New BI doesn't return the signal for some cameras after router/switch reboot, gets stuck at no signal, was fine on old BI

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!
I am having an issue that I didn't have with BI 5.4.4 before upgrading to latest (5.7.9.4 and now on 5.7.9.7), when I for example restart the router or switch (for troubleshooting purposes) or disable the ethernet adapter, all my cameras go no signal (obviously) but the problem is that when I get the connection back, BI doesn't return the signal for many of them and I have to go to each of those camera settings and only click OK (without changing any settings) for BI to recognize the signal again. You can easily re-produce this by disabling the ethernet adapter in device manager, wait for the cameras to all show "no signal" and then re-enable the adapter, many of them will stay no signal no matter how much you wait. In BI 5.4.4 I didn't have this issue and I just tried again on that old version to confirm. I also tried on another PC (installed trial version) and I am having the same issue with 5.7.9.7

What I tried so far:

1. Tried on another PC.

2. Tried a lot to change the camera settings and IP camera configuration including stream timecode and keep-alives etc.

3. Tried to replace the switch and router

4. Tried disabling recording, enabling trigger or disabling it, nothing helped.

5. Tried changing RTSP make and model and matched them with my cameras, also didn't help.

6. Tried on old BI version (5.4.4) and everything is working fine and the signal is returned quickly after a router reboot or adapter disable/enable.

Sometimes 3 out of 7 of my cameras don't return the signal at all and I wait more than 20 minutes, but once I go to camera settings and only click OK, the signal returns after around 30 seconds. Restarting the camera doesn't get the signal back as well. When I try to close BI when it's at this no signal state for some cameras, it gets stuck and I have to end it in task manager. It's also random, sometimes 6 out of 7 return the signal fine and sometimes only 1 of them is returned.

So it must be an issue with new BI versions. (also same problem on 5.7.9.4)
Is there anything I can do to fix this? as I said, you can re-produce it easily. This problem is really annoying since I work in a big workshop and I sometimes need to restart the router or switch (for various reasons), then many of my cameras are stuck at no signal and the recording is stopped.
All my cameras are IP, the brand is hikvision.

I sent support already and waiting for their reply, but hoping someone has an idea of what could be causing this in newer versions.

Thanks in advance.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have static IP's assigned in all of the cameras?
If not, you should.
The nework should be setup as such that you could reboot the router, without affecting the cameras.
To do this: plug all cameras into the POE switch.
Plug the BI computer into this same switch.
Use another cable to connect the switch to the router.

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. Yes they all have static IP and the PC is connected to the same switch, I even tried to dedicate a switch only for cameras without using a router and the same thing happens. Like I said, was and is still fine without this issue on old BI 5.4.4 using the same network (just tried again), there must be a new setting or something in new versions that is causing this but I can't find it or figure it out.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
May or may not be the issue, but it's best to only install versions of BI that are deemed stable, otherwise you are a Beta tester.
You might read the what's new section of the help file to see if it notes the change.
The current beta release vers is 5.7.9.7.
The current stable release is 5.7.8.3

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
@TonyR here's a screenshot, it's random so any camera is prone to display and get stuck at "no signal" after connection reset:

Screenshot 2023-09-06 000435.jpg

I tried changing all the checkboxes in advanced (unchecking RTSP keep-alives, checking skip initial MAC etc.) and also tried to change the make and model to my exact camera but the same happens.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR here's a screenshot, it's random so any camera is prone to display and get stuck at "no signal" after connection reset:

View attachment 171636

I tried changing all the checkboxes in advanced (unchecking RTSP keep-alives, checking skip initial MAC etc.) and also tried to change the make and model to my exact camera but the same happens.
I was going to suggest Checking the box "skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests" but you say you've done that, so......:idk:
I'm thinking @looney2ns is right.

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I tried again just now to "uncheck skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests" to make sure and it's still doing the same. I will try again tomorrow and go back to previous versions one by one and see in which version this started happening and then read the changelog in the PDF file as suggested by @looney2ns for the version where it started happening. Any idea where I can download previous versions? I saw a link here in ipcamtalk but looks like it's only for update files and not full installation files.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All you need are the update files to roll back, no need for the full install file.
There are a few previous versions you can install from the Blue Iris about page.
If any changes were made they would be noted. In the what's new section of even in later editions of the install.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've noticed similar behavior on one system a few times in the last several months. Probably caused by a bug in Blue Iris making the camera instance get stuck in a partially loaded state or something. As the affected cameras and the server weren't at my house, I haven't reproduced the issue on-demand and so I haven't reported it to the developer.

I think the solution is in the camera properties > Watchdog tab, where there are options to have the camera restart occur automatically.

See "Restart camera window after". I have set it to 2 timeouts, but it is possible it will need to be 1 timeout in order to work properly. I really don't understand fully what this option does but I must assume it is a "more complete" restart than Blue Iris was already doing when a video stream is lost.

