New CCTV Setup with 32 CH + 16 CH NVR + 48 Cameras

BP89

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Newbie here when coming to buying new CCTV tech , installation isn't a problem though wanted some input before going ahead with a huge purchase.

The setup is for a nursing college in a rural setup based in Zambia, Africa. I will be ordering from the UK and then sending to Zambia. Being for Africa the budget isn't as big so not needing the best products on the market but something adequate for my needs.

Minimum requirements being
-48 IP camera setup, split into 32 channel and 16 channel NVR
-POE all around
-Built in Mic for every camera
-Good low light performance as it's in a rural area with no lights around except odd security lights.
-Ability to view a minimum of 16 Channels 1080P simultaneously each NVR

My current thoughts on hardware were as follows:

Hikvision 32 Channel 12MP NVR with 24 PoE Ports DS-7732NI-I4/24P X 1 £530.00
Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P 12MP 16 Channel NVR X1 £284.5
Hikvision DS-3E0310HP-E 10 Port POE Switch with Dual Up-link x1 £67.50
Hikvision 4MP 2.8mm AcuSense Darkfighter Turret Network IP Camera with Built in Mic DS-2CD2346G2-IU x18 £1124.00
HiLook IPC-T220H-U 2.8mm 2MP H265+ 30m IR POE Network Dome Turret Camera Built in Microphone x 30 £948.00
WD Purple 6TB 3.5" SATA Surveillance Hard Drive x6 £1080.00

Firstly would like to know if this kind of setup would be good enough in general and then for example if the HiLook cameras are fully compatible and good enough performance etc, if not are there better value for money cameras that can be compatible with the NVR's listed above. Is there any benefit for going for a non POE NVR system and using POE switches instead?
Any input would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of quick comments spring to mind -

You've left no headroom for the inevitable extra cameras over and above the initial stated requirement.
2.8mm 2MP cameras are OK for overview purposes - but would be sadly lacking for anything but very close recognition and identification of persons in a scene, if that is a requirement.
If you've not already done so - check out the DORI concept, and find the figures for 2.8mm / 2MP (not quoted for the HiLook cameras).
The HiLook cameras are quite dumb - and lack the very useful 'Smart events' that can be much more effective than simple motion detection.
But how much of a disadvantage that will be depends on the stated purpose and intended capabilities of the system.
If the intention is continuous recording, have you worked out the recording history that will be achieved?

How stable is the power in the intended location?
Would a UPS be a benefit if interruptions are common?

BP89

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply

So in reality only about 32ish cameras will be operational as there is more classrooms being built hence the reason going with a 32channel and 16 channel for future needs.
Okay so mixing up some 4.0mm for the 4MP hikvision cameras isn't an problem, it is something that will be done.

The cameras being placed inside classrooms intended use would be identification of students for damages/theft or burglaries. Classroom sizes are about 8M x 8M. Lecture rooms are twice that and would have multiple cameras and be 4MP HIK. Other areas they would be placed are hallways and high value places such as skills labs, science lab, library, ict room.

For the HiLook cameras are you suggesting 4MP would be the way to go or 2MP 4.0mm(can't find that)? Problem I'm finding is looking for cheap 4MP/2MP with POE and mic for a good price. Any alternatives to HiLook wouldn't be a problem if you can suggest any ?

Continuous recording would be the intention, using the various calcs recording at 265+ 4MP 30fps 24hours would be 600GB per cam for 1 month x 16 cams would be just under 10TB so 12TB on that would be adequate and twice that amount on the 32channel. Considering that calculation is with all cams being 4MP there should be longer than a month recording when using a combination of 2MP cameras if we decide to go that route.

Power is not stable, load shedding is frequent, probably down 3-5 days a month. We do have backup diesel generators that kick in and a UPS is already in place also.

