New ColorVu cameras

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone have some hands on experience with the new ColorVu cams? Any thoughts or experiences your willing to share? I'm trying to see if I can be persuaded to pull the trigger on a new purchase.

ColorVuSearch

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Picked up a few of the LU models but can’t get a minute to rig them up outside. Powered one up in my huge garage and it looked fantastic.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Picked up a few of the LU models but can’t get a minute to rig them up outside. Powered one up in my huge garage and it looked fantastic.
Getting mine today along with a IR blaster. I'll report back once it's up and running

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After a quick install my new colorvu 4mm is up un running. I took three very basic screen shots from hikconnect of different lighting conditions. First one is with my flood lights on, second one is with flood lights off and only porch light on and third is in complete darkness with no lights at all. I disabled the cameras led light function due to the fact that my house is always lit up with flood lights. But I will test the cameras internal led lights at a later time. So far I'm pleasantly impressed with the camera which only costed me $150.00. I will preform some more tests on it when I have more free time.

Attachments

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here are three quick videos I was able to capture tonight after sunset in complete darkness. First video is with floodlights on. Second video is in complete darkness. And third video is in complete darkness with the camera's LED light on. Just a fyi the entrance of my driveway is 80ft away from the camera.

Last edited:

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The second video with no lights looks very good in terms of visibility. You think it was evening time before the sun goes down.

What setting are you using. Post them if you can. Some guru here might recommend changes.

Also, any indication the led’s in auto actually adjust or are they stuck at number 15 etc?

Last edited:

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The second video was in complete darkness at 2011 pm (my neighborhood has no streetlights and my neighbors dont turn on house lights). The only visible light you can see is from the stars, and my door bell light which is yellow and can be seen on the right side of the video. I measured out 10 foot hash marks on my driveway withstand chalk and could barely see them when I was trying to pace them out.

I will post the settings in a little.

And the LED was set to auto with a maximum of 100. The LED to me seems gimmicky as I have pretty powerfull and bright led floodlights. But I could see how the LED light might be beneficial to someone with no floodlights available though.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
The default shutter speed for ColorVu is 1/12s. Can you check if that is what you are using? You can see blur in the second video

Do you have a lux meter to check the exact light levels? You say 'complete darkness' and I am sure it's dark but for cameras, it makes a difference if it is 0.2 lux or 2 lux, etc.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The default shutter speed for ColorVu is 1/12s. Can you check if that is what you are using? You can see blur in the second video

Do you have a lux meter to check the exact light levels? You say 'complete darkness' and I am sure it's dark but for cameras, it makes a difference if it is 0.2 lux or 2 lux, etc.
I should be precise I'm sure my ambient light isnt at .0 lux but to the naked eye its completely dark. I'm barely able to see my chalk hash marks that are 5 feet ahead of me. I do not have a lux meter available right now so I can only measure with the naked eye (I'm not professional by any means either). And yes my shutter speed is at default at 1/12ths. All setting are at default, out of the box. I will post all setting shortly.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here are current settings. Only changes I made was the LED light off, outdoor settings, and NTSC 60HRZ.

I'm open to any suggestions on settings and I will make those changes later today and will try to post a updated video tonight.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mac13

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the model # of the unit you have and where did you get it? Some of those results are pretty good!

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The model is DS-2CD2347G1-L 4MM. I purchased it on Alibaba through a reseller who has stock in the US, so shipping was cheap and very fast. It's a genuine Hikvision camera US model that can be upgraded. I could provide you the name of the seller if you'd like privately, just mention my name and they will give you the same discount that I received.

Mac13

n3wb
Reaction score
The model is DS-2CD2347G1-L 4MM. I purchased it on Alibaba through a reseller who has stock in the US, so shipping was cheap and very fast. It's a genuine Hikvision camera US model that can be upgraded. I could provide you the name of the seller if you'd like privately, just mention my name and they will give you the same discount that I received.
Thanks. I am going to setup 6 cams at my house and am trying to decide what I should get. I want a good all around camera and figured I would go with the highest quality possible and do 8mp but i also want good night vision as well and in my research it seems like maybe I should look a t something like starlite or colorvu.

What other cameras do you have and how do they compare to the colorvu? I figure the colorvu would be better then an 8mp at night but not as good during the day.

Look forward to hearing what you have to say!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
.......I disabled the cameras led light function due to the fact that my house is always lit up with flood lights. But I will test the cameras internal led lights at a later time. So far I'm pleasantly impressed with the camera which only costed me $150.00. I will preform some more tests on it when I have more free time.

Very interested to see how it does in IR, especially inside of 15ft. Does it have same problem with washout as the Dahua 4MP Starlights with Smart IR?

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I learned the hard way when I first started dabbling in CCTV. I purchased three DS-2CD-2085FDW-I 2.8 which are 8mp. I first thought the more MP the better. I quickly realized that is not the case at all. I still run the two DS-2CD-2085FDW-I 2.8 as over watch for my front yard and one as a front door camera. I also run 1 DS-2DE4A225IW-DE which I love because of the smart tracking. I also run 1 DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS8 as a LPR. I will be purchasing 2 DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS in the very near future. If I'm not satisfied with those I will splurge and purchase atleast 2 of the DS-2CD5526G0-IZHS8.

As I said earlier I am pleasantly surprised by the colorvu but not totally happy. I expected a better identification range on it and I dont appreciate faces being white washed out within 10 feet of the camera. I still have to tweak the settings on it so my opinion might change.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Very interested to see how it does in IR, especially inside of 15ft. Does it have same problem with washout as the Dahua 4MP Starlights with Smart IR?
I will test that out and upload a video. My hope isnt high though