New clips not being moved to storage

peraml

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Evaluation of BI ongoing.

I've got the "new" folder setup to a local disk with size limit 100GB and max age 1 days and "move to folder: stored". "Stored" is setup for a UNC path to my NAS with a limit of 1024GB and max 14 days. The UNC path is currently r/w for anyone so the BI service should have write access to it (anyway to test from within BI?).

BI has been running with the above setup and has now filled the "new" folder with 300GB+ of files, also filling the entire disk.

BI accurately displays the amount of files in the "clip storage" tab in the status window so it obviously sees that it needs to move files.

The status log says "Move 61 files 230G [26/24 hrs, 327.0G/100.0G, 888K free]

What could be the reason BI hasn't moved files from "new" to "stored"?
Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It may facilitate a helpful response if you would post screenshots of BI "options", "Clips & Archiving" for "New" and for "Stored".

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It more than likely is a security issue with the BI application (or service) and access to the storage location. The same username and password must be used for both BI and the folder.

This is a common problem with NAS and network drives.

peraml

n3wb
Reaction score
It more than liking is a security issue with the BI application (or service) and access to the storage location. The same username and password must be used for both BI and the folder.
The share is setup for read/write for anonymous users so no credentials needed. I've verified this works.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From BI Help:

"......These folders do not need to be located on the same hard drive or PC as the database. Note however, that if you are running Blue Iris as a service, you may not be able to use the "LocalSystem" account if your Stored clips folder is located on a network drive; instead, you must use a named user account, and give that account rights to the network resource."

Also, this might help: Blue Iris: Record to NAS Issues

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use a mapped drive. Does the folder exist ?
provide screen shot of clip storage page.
.IN BI Click the Button with Three bars.
. select the clip storage.

Also did you browse for the stored folder or did you type in the address? You need to browse for it.

peraml

n3wb
Reaction score
I deleted a file from "new" just to free some space and right-clicking and selecting "move -> store" now works, i.e., BI moved the file. Though that's through the console, running as my user not as a service. Hm.

Does BI log something if it can't move a file/access a share?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI does not work well with a full disk. Do not allocate 100% for your disk. Allocate only about 90% of the storage disk.
That is why I asked for the screen shots.

peraml

n3wb
Reaction score
BI does not work well with a full disk. Do not allocate 100% for your disk. Allocate only about 90% of the storage disk.
That is why I asked for the screen shots.
The disk had ~300GB free, I limited it to 100GB but BI kept filling the disk anyway, as I wrote in the first post.

Trying a dedicated account for BI.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems it is moving files now that it is running under a dedicated account.
Are you saying that, as opposed to an anonymous account, that "....using a named user account, and giving that account rights to the network resource" worked for you?

peraml

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you saying that, as opposed to an anonymous account, that "....using a named user account, and giving that account rights to the network resource" worked for you?
I thought it worked, turns out it didn't because I didn't make the service account an administrator. Things were still running from the console (which ran as my admin user). Also see: No web UI without console?)

What I had to do was all of the below:
- Run BI under a dedicated user account, with admin privileges.
- Configure the share on the NAS to allow the Windows account to login.

Allowing anonymous access the the share on the NAS did not work for some reason.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought it worked, turns out it didn't because I didn't make the service account an administrator. Things were still running from the console (which ran as my admin user). Also see: No web UI without console?)

What I had to do was all of the below:
- Run BI under a dedicated user account, with admin privileges.
- Configure the share on the NAS to allow the Windows account to login.

Allowing anonymous access the the share on the NAS did not work for some reason.
Glad it's 'UP' and thanks for posting your fix.