New backyard Wildlife Cam Install

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you might bring it down a little bit and focus the IR more outwards...

I thought this through and I think that I'll do this. The (8-foot high) 2-inch pvc pipe has too much sway in high winds, so it's gotta be rebuild anyway...and it stands to reason that raising the IR throw angle will potentially gain better night vision depth. I'll post back here with the results when I get to it in a week or two.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its trying to compensate the exposure for the hotspot and that makes the rest of the image darker than it should be, your not really getting the low light performance you were looking for.. so dont light up the ground for a wildlife cam, try to keep IR reflection to an absolute minimum.. branches, grass, nothing other than bugs or really close critters should light it up like that.

your not really needing great detail so let it run a slow shutter with high gain, you should be able to see that whole yard at night and identify the creature.

most wildlife cams typically work best at body height for the target critter.. if its small dogs kep it down low, your at like elephant height.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yah baby. I'll use this sucker which I've been saving for the last 10 years...I knew it'd come in handy before I died. I'll install it chest high into a concrete footing. I doubt it will sway in the wind, eh? And, as an added benefit, it'll survive a wayward rhinoceros wandering into the yard and bumping into it.

rhino-proof-post.jpg

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you might bring it down a little bit and focus the IR more outwards, I thought that looked wide for a 6mm nice to see the fov on a 3.6
Hey thanks for the excellent suggestion Nayr. I dropped the installed height of this Longse S500 camera from 7-feet down to 5-feet and the IR cast at the 5-foot height is longer resulting in a much larger viewing area. Superb idea bro; thank you. Below is a comparison of Blue Iris clip snapshots of each installed height. UNFORTUNATELY (for the sake of accuracy) I must report that the "Before Image" was recorded with the original Longse S500 firmware and the "After Image" was recorded with Klasipca's new firmware (which he posted several days ago), although I am certain that lowering the height of the S500 IR has resulted in a longer IR throw and significantly better lighting of my back yard. I'm considering lowering this camera down to a 4-foot height in the future.

Before-(7-foot-mount-height).jpg After-(5-foot-mount-height).jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the excellent suggestion Nayr. I dropped the installed height of this Longse S500 camera from 7-feet down to 5-feet and the IR cast at the 5-foot height is longer resulting in a much larger viewing area. Superb idea bro; thank you. Below is a comparison of Blue Iris clip snapshots of each installed height. UNFORTUNATELY (for the sake of accuracy) I must report that the "Before Image" was recorded with the original Longse S500 firmware and the "After Image" was recorded with Klasipca's new firmware (which he posted several days ago), although I am certain that lowering the height of the S500 IR has resulted in a longer IR throw and significantly better lighting of my back yard. I'm considering lowering this camera down to a 4-foot height in the future.

View attachment 11697 View attachment 11698
thats much better, and a great example how installing it and framing it can be just as important (or more so) than the actual camera its self.. The best camera in the world installed poorly wont perform any better than the cheapest junk you can find installed correctly.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats much better, and a great example how installing it and framing it can be just as important (or more so) than the actual camera its self.. The best camera in the world installed poorly wont perform any better than the cheapest junk you can find installed correctly.
That camera was not installed poorly. It was -- however -- not positioned optimally. rofl.gif

videobruce

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the distance between the camera and those two objects that are reflecting in the center of the screen?

videobruce

n3wb
Reaction score
I couldn't tell if they were lights or refections, one of the videos, they weren't visible. Are they are the edge of the grass before those bushes (or whatever they are)?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5MP Longse RoboCat LRDC60S500 catches another deer with the munchies roaming around my yard.

Don't forget to set the YouTube playback to HD.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks Q, these are the best sample night videos of this camera so far.. everyone kept posting still images with no moving targets, and it never really showed that they are capable of.. thats pretty good, just slightly overexposed but it dont matter for wildlife so I wouldn't mess with it.

geebee

n3wb
Reaction score
Great idea! I might have to put one by my chicken coop and ditch the old trail cam!