New Blue Iris Box - 6th Gen I7-6700

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alright, last question, the i7-2600s computer only supports usb 2.0 and has no option for upgrade as its ultra small form factor. I have blue iris recording on external 3.0 drives. Will usb 2.0 be fast enough for this?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on your bit rates. USB 2.0 connected disks are usually capable of roughly 160 Mbps sustained write speed and most camera loads are a lot smaller than that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, last question, the i7-2600s computer only supports usb 2.0 and has no option for upgrade as its ultra small form factor. I have blue iris recording on external 3.0 drives. Will usb 2.0 be fast enough for this?
buy a unit that will hold a local 3.5 drive..dont mess with usb.

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was told by folks on this forum to get a refurb Dell Optiplex from the dell us outlet store. They come with 3 years onsite warranty. I just bought an optiplex 7040 with i7-6700, 16gb ddr4, 250gb ssd nvme for $670. Look up the configuration you want and call a rep. More discounts. paid $55 for 1TB purple HDD and thats where I hope to save the recorded data.

Edit: No graphics card. I was told it's unnecessary and consumes more power. This is an optiflex small form factor.

Costco has deals on the XPS 8900 and I think they add a year on the warranty. I was going to get one until someone reminded me that an NVR PC needn't be large and expensive :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is quite expensive for an i7-6700 from the outlet store, perhaps because they haven't had a decent sale/coupon this year yet that I've noticed.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed that would make it cost more, while not being a meaningful improvement in performance for a Blue Iris system. But it is a high performance boot disk that doesn't require one of your HDD slots so there is that.

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Indeed that would make it cost more, while not being a meaningful improvement in performance for a Blue Iris system. But it is a high performance boot disk that doesn't require one of your HDD slots so there is that.
Yea. I probably did get carried away with the NVMe. I was hoping to do more things on this machine. Funny how I can't remember what though :D

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just wanted to report back: got an ultra small form factor dell 990 for $120 with an i7-2600s. Replaced the hard drive with an SSD I had and upgraded the ram to 8 gigs. All in all, it's running my 4 1080p cameras at 9% cpu (down from 38% cpu on my i3-4170t). This is partially because of the much more powerful i7 (despite being a few generations older) and partially because I'm now able to use quick sync hardware acceleration on the cpu (the old computer had a graphics card). It's performing extremely well! One interesting note for people who might run into it - I had one 4 MP camera that wouldn't work with hardware acceleration on for some reason. I assume this is because the intel hd 2000 is so old and can't handle decoding 4k video. I just reduced the resolution on the camera to 1080p since I don't need 4k anyways and it works great now.