BP89

n3wb
Reaction score
There is normally , no need for 30fps, 15fps is plenty.
I would look at something like this in a 64 channel version:
Finding that Dahua in 64 channel isn't very easy in the UK on first look. Any reason to look at Dahua over HIkvision ? 64 Channel may be super overkill if there's not much of an issue adding another NVR at a later stage when it is needed. Would love some recommendations of a IP CAM instead of that HiLook i mentioned above. Would need poe and mic. 4MP 2,8mm ideally or 2MP 4mm. around £50 GBP or thereabouts each would be able to stretch, the HiLook IPC-T220H-U 2.8mm 2MP is going for £40.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How will you support the system, or will you have someone technical nearby or on site ?

I would want to have full remote support capability well thought out.

BP89

n3wb
Reaction score
How will you support the system, or will you have someone technical nearby or on site ?

I would want to have full remote support capability well thought out.
There will be a person site who is a little familiar with hikvision nvrs, however the intention was to also enable platform access to access outside of the local network, if any challenges occur i'm happy to remote into a local machine from abroad to access it via local network also .

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Finding that Dahua in 64 channel isn't very easy in the UK on first look. Any reason to look at Dahua over HIkvision ? 64 Channel may be super overkill if there's not much of an issue adding another NVR at a later stage when it is needed. Would love some recommendations of a IP CAM instead of that HiLook i mentioned above. Would need poe and mic. 4MP 2,8mm ideally or 2MP 4mm. around £50 GBP or thereabouts each would be able to stretch, the HiLook IPC-T220H-U 2.8mm 2MP is going for £40.
We have a member here @EMPIRETECANDY that ships to the UK (and most of the world) all the time. He sells mainly Dahua, but can also sometimes get Hik equipment.
EmpireTech Andy | IP Cam Talk

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
64CH based on how long you want to record, 40days full recoridng can use NVR608-64-4KS2. 8*8TB/HDD
Camera can check IPC-T2431T-AS if has low budget. Though a little expensive than that HiLook, but quality can beat down it easily. Much more stable.

BP89

n3wb
Reaction score
64CH based on how long you want to record, 40days full recoridng can use NVR608-64-4KS2. 8*8TB/HDD
Camera can check IPC-T2431T-AS if has low budget. Though a little expensive than that HiLook, but quality can beat down it easily. Much more stable.
Thanks. If i was to go for them IPC-T2431T-AS cameras is it a straight forward process to use it with a Hikvision NVR like the DS-7732NI-I4/24P and DS-7616NI-I2/16P 12MP? That NVR608-64-4KS2 is a major price hike and ideally don't want everything connected to a single NVR.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, can be ok if you already has the HIKVISION NVR. Use onvif protocle to make the adding.
Or just use some 24CH dahua POE NVR, NVR5424-24P-4KS2

BP89

n3wb
Reaction score
Great. Now another more complex setup I have been asked to potentially look into is facial recognition if it's available at a little pricier cost, being that it is a school, is it possible to use facial recognition as a secondary monitoring device for attendance for example? Does the camera itself need any sort of specific specs or just a case of buying a capable NVR such as a DAHUA NVR5832‐R-4KS2 which says it can do 14 channel facial recognition and pair it with IPC-T2431T-AS cameras . Is it worth the money and reliable enough or not really. If not are there alternative solutions or best to forget about it all together?

Also i have found another Dahua camera IPC-HDW2439T-AS-LED-S2 with the added advantage of 265+ compared to the IPC-T2431T-AS, pretty much the only difference i am seeing on specs sheet plus colour at night. Any other differences in performance ?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Poor nightvision on this 2439, but if you install at good light place, any cams can be ok.
NVR5832-I can do 16ch FR if the camera support FD.

BP89

n3wb
Reaction score
Poor nightvision on this 2439, but if you install at good light place, any cams can be ok.
NVR5832-I can do 16ch FR if the camera support FD.
Ohh okay great info, i will just stick to IPC-T2431T-AS as night time performance is crucial. So is the IPC-T2431T-AS able to support Facial Detection? If not any recommendations as to which models can at a decent price point?

BP89

n3wb
Reaction score
Based on the budget,

IPC-T5442TM-AS support FD, cheap models all not support FD. But this one price is bit higher.

Andy
Man thank you so much. Your info has been great! Just to clarify the IPC-T5442TM-AS supports facial recognition meaning it is able to identify individual people using image profiles added to the database and log them when connected to a capable AI NVR like
NVR5216-16P-I or NVR5432-16P-I or NVR5832-I can all do 16 channel facial recognition using IPC-T5442TM-AS cameras?

