New and in need of suggestions

sdw215

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Obviously new here and am wanting to purchase the BI software for a single camera. However, being new, I'm looking for advice on camera and anything else needed.

I use Linux at home but have a Mac Mini available, if it'll do. I have a feeling I'm in for an education so please feel free to school me. :)

Situation: neighborhood experiencing car break-ins. They appear to be teens and are not afraid of motion sensitive lighting, flood lights or security cameras.

I am in need of something that can pull a clear image for the police if/when needed. Motion activated seems like a plus but again, I'm a n00b.

I have a camera in mind and will link it here if it allows seeing as this is my first post.

The floor is now open, as they say and thank you in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Outdoor-Wireless-Security-Bullet/dp/B019WXCX28/ref=pd_sim_421_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ak6FpOZSL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=TX4F2DYQ8GH96N0EKCG5

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You'll need to run Windows (XP or newer) for Blue Iris.

If it's just one camera, however, you may not even need something like Blue Iris. Many of the inexpensive IP Cameras (Dahua, for example) come with basic software that will allow you to continuously record the camera video stream to a hard drive. With just one camera and a judicious choice of resolution and frame rates, you can store many days of video before you start overwriting old clips. No need to set up motion detection or anything like that.

Blue Iris is great software, but for a single camera it's simply overkill unless you need some complicated monitoring and alerts.