1693953878599.png

Aside, I have no idea what the "Interpret monochrome video as a loss of signal" means since it isn't mentioned in the help file. Monochrome video happens all the time with IP cameras (IR mode, lol). But the box is checked by default and obviously cameras aren't getting restarted constantly so I don't know what that option does. I turned it off on one camera and haven't noticed any difference in behavior.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Aside, I have no idea what the "Interpret monochrome video as a loss of signal" means since it isn't mentioned in the help file. Monochrome video happens all the time with IP cameras (IR mode, lol). But the box is checked by default and obviously cameras aren't getting restarted constantly so I don't know what that option does. I turned it off on one camera and haven't noticed any difference in behavior.
In my experience, I think it means an all black screen. Those of us running LPR will get loss of signal errors at night because we run such fast shutters that the image is black except when a plate goes by. Unchecking that and the error goes away.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@wittaj good to know. My LPR doesn't get anywhere near full black at night I wouldn't think it is even possible for a camera to use exactly the same color value for all pixels without it being a malfunction.

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
@bp2008 wow setting watchdog to restart the camera window after 1 timeout fixed the issue for me. Thanks a lot! It's only about restarting the camera and new versions don't restore the signal properly for all cameras without restarting the camera either manually or via the watchdog tab. I hope BI fixes this issue as it's really annoying but glad a workaround exists. Thanks again.

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
OK so I installed updates one by one until I reached the update where the problem started happening. 5.6.2.0 is the version where the issue started happening, 5.6.1.3 was fine without this problem.

Here's the changelog for 5.6.2 (where the issue started)

Screenshot 2023-09-06 140455.jpg

So I guess it's about the new MAC address camera discovery. Now to find how to disable this in new versions.
If someone knows how to make the new versions behave like 5.6.1.3 (or earlier) I would highly appreciate it.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK so I installed updates one by one until I reached the update where the problem started happening. 5.6.2.0 is the version where the issue started happening, 5.6.1.3 was fine without this problem.

Here's the changelog for 5.6.2 (where the issue started)

View attachment 171677

So I guess it's about the new MAC address camera discovery. Now to find how to disable this in new versions.
If someone knows how to make the new versions behave like 5.6.1.3 (or earlier) I would highly appreciate it.
The fix is what @TonyR posted in #7, which you already had unchecked, so your issue is something different or a bug with your system.

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
"skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests" is already unchecked by default on old BI versions and new versions so it doesn't have anything to do with this IMO, anyway I already checked it and it didn't fix the problem. Currently trying to find the setting to get new versions to behave like old ones. It should be something to do with ONVIF discovery according to the changelog.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests" is already unchecked by default on old BI versions and new versions so it doesn't have anything to do with this IMO, anyway I already checked it and it didn't fix the problem. Currently trying to find the setting to get new versions to behave like old ones. It should be something to do with ONVIF discovery according to the changelog.
And yet there are dozens of threads here where this happened to folks when this update happened and checking the box fixed it. So then it is something else. Here is a small sampling.

Try the find/inspect button on one of the problem cameras and see if that gets it going.

When you first set up the camera, did you type in the IP address, username and password and then find/inspect or did you go straight to find/inspect and let it pull up all the cameras it found and then you selected from there? If you did the latter, that could be the issue.

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
When you first set up the camera, did you type in the IP address, username and password and then find/inspect or did you go straight to find/inspect and let it pull up all the cameras it found and then you selected from there? If you did the latter, that could be the issue.
I used the former, I always set my cameras manually and don't rely on the inspect feature.

And yet there are dozens of threads here where this happened to folks when this update happened and checking the box fixed it. So then it is something else. Here is a small sampling.

I don't really see where "skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests" fixed the issues for these guys, it was all speculation in these threads, like I said, that option was already unchecked before v5.6.2 anyway, I really appreciate your help but I believe it's something else and my problem has to do with what exactly the changelog for 5.6.2 is saying which is the new MAC discovery feature. The changelog says that we can get it back to the old ONVIF discovery method but I am failing to see how to achieve that (Checking the box for "Get ONVIF trigger events" option didn't fix it). Unless they hardcoded something in the software with new versions and we can't really completely go back to the old method after a camera has lost the signal.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't really see where "skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests" fixed the issues for these guys, it was all speculation in these threads....
Then you didn't read ALL of the links @wittaj posted...it WAS definitely the cure in the last one. :headbang:
Your issue is apparently something else.

xperiahole

n3wb
Reaction score
@TonyR then you didn't read my first post here, my issue isn't about BI changing the IP address of my cameras like his last link says. That's a completely different issue. :confused:
Meanwhile I will use the fix in the watchdog tab as suggested by @bp2008
Thanks for your help guys.