What is the difference between video stream face recognition and picture stream face recognition ? as NVR datasheet specs says 4 channel video stream facial recognition and 16 channel picture stream recognition ?

BP89

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay so from talking to a friendly technical who sells Dahua products, the impression i got is that video stream facial recognition is when using a NON FD camera, hence needing more processing power and can therefore only do a lower number of channels if wanting facial recognition. Unlike picture stream facial recognition which is when using a FD camera which helps with processing workload and therefore can do a higher number of channels simultaneously when needing facial recognition. Makes perfect sense.
The FD cameras I was looking at were DH-IPC-HDW5442TM-AS Turret ones from the AI Pro series, and not the bullet DH-IPC-HFW5442T-ASE Bullet from WizMind as it does not have a Mic. Will the turret AI series 5442TM still work for the facial recognition?

Any help appreciated. Seems there is not much posts on this forum regarding facial recognition on Hikvision or Dahua products , mainly for BlueIris software from what I have been trying to search.

So the final plan if going for the Facial Recognition Setup would be as follows:

1) DAHUA 16 CHANNEL NVR2216-16P-I 12TB (4 CH facial recognition) X 1
2) DAHUA 32 CHANNEL NVR5432-16P-I 24TB (16CH facial recognition) X 1
3) DAHUA PFS4218-16ET-240 16 PORT EXTENDED POE+ SWITCH X 1
4) DAHUA IPC-HDW2431TMP-AS-S2 X 21
5) DAHUA IPC-HDW5442TMP-AS TURRET WITH FD X 14
6) DAHUA IPC-HFW5442EP-ZE MOTORISED 4MP BULLET WITH FD X 1

That would leave 12 channels unused for future use (5 with FD) . I understand when using facial recognition the IVS functionality of the other cameras would need to be off for the NVR to handle the processing which is not a problem as they will be just effectively dumb 24/7 recording cameras with no need of perimeter or motion/object detection.

Does anybody have experience of the best distance and height for a 2.6mm camera should be positioned for optimal facial recognition results from a person and the differences if using a 3.6mm etc ?

Thanks!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
1) DAHUA 16 CHANNEL NVR2216-16P-I 12TB (4 CH facial recognition) X 1, i think can use a NVR5216-16P-I, the 2 series is too weak, i never use this series NVR. Poor chips it's using.
2) DAHUA 32 CHANNEL NVR5432-16P-I 24TB (16CH facial recognition) X 1 OK
3) DAHUA PFS4218-16ET-240 16 PORT EXTENDED POE+ SWITCH X 1 OK
4) DAHUA IPC-HDW2431TMP-AS-S2 X 21 OK
5) DAHUA IPC-HDW5442TMP-AS TURRET WITH FD X 14 OK
6) DAHUA IPC-HFW5442EP-ZE MOTORISED 4MP BULLET WITH FD X 1 OK

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Man thank you so much. Your info has been great! Just to clarify the IPC-T5442TM-AS supports facial recognition meaning it is able to identify individual people using image profiles added to the database and log them when connected to a capable AI NVR like
NVR5216-16P-I or NVR5432-16P-I or NVR5832-I can all do 16 channel facial recognition using IPC-T5442TM-AS cameras?

What is the difference between video stream face recognition and picture stream face recognition ? as NVR datasheet specs says 4 channel video stream facial recognition and 16 channel picture stream recognition ?
What is the difference between video stream face recognition and picture stream face recognition ? as NVR datasheet specs says 4 channel video stream facial recognition and 16 channel picture stream recognition ? 4ch FR means, no matter what kind of cams you use, it will support FR in 4ch, 16CH FR, under 16 CH FD cams.

BP89

n3wb
Reaction score
I see , the price difference is quite big between NVR2216 and NVR5216, what about the 4 series? NVR4216-16P-I-12T is it good enough ?

Some products i cannot find on your ipcamtalk/aliexpress/amazon store . Can i contact you via Email for quotation ?