen 7 1800x. In these tests, Intel performance would destroy AMD performance. Because of hardware acceleration that is simply not supported on the AMD platform. In fact I'm sure you could go as far back as third generation Intel Core series processors and still beat the closest-priced Ryzen CPU in Blue Iris. Second generation Intel, even, if using nothing bigger than 2-megapixel cameras.

A big part of the point which fenderman has been trying to make is: Those older generation Intel systems have been around so long that you can buy fully functional used and refurbished computers for a lot less money than you would have to spend on an AMD system. An AMD system would cost more to start with, and cost more in the long term too, in the form of higher electricity bills.
Yeah i disagree, Mathematical Calculations have changed, Intel had a better translation with the GPU, Not so sure that is the case any more could be wrong. But there has been a movement in the market place.

BP, this is the wrong place for this, i assume you are a real staff member? can you see my email? give me your feed back on my personal Email after you recuse me.

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah i disagree, Mathematical Calculations have changed, Intel had a better translation with the GPU, Not so sure that is the case any more could be wrong. But there has been a movement in the market place.

BP, this is the wrong place for this, i assume you are a real staff member? can you see my email? give me your feed back on my personal Email after you recuse me.

What part makes less and less Sense?

Bionic The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC, pronounced /bɔɪŋk/ – rhymes with "oink"[2]), an open-source middleware system, supports volunteer and grid computing.[3] Originally developed to support the SETI@home project, it became generalized as a platform for other distributed applications in areas as diverse as mathematics, linguistics, medicine, molecular biology, climatology, environmental science, and astrophysics, among others.[4] BOINC aims to enable researchers to tap into the enormous processing resources of multiple personal computers around the wold. or how its now open to software develpers?

Floating point equations of AMD treadripper?

Or was it the MAC address info?

or the fact that new software incorporates your server in facial reconstitution using BOINC.

Last edited:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
:wow: like an Australian show down of Holden vs Ford can’t wait now intel vs amd
As fenderman says we the little users would just want a Standard system that doesn’t cost a heap
Well my free i5 does ok for blue iris and my laptop does ok for hikvision
Can I get a link to that beer please this was a good read

Attachments

Garner Temer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What part makes less and less Sense?

Bionic The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing in areas as diverse as mathematics, linguistics, medicine, molecular biology, climatology, environmental science, and astrophysics, among others.[4] BOINC aims to enable to tap into the enormous processing resources of multiple personal computers around the wold. its now open to software to develpers?

Floating point equations of AMD treadripper?

Or was it the MAC address info?

or the fact that new software incorporates your server in facial reconstitution using BOINC.

Yeah yeah yeah, project plowshare never existed, The government (any NATO government for that mater + China) can not look at you via your cell phone camera or web cam, and yes us gambling facility's do not share information about you, we would never use BIONIC and our server to search Facebook profile and no we would never use basic AI algorithms to look at profiles and get facial recantation, its not totally there yet, but when we Factor in your Geo location most of them time we are shown 3-5 possibility. Then we chose witch one you are unless of course your that person that has nothing more then a pet as every profile. No way will FB will not require you to soon to upload a Pic of yourself in real time to compare to other other pics of you via google, Instagram, match.com or any other database connected to DHS. also all cell phone software company's think its so more convenient for you to have a facial ID or a thumbprint then a password. I'm done probably going to jail in the morning. I use to love this industry, Now I'm and honestly i seriously think i have done more harm then good. Does that make sense to you? In my walking this earth, i have been on computers before there where GUI's, I have written code that has taken away maybe 1000-6000 jobs in one state alone, that would be 1% of the working force in the state i now reside in. Yeah please tell me I don't make sense.

:wow: like an Australian show down of Holden vs Ford can’t wait now intel vs amd
As fenderman says we the little users would just want a Standard system that doesn’t cost a heap
Sure, its

Oh no Marku2, I have tried to drink with Australians in Calune, Hong Kong, England, and in Italy... you guys make Russians look like kids. What is it with you guys anyhow? (not complaining always a good time) but i pretty sure the Australian way abroad is find an American get American piss drunk and hook him up with a wildebeest. then when we see you somehow we are part of the gang. what the hell is that? (FYI Totality love that them wombats leave me wondering if i am coming and going).

seriously, I love you guys, but only once have not made a meeting, that was in Hong Kong. my meeting was at 9am, I woke up at 10:30am to my boss calling me, Not happy asking me where i was, scared i told him the truth and told him how I ended up with some Austrians the night before. i shit you not he Chuckled and said "say no more i will reschedule the meeting for tomorrow been there done that, Now go drink a beer you will feel better."

Last edited:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure, its

Oh no Marku2, I have tried to drink with Australians in Calune, Hong Kong, England, and in Italy... you guys make Russians look like kids. What is it with you guys anyhow? (not complaining always a good time) but i pretty sure the Australian way abroad is find an American get American piss drunk and hook him up with a wildebeest. then when we see you somehow we are part of the gang. what the hell is that? (FYI Totality love that them wombats leave me wondering if i am coming and going).
Lol as Paul Hogan once said now that’s a knife have a good day mate as we say
Well I’m part bionic have three systems hooked up lol
but my hand keeps slapping my face so I need to work on this
We get Americans really drunk and tell them to watch out for the drop bears there an angry cousin of the koala bear that can rip you face off in seconds and the fact that most things in the bush out here will kill you they believe us lol and we don’t have the second amendment here so a cricket bat works well in the right hands

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Damn! Deja Vu...while reading this thread I got this sensation that it's 1970 again. I'm on R&R, sitting in a bar in Sydney, got pulled in there off the street by a Aussie who bought me several beers. Anyway, there was a loud exchange going on between a U.S. Marine and another sailor about who builds a better truck, Ford or Chevy. Man, seems like yesterday. Certainly, I can't recall who said what 47 years later, I only remember they both made good points.
With that said, I'm outta here...don't feel like I've drank enough beer to participate in this brawl. :lol: