New Blue Iris questions

jaclarkaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have just moved Blue Iris from one machine (Xeon server) to new one (fast i5) and still looks like uses lots of cpu, and doesn't keep up with my Hikvision NVR (which also has analog inputs)

So, a couple of questions aimed at potentially increasing efficiency:

1: Cameras have several streams available, for instance Hikvision 2035 has 2048x1536, 1920x1080, 1280x720, etc. Actually seems to have 3 alternate streams available, each with own optional resolution. Question is, can I reduce the workload on Blue Iris by selecting lower resolution, and if so how? Can I use lower resolution on BI while routing high res to alternate storage? My Foscam I9900 for instance can have a Micro SD card in it which can record full res, while only transmitting part res over the network.

2: Is it possible to mask out areas I am not interested in (like sky and foreground)? Both from the recording and transmission over the network?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have just moved Blue Iris from one machine (Xeon server) to new one (fast i5) and still looks like uses lots of cpu, and doesn't keep up with my Hikvision NVR (which also has analog inputs)

So, a couple of questions aimed at potentially increasing efficiency:

1: Cameras have several streams available, for instance Hikvision 2035 has 2048x1536, 1920x1080, 1280x720, etc. Actually seems to have 3 alternate streams available, each with own optional resolution. Question is, can I reduce the workload on Blue Iris by selecting lower resolution, and if so how? Can I use lower resolution on BI while routing high res to alternate storage? My Foscam I9900 for instance can have a Micro SD card in it which can record full res, while only transmitting part res over the network.

2: Is it possible to mask out areas I am not interested in (like sky and foreground)? Both from the recording and transmission over the network?
You need to set the cameras to record direct to disk...then turn on hardware acceleration.

jaclarkaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Strangely, BI says I am using 70% CPU while Task Manager reports 26%

Turned on hardware acceleration and restarted server, but didn't seem to see much change.

I want to record low res to BI for searching, high res somewhere else (like internal SD card, NAS server). If I just record cameras direct to disk, not much point in BI (or am I missing something?)

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
D2D just means that BI is not reformatting the video feed with another container such as MP4, it uses BI native instead which is quicker and less processor intense.

As for the HA, you have to enable it on each camera separate from the BI settings then reboot to see the effects of it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Strangely, BI says I am using 70% CPU while Task Manager reports 26%

Turned on hardware acceleration and restarted server, but didn't seem to see much change.

I want to record low res to BI for searching, high res somewhere else (like internal SD card, NAS server). If I just record cameras direct to disk, not much point in BI (or am I missing something?)
are you remotely viewing the blue iris pc?
You might as well record in hd...use BI to its full potential.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only place I can find Hardware Acceleration is on the main 'Blue Iris Options' page under 'Cameras', and I can see anything at the camera level.
Yup, I see that now. It used to be under camera properties > video > Configure... but I don't see it there on my build. Odd. Not sure what this means exactly.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
<quote>
</quote>
most cameras allow you to configure a 'privacy mask', that will black it out
(and effectively save network/storage space as the blacked out area is highly compressible)

also, BI has an "area of interest" (ROI) configurable, which crops the image as you desire.

what frame rate are you running at? Most of us run full resolution, but lower the frame rate to minimize size & CPU...
also, what hardware? the hw acceleration only works on intel, i think.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its right there above the cancel button.
You dont have to manually change the camera settings as they are set to default by default.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's still there for me, in the 'Video' box on your screenshot. I wonder why the difference. (4.3.0.15)

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its right there above the cancel button.
You dont have to manually change the camera settings as they are set to default by default.
I realize it is there in the photo I attached, but that is from the help doc. I don't have it on mine any more. BI ver 4.3.0.7 x64

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
um, there's the 'hardware decoding' pulldown right in the middle there, in the 'video' section...

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
um, there's the 'hardware decoding' pulldown right in the middle there, in the 'video' section...
Well I'll be... Didn't see it there since I was used to looking for it under the network options. Thanks @pozzello

- - - Updated - - -

Well I'll be... Didn't see it there since I was used to looking for it under the network options. Thanks @pozzello

Last edited by a moderator:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
btw, i noticed you mentioned you're running an i5, so that should support BI hw acceleration (but they may not all),
if you also have another graphics card installed, you may need to physically remove it from the system
for Bi's use of the onboard quicksync stuff to work. I had to remove the extra card that came in my dell i7-4790,
but when i did and got HW acceleration working, avg cpu went from over 45% to less than 20% with 12 3MP cams @ 10fps...

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what are your receive buffer MB set to? I have 5 cameras with a netgear POE switch + any thoughts

thanks in advance

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
The general rule around here seems to be 20 MB on receive buffer in camera settings, it seems to work for me.