New and Overwhelmed

Kk9

n3wb
Reaction score
You could setup a bunch of discrete BI servers that all 'pushed' alert/trigger videos from the 'shared' cameras to a central webserver, and whip up some sort of website to view them..... this wouldn't be as sweet as a single BI instance, but could be workable enough.
eehh.. yeah, that's nuts. Too much. I'm basically wishing a software feature to exist that has no reason to exist except for in this one case, lol. I may have to go the original route of directing everyone to connect to whatever vpn goes to what cameras.

I'm looking at an online service option called OpenEye but they look like they only operate off their own servers and don't offer their software as a self-hosted option. Because that would be perfect, especially if only for the connectivity aspect to wrap around a vms like BI.

Kk9

n3wb
Reaction score
Just remember, Open Source Software is only free if your time is worthless. :winktongue:
I disagree, but this isn't open source software. Just a name.
That said, for this kind of work, I don't mind paying and fully expect to.

Kk9

n3wb
Reaction score
Come to think of it; all this said - Aren't there businesses who monitor cameras of multiple locations offsite from a corporate office? I realize that what I'm doing isn't that uncommon, only in a residential sense.
What are enterprises doing to accomplish this? Not L2L, I hope..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just remember, Open Source Software is only free if your time is worthless. :winktongue:
Still .. paid for software has taken up a lot of folks time also .. recently had license issues with Microsoft WIndows 10 Pro on a used Business PC took a lot of my time.
( royal pita it was .. )

Also, the point of Open Source Software is Free as in liberty.. not Free as in beer ..

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
eehh.. yeah, that's nuts. Too much. I'm basically wishing a software feature to exist that has no reason to exist except for in this one case, lol. I may have to go the original route of directing everyone to connect to whatever vpn goes to what cameras.

I'm looking at an online service option called OpenEye but they look like they only operate off their own servers and don't offer their software as a self-hosted option. Because that would be perfect, especially if only for the connectivity aspect to wrap around a vms like BI.
Check out the Blue Iris innate feature for "Remote Management." Quoting from the Help Manual:

"Remote management allows you to use one Blue Iris installation to connect to potentially dozens of others and to administer and access features on those remote installations as though you were at those locations."

I believe this feature was added specifically to address the notion of a 'neighborhood watch' type of collaboration.