New BI doesn't return the signal for some cameras after router/switch reboot, gets stuck at no signal, was fine on old BI

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't really see where "skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests" fixed the issues for these guys, it was all speculation in these threads, like I said, that option was already unchecked before v5.6.2 anyway, I really appreciate your help but I believe it's something else and my problem has to do with what exactly the changelog for 5.6.2 is saying which is the new MAC discovery feature. The changelog says that we can get it back to the old ONVIF discovery method but I am failing to see how to achieve that (Checking the box for "Get ONVIF trigger events" option didn't fix it). Unless they hardcoded something in the software with new versions and we can't really completely go back to the old method after a camera has lost the signal.
That is what the skip initial MAC reachability feature is for...to turn off the new MAC discovery feature. Some cameras were still problematic even if they had a static IP address set.

Have you tried the find/inspect button again after the update on a problematic camera?

And the Get ONVIF trigger events is for pulling the motion detection FROM the camera and is not part of the problem or this forum would have blown up as many use the camera motion instead of BI motion.

What camera makes/models are they and where is there no profiles in the mainstream and substream? Maybe it is a problematic camera with the update?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR then you didn't read my first post here, my issue isn't about BI changing the IP address of my cameras like his last link says.
I did read it and I just re-read it and in no place did you say ANYTHING about camera IP addresses so it was an attempt by several member to offer YOU the same fix that worked for several OTHER members.

In your case in did not...let's move on !:cool:

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
That is what the skip initial MAC reachability feature is for...to turn off the new MAC discovery feature. Some cameras were still problematic even if they had a static IP address set.

Have you tried the find/inspect button again after the update on a problematic camera?

And the Get ONVIF trigger events is for pulling the motion detection FROM the camera and is not part of the problem or this forum would have blown up as many use the camera motion instead of BI motion.

What camera makes/models are they and where is there no profiles in the mainstream and substream? Maybe it is a problematic camera with the update?
What makes me confused is that "the skip initial MAC reachability" option was already there and unchecked by default on both the old and new versions, that's why this changelog is confusing me, if it was unchecked by default in new versions (5.6.2 and after) and checked by default on old versions then that changelog would have made more sense.
I tried the inspect on a problematic camera and it came like this:
Screenshot 2023-09-06 154309.jpg
Clicking on close changes the values of MAIN and ONVIF source but the problem is still there after connection loss. The only way to return the signal is to restart the camera or only go to the camera settings and click OK (no need to change any settings).

I have a total of 7 cameras, models are:

DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
DS-2CD2052-I
DS-2CD2642FWD-IZ
DS-2CD2042WD-I (have two cameras of the same model)
DS-2CD2183G0-I (have two cameras of the same model)

I did read it and I just re-read it and in no place did you say ANYTHING about camera IP addresses so it was an attempt by several member to offer YOU the same fix that worked for several OTHER members.

In your case in did not...let's move on !:cool:
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to sound rude or anything, I apologize. I am trying hard to figure out what the issue is, I now understand my issue is most likely something else. Will update the firmware for all my cameras and see since I haven't updated them since long. Stupid hikvision cameras need Internet Explorer to update the firmware which is no longer available on Windows 10, will try to find a PC with Windows 7, update them and report back.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow thanks! This really worked :oops: It's really helpful not only because of firmware updates but I need to change the OSD settings etc. which won't work without internet explorer.

Screenshot 2023-09-06 155540.jpg
Hmm will see, will make updating the firmware the last resort then. I will try to play around with settings.
For now I will rely on the watchdog option.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is interesting is in that Find/inspect screen, you see the profiles for main and sub that start with "/streaming/channels...."

That profile should be in the main and sub stream profile on the camera screen, whereas your only shows a "\"

That leads me to believe that for some reason there is a glitch/bug in your cameras when you cross that update that added the look for MAC, etc.

Have you tried deleting and re-adding the camera in BI - sometimes that can fix a lot of things, especially when something behind the scenes got wonked out that doesn't rear its ugly head until after a BI update.

