New camera to capture license plates and better picture

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new camera that I can put in place where this camera is attached to the garage, I would like to be able to capture the vehicles plates and all. As you can see with the current camera if you try to zoom at all it pixelates badly.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Drew

Camera is an (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE)

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
please download your video to Youtube and provide insert link. Most people will not download anything from a website for security reasons

Have you read the LPR section within this forum. It takes a very special setup for a camera to record license plates.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Southern, I will do that for the download. As far as reading yes I have I was looking for more of a review from users who have such a camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You realize in order to capture plates you'll be zooming in to the degree that you wont see your driveway, yard, or house from that same camera.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks bigredfish,
I will be moving this camera to the right side of the garage and catch the same view. Off to do some reading, I do appreciate the information very much.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bigredfish whats your thoughts on the 2 camaras? Reading the specs the earlier version looks better, whats your thoughts?
IR LEDs length etc...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The two cameras mentioned are going to be virtually identical in image. The newer 5241E-Z12E does have the new AI features. I have two of the older model 5231 but am helping a friend install two of the 5241's in a few weeks.

Forget manufacturer specs on IR distance, I start by cutting them by 50%

The older Z12 (and the newer model Im sure) will both need help with added IR out past 120-150ft

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I use a pair of z12's. They capture plates, despite bright lights shining directly at camera at night. I also want to see normal night vision so 2 camera's are needed.
Capture distance is between 120-180ft
alpr.png
#1 Camera - Captures plates daytime, normal night setting @ night for overview. Camera stays at same zoom day/night (as pictured)
#2 Camera - Day time zooms back for overview. At night zooms to current position (as pictured) for night time plate captures.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As shown in @pinko ‘s images, it all works best when you can limit the angle from the camera to the plate. Straight on as above is ideal and way easier than from an angle.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As shown in @pinko ‘s images, it all works best when you can limit the angle from the camera to the plate. Straight on as above is ideal and way easier than from an angle.
I agree with @bigredfish, the more you can eliminate the angle (both vertical and horizontal) the better results you'll get.

Holster100

n3wb
Reaction score
I use a pair of z12's. They capture plates, despite bright lights shining directly at camera at night. I also want to see normal night vision so 2 camera's are needed.
Capture distance is between 120-180ft
View attachment 45607
#1 Camera - Captures plates daytime, normal night setting @ night for overview. Camera stays at same zoom day/night (as pictured)
#2 Camera - Day time zooms back for overview. At night zooms to current position (as pictured) for night time plate captures.
Hi is the zooming done by Blue iris or some other way. Didnt know you can set to zoom to position.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Zooming is done within the camera GUI to get the best results.