New Blue Iris build

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My main concern is that OEMs such as HP often get heavily customized motherboards that only support the features they intend to use. Proprietary power supply connectors or an unusually small number of SATA ports for example. So XMP might not be supported at all.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My main concern is that OEMs such as HP often get heavily customized motherboards that only support the features they intend to use. Proprietary power supply connectors or an unusually small number of SATA ports for example. So XMP might not be supported at all.
Great info. I waited on the RAM purchase for now as I don't think it will matter without the settings. I know @fenderman knows HP well and might know this setting.

Thanks for answering my questions.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What I keep finding is:
"HP does not usually provide a XMP Bios based setting

however you can try/use AMD's performance enhancement software to use DDR3 memory beyond JEDEC specifications. It offers features such as memoryprofiles, enhanced latency and tuning utility the program is known as AMD OverDrive™"

I think HP said the max was around 3200 MHz so maybe if you do upgrade it will automatically adjust to these speeds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I spent the last couple days looking to upgrade my unit. Currently, 800 mp/s with 14 camera on i7-4770 in a USFF case and saving vids to NAS. I want to get away from the saving to NAS as I'm getting irritating (though not breaking) delays for UI3 alerts and UI3 live camera view delays. Never got these when I had a mid-tower local WD purple HD.
CPU usage hovers around 40-50%.
Pretty much set on going away from the ebay Optiplex's and doing my own build (I did build my last 5 gaming PC's so I'm comfortable with it).
Have my sights set on a i5-9600k for around the $200 mark. Has respectful "PassMark" benchmarks for it's pricing. Also, the Blue Iris Update Helper shows this CPU to be AOK for reference examples in my 800 mp/s range and camera numbers. I like those Ripsaw RAM sticks listed above (I have little knowledge of RAM actually). I'll have to look for a mboard (again, little knowledge as I go off other folks recommendations mostly). But will look for one that has that XMP setting. Looks handy.
All components will go into a 2U rack mount server chassis. So gots to get PSU but that's easy.
Guess I can use my i7-4770 USFF for.... Home Assistant soon :)
Motherboards. Any specific mboard options to assist with IP Camera / Blue Iris relations?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pretty much set on going away from the ebay Optiplex's and doing my own build (I did build my last 5 gaming PC's so I'm comfortable with it).
Have my sights set on a i5-9600k for around the $200 mark. Has respectful "PassMark" benchmarks for it's pricing.
If you are dead set on going that way just make sure you get a motherboard that is compatible with that specific Intel CPU. As far as I know each generation of Intel pretty much required a specific chipset and/or socket/pin out so just be super careful (or better yet buy a used/working motherboard/cpu together).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Great info. I waited on the RAM purchase for now as I don't think it will matter without the settings. I know @fenderman knows HP well and might know this setting.

Thanks for answering my questions.
I dont think there is an option. I didnt check. I can tell you that you will see a HUGE improvement when going from single channel 8gb to dual channel 16gb on the elitedesk g4. I had a system running with one stick of 8. Today, I popped in a second stick of 8gb from a spare g4 I have laying around. The cpu usage dropped when live viewing from about 28 to 21 percent. More importantly, playback of 4k 265 video that was previously shooting the cpu to 82 percent, dropped to about 40 percent - half.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think there is an option. I didnt check. I can tell you that you will see a HUGE improvement when going from single channel 8gb to dual channel 16gb on the elitedesk g4. I had a system running with one stick of 8. Today, I popped in a second stick of 8gb from a spare g4 I have laying around. The cpu usage dropped when live viewing from about 28 to 21 percent. More importantly, playback of 4k 265 video that was previously shooting the cpu to 82 percent, dropped to about 40 percent - half.
I bought this - probably not the best option but I went with this - 2x 8gb and it is ok.

If I go with 3200 MHz do you think HP G4 will utilize it and make a difference?

OR will adding another 2 more 8gb 2400 MHz ram for a total of 32GB make a difference? I have 2 extra I might try to see if it helps with CPU %.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought this - probably not the best option but I went with this - 2x 8gb and it is ok.

If I go with 3200 MHz do you think HP G4 will utilize it and make a difference?

OR will adding another 2 more 8gb 2400 MHz ram for a total of 32GB make a difference? I have 2 extra I might try to see if it helps with CPU %.
The pricing difference for 3200 is insignificant. Might as well use it. 32gb wont matter its a waste of money.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The pricing difference for 3200 is insignificant. Might as well use it. 32gb wont matter its a waste of money.
Yes. I went ahead and purchased. If I install and it shows up as correct RAM does it mean HP is utilizing it or would I need to download CPUZ or some other software to test the RAM speed?