New camera, which one?

Avlund

n3wb
Reaction score
Total newbie here.

I'm looking for a new outdoor camera and I have no idea where to start. The ideal camera would have the following characteristics:

- battery support, so I don't have to drill a hole for a wire
- support for storing data to my NAS (Synology) so I don't have recurring cloud provider fees
- at least HD recording, 4K would be nice
- night vision
- audio recording (2 way audio would be nice)
- access from an app outside of the network (e.g. by being connected to my Samsung Smartthings hub)
- weather resistant
- floodlight would be cool as well but not mandatory
- reasonable price, maybe even cheap

Is something like this at all viable? It needs to be available in the EU.

Thanks a lot!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Total newbie here.

I'm looking for a new outdoor camera and I have no idea where to start. The ideal camera would have the following characteristics:

- battery support, so I don't have to drill a hole for a wire
- support for storing data to my NAS (Synology) so I don't have recurring cloud provider fees
- at least HD recording, 4K would be nice
- night vision
- audio recording (2 way audio would be nice)
- access from an app outside of the network (e.g. by being connected to my Samsung Smartthings hub)
- weather resistant
- floodlight would be cool as well but not mandatory
- reasonable price, maybe even cheap

Is something like this at all viable? It needs to be available in the EU.

Thanks a lot!
Hi @Avlund

1. Consumer battery operated cameras are problematic.
  2. Consumer cloud cameras also have reliability and other issues.
  3. Consumer battery operated and cloud dependent cameras have all the issues associated with the above 2.

suggest taking some time first and reading the cliff notes here, and reviewing what you really want from a camera.
( example: watch dog when away from home, help ID thieves stealing from my mailbox,.. )

Reaction score
I studied the IP Cam Talk Wiki for a few weeks then i read through the many forums before i even joined the site. I couldn't ask questions or look at pictures, but i was able to read and take in a lot of information. This site has no recommendations for battery operated or wifi cameras as they are not as reliable as a wired camera. I upgraded my system from a plug and play wired camera system to the systems that most are running on this site. A dedicated computer running a program call Blue Iris, which is then connected to a switch and then to a router and then to the internet providers router. All of this information is in the wiki, so if you want to go this route study the wiki and read, read , and then read agian. My previous wired system was the night owl box kit and i thought it was good. But the Dahua IP cameras have so much more clarity and the night vision color mode is incredible. If this sounds like to much that's understandable, i was really intimidated by the information overload. But if you just want a cam to take pics around your place and send you video wireless to your phone and allow you to talk without cloud fees. I would go with the Blink xt2 All-new Blink XT2 | Wireless outdoor/indoor smart security camera| Amazon Devices
But you will not have the clarity and the ability that the affordable professional grade cameras provide that you read about on this site. This is just my opinion. Good luck in whatever you decide. Members in this site are very helpful if you want to take on the challenge. If not i would suggest getting the Blink XT2.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Avlund you aren't going to get all that in a single inexpensive performant camera package.

you are going to need to pick your priorities and focus on doing those well and probably giving up others. i'll assume you focus is capturing images around your home, outside , probably at night, probably with little lighting.

most here like better camera images over a lot of those other 'features' you mentioned. especially focusing on low light and no light night images of movement. like peoples faces at night while they might be attempting to sneak around your property or 'door checking' your cars while parked.

if you haven't yet read: IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes as linked above you really, really should.

synology has a camera compatibility selector, but if you are going to run more than one or two cameras the additional licensees per camera to synology are going to be a more costly solution than a blue iris, similar VMS setup, or event a NVR. also the feature set of synology surveillance station isn't on par with things like Blue Iris. I have a synology with camera feeds running to it.