New Blue Iris PC - Dell 9010 Optiplex

iBeech

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been toying around with the idea of IP cams / Blue Iris for a while now, and I've finally decided to invest. Here is what I have gone with. I would love for your opinion on how you think this system will fare, and am open to any suggestions for improvements.

Cameras
1x Reolink PoE 4MP 1440p camera
Reolink IP PoE Security Camera 4MP Outdoor Indoor IR: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
2x SV3C 2MP 1080p
SV3C Full HD 1080P POE IP CCTV Camera Outdoor Security: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

The Ethernet for these run to a cupboard in the centre of my house, where they are connected to a Netgear GS308P-100 PoE switch NETGEAR GS308P-100UKS 8-Port Gigabit Switch with 4-Port PoE: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This switch then runs to my garage (via CAT6) and into the main router (all at 1GB/s)

Blue Iris PC
I opted for a Dell 9010 Optiplex Minitower, which cost £100. Specs are:
  • Intel Core i5 3470 Quad Core @ 3.2Ghz (with Quick Sync)
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • 500GB 7200RPM internal hard drive
  • Windows 10
Storage
I have a FreeNAS server where archived footage will be stored. It's specs are:
  • FreeNAS
  • Intel Core i5 4570 Quad Core @ 3.2Ghz
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • 10.88TB usable storage

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been toying around with the idea of IP cams / Blue Iris for a while now, and I've finally decided to invest. Here is what I have gone with. I would love for your opinion on how you think this system will fare, and am open to any suggestions for improvements.

Cameras
1x Reolink PoE 4MP 1440p camera
Reolink IP PoE Security Camera 4MP Outdoor Indoor IR: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
2x SV3C 2MP 1080p
SV3C Full HD 1080P POE IP CCTV Camera Outdoor Security: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

The Ethernet for these run to a cupboard in the centre of my house, where they are connected to a Netgear GS308P-100 PoE switch NETGEAR GS308P-100UKS 8-Port Gigabit Switch with 4-Port PoE: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This switch then runs to my garage (via CAT6) and into the main router (all at 1GB/s)

Blue Iris PC
I opted for a Dell 9010 Optiplex Minitower, which cost £100. Specs are:
  • Intel Core i5 3470 Quad Core @ 3.2Ghz (with Quick Sync)
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • 500GB 7200RPM internal hard drive
  • Windows 10
Storage
I have a FreeNAS server where archived footage will be stored. It's specs are:
  • FreeNAS
  • Intel Core i5 4570 Quad Core @ 3.2Ghz
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • 10.88TB usable storage
reolink cameras have been known to have issue with blue iris and the manufacture is not trustworthy...they blatantly lied to users here and on their twitter page.
sv3c is a no name brand...stay away from junk you will get burned.
you want to avoid bullets (as well as domes) ...bullets will have spider web issues at night...
Look for turret designs.

iBeech

n3wb
Reaction score
Any specific recommendations which are similar in spec to the cameras I have? Fortunately, I have the chance to change the cameras fairly easily.

Is my PC spec good enough for what I want to achieve?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any specific recommendations which are similar in spec to the cameras I have? Fortunately, I have the chance to change the cameras fairly easily.

Is my PC spec good enough for what I want to achieve?
look at the dahua starlight turret cameras, fixed and varifocal...
the pc can easily handle the load for your cams
consider this managed switch for a few dollars more
Zyxel 8-Port Gigabit Web Managed PoE+ Switch with 60 Watt Budget [GS1200-8HP-GB0101F]: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

iBeech

n3wb
Reaction score
look at the dahua starlight turret cameras, fixed and varifocal...
the pc can easily handle the load for your cams
consider this managed switch for a few dollars more
Zyxel 8-Port Gigabit Web Managed PoE+ Switch with 60 Watt Budget [GS1200-8HP-GB0101F]: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
Thanks! I can't seem to find any supplier in the UK for the Dahua Starlight cameras....

How would you use a managed switch to improve the setup? I had considered it to ensure that only camera traffic could go through them ports, in case someone wanted to infiltrate my network, and steal all my puppy dog photos.

Many thanks for your feedback.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I can't seem to find any supplier in the UK for the Dahua Starlight cameras....

How would you use a managed switch to improve the setup? I had considered it to ensure that only camera traffic could go through them ports, in case someone wanted to infiltrate my network, and steal all my puppy dog photos.

Many thanks for your feedback.
read the threads, order from empire...
managed switches allow for vlans...also it allows for remote power cycle of cameras if needed...can also give you info on power draw etc..
the threat of infiltrating your network via cameras is not limited to your puppy dog photos, it includes everything on your network including email and banking..

iBeech

n3wb
Reaction score
read the threads, order from empire...
managed switches allow for vlans...also it allows for remote power cycle of cameras if needed...can also give you info on power draw etc..
the threat of infiltrating your network via cameras is not limited to your puppy dog photos, it includes everything on your network including email and banking..
I know (RE hacking)- i was just jesting. I think i will change my switch option. Have you used Zyxel in the past? Is there any reason i should opt for it over the NETGEAR ProSAFE option? NETGEAR ProSAFE 8 Port Web Managed (Plus) Gigabit Ethernet Switch with PoE (GS108PE-300EUS): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know (RE hacking)- i was just jesting. I think i will change my switch option. Have you used Zyxel in the past? Is there any reason i should opt for it over the NETGEAR ProSAFE option? NETGEAR ProSAFE 8 Port Web Managed (Plus) Gigabit Ethernet Switch with PoE (GS108PE-300EUS): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
I use zyxel almost exclusively.....the netgear is fine...note the zyxel has more power output and supports poe+ but that will never be an issue unless you get a large ptz.