New COmputer (Bac News Good News)

Reaction score
OK. Apparently, the hot sun (counting cars) finished off my 5 year old intel I7.

So, no more of those CPUs; nothing fits the old MoBo. But new Ryzen and MSI Mobo. Then, of course, the old RAM does not work. Ok. Get that too.

Set up everything. Windows Blue Screens. Call MSI. "Oh, Windows 7 will not work with the new hardware).

Now buy Windows 10 pro from MS; no sense going to another seller to save $10. We are now at $600 with only the case, PS and peripherals saved.

Go to upgrade from Windows 7 Pro. Cannot be done! Must do clean install.

Six hours later I have BI running again and configured.

Along the way I threw out my last Loris CCTV cam and Blue Cherry card and install a Hik that I bought months ago.

Now I have 64 bit pro with h/w that should last another 5 years. Win 10 pro desktop is a lott better than that crippled win 10 I had on the laptop I threw against the wall.

I am making a clone of my the Win 7 OS drive on my Dell. Will upgrade that drive to WIn 8 so when my 6 year old Dell XPS dies, I can upgrade to WIn 10 Pro.

Good news. 6 IP cams at full speed and resolution transcoding to MP4. CPU 34% and mem 45%.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on the ryzen model you could have purchased a 300 to $400 and tell system and come out way ahead... AMD is a poor choice for Blue Iris since Hardware acceleration is not supported...

Reaction score
Oh well. Done now. Up and running happily. Good for others to learn from my mistake.