New camera (vivotek), package not sealed?

HondoB

n3wb
Reaction score
I dont know about their 1000 bucks models, there is plenty of brands who offer models for that kind of money and above. Vivotek come as cheap as below 200 bucks, ndaa included. They have some models for around 400 bucks, fullHD, 5mpx, made in taiwan. Whatever floats your boat, to me that sounded like a good option, that I was interested in testing, but I understand others may differ and go for cheaper models from other manufacturers.
FYI, I only bought one cam as of now, to set up my system first and to test if this is a model I want to settle on. The way the box looks, if someone isnt to rough opening it, you can repackage it without leaving any marks and the few items are not hard to put back the way they were.
So consensus is, nobody has ever seen a sealed package and if it's not obvious it was previously opened, that's perfectly fine?
I'll keep you posted if I hear back from the manufaturer or vendor.

Why buying vivotek when you can buy axis for the same price? For me axis is better than vivotek, but just my opinion
I had axis on my list (still do), however for my price range of below 500 bucks per cam, at least on paper vivotek seemed to have the better specs. Not withstanding I may have missed something.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
For those prices and lower you could get a much better performing Dahua or Hikvision cam and do a little work to isolate it from internet access?

Yes not NDAA compliant but it won’t be talking to any mothership either.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can tell usually if the camera has been initialized if the setup screen isn't asking to create an Admin Password. at least on the new HIkvision or Dahua I've set up. or if the default IP address has been changed.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You can tell usually if the camera has been initialized if the setup screen isn't asking to create an Admin Password. at least on the new HIkvision or Dahua I've set up. or if the default IP address has been changed.
You can always reset to factory defaults, I think, to get back to that first init process so might not be a sure fire guarantee.

I’m with @wittaj on this, you can normally tell if something has been repacked and loads of things arrive without a seal so provided the cam isn’t damaged or defective I don’t think I’d personally be too worried.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I dont know about their 1000 bucks models, there is plenty of brands who offer models for that kind of money and above. Vivotek come as cheap as below 200 bucks, ndaa included. They have some models for around 400 bucks, fullHD, 5mpx, made in taiwan. Whatever floats your boat, to me that sounded like a good option,
5MP dome with 1/2.7" sensor like the FD9380-H for only 200€ sounds like a dealbreaker for me. Reolink sells these cams for 60€ but vivo is NDAA.

i dont understand why these cams are so expensive. from spec sheet they dont look any good.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I live in the UK so don’t really know much about the NDAA ruling but credit for standing the moral ground.

I’m a bit of a recycling nut so do get annoyed when my kids put recyclable stuff into the main bin, their view is in the grand scheme of things that small piece of cardboard won’t make much of a difference.

In terms of NDAA, for private users, just isolate the cams from the internet and for the persecution of the minorities, maybe you should be looking closer to home?