And yes +1 on not updating for the sake of updating. Sometimes bad things happen.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Unless the release notes specifically mention it fixing a problem you are experiencing, more than likely it won't fix an issue and may make the camera worse by removing functionality or worse brick it.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • Dahua 5241E-Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots.
  • Dahua 49225 and 49425 PTZ that Dahua intentionally removed autotracking with an update to force people to buy the more expensive PTZ.
  • Hikvision DS-2DEA425IW-DW PTZ that Hikvision intentionally removed autotracking with an update to force people to buy the more expensive PTZ (*V5.7.3 220315 -Remove auto-tracking functions on DE4A).
  • Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen, especially if you live in the USA.
  • Hikvision ANPR DS-2CD4A26FWD camera that lost all ability to read plates - kinda makes a plate reader camera useless.
  • Hikvision camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • Hikvision DS-7616NI-Q2 NVR that has the APIs changed. This is a big deal if you run automation.
  • Hikvision DS-7616NI-K2 NVR that loses basic functionality when updated.
  • Hikvision wifi camera that loses the ability to use wifi after a firmware update and was intentionally removed due to too many complaints that the camera was dropping signal.
  • DH-DB61 Doorbell that loses API functionality. A big deal for someone with automation.
  • DS-2CD2387G2-LU that loses API functionality. A big deal for someone with automation.
  • Hikvision iVM4200 v3.8 - loses the free ability to use the computer as storage and now need to subscribe.
  • Dahua IPC-HFW1320S that started phoning home using 60MB/hr and costing someone thousands of dollars in data overages when he got his next mobile bill.
  • Dahua 5442 that will not allow playback of the SD card.
  • Dahua NVR58XX-4KS2 that had custom protocol (ability to add a camera via RTSP) removed possibly to force people to purchase same brand cameras.
  • SmartPSS that intentionally removed the ability to use the Intercom for those with VTO devices after firmware version 2.02.08
  • Countless other instances where the camera or NVR simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera or NVR went into Chinese.
  • Manufacturers are now preventing their equipment to be updated with an older working firmware after it was updated to a more recent firmware.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Another thing to consider is that the same model could have different firmware for different chipsets used during the life of that model. So you run the risk of bricking if you do not know what chipset you have.

Here is an example - the HFW3549T1-AS-PV is available in 2 versions of firmware across 3 different chipsets for the same model camera:
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S4 uses the HX3XXX-Taurus firmware.
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV and IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S3 use the HX5XXX-Volt firmware
In this instance, Dahua added an S# designation after the model number (while Hikvision adds a C), but many do not and then you try to update with a firmware not compatible with your chipset and potentially brick it.

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried deleting and re-adding the camera in BI - sometimes that can fix a lot of things, especially when something behind the scenes got wonked out that doesn't rear its ugly head until after a BI update.
OK so here's the story: every time I tested I used to import the settings from a reg file. I just now tried to completely uninstall and delete BI registry settings and start from scratch by adding the cameras manually one by one while the skip initial mac is checked, and looks like the signal is returned correctly every time after connection loss. I believe the old config had some issues since I've been using it since BI 4.x versions. I have a lot of setup and settings time to do now since I am starting from scratch :eek: but I am so happy the issue is fixed thanks to you guys.
Just for the sake of testing, I tried unchecking the skip initial MAC and the problem returns. So for whatever reason the check to skip the MAC wasn't taking effect on the old config file I was using.
Thanks a lot man.
And yes +1 on not updating for the sake of updating. Sometimes bad things happen.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Unless the release notes specifically mention it fixing a problem you are experiencing, more than likely it won't fix an issue and may make the camera worse by removing functionality or worse brick it.
I only updated one camera which so far seems to not have caused any problems and update went fine, but I can no longer access the camera by using chrome, FF or any other browser other than IE now. I used to be able to at least change some settings using FF before the firmware upgrade. Too good I was busy and didn't continue updating the others :D I saw your post yesterday and then decided to not update the remaining ones.
And damn, these issues you listed after firmware updates are scary :oops:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK so here's the story: every time I tested I used to import the settings from a reg file. I just now tried to completely uninstall and delete BI registry settings and start from scratch by adding the cameras manually one by one while the skip initial mac is checked, and looks like the signal is returned correctly every time after connection loss. I believe the old config had some issues since I've been using it since BI 4.x versions. I have a lot of setup and settings time to do now since I am starting from scratch :eek: but I am so happy the issue is fixed thanks to you guys.
Just for the sake of testing, I tried unchecking the skip initial MAC and the problem returns. So for whatever reason the check to skip the MAC wasn't taking effect on the old config file I was using.
Thanks a lot man.

I only updated one camera which so far seems to not have caused any problems and update went fine, but I can no longer access the camera by using chrome, FF or any other browser other than IE now. I used to be able to at least change some settings using FF before the firmware upgrade. Too good I was busy and didn't continue updating the others :D I saw your post yesterday and then decided to not update the remaining ones.
And damn, these issues you listed after firmware updates are scary :oops:
I am glad you were able to figure it out. It sucks that you have to re-build, but the plus side is you will find the system will perform much better. I ended up doing a similar thing about 1.5 years ago (different issue) when one of my cameras went wonky after an update. While it was a pain, overall performance improved and RAM usage went down. I think going thru so many versions that eventually something hangs up and eventually can cause an issue like what you are experiencing.

Yes, some of the intentional removal of stuff is scary. Back in the day, we would get a NOOB post every month because they updated their PTZ camera and lost auto-tracking - the main reason why said camera was bought! Or the LPR camera that lost the ability to read USA plates - that is a big deal if you are in the USA!