New Computer Can't Handle Blue Iris. Or, Some Other Problem?

mike s.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got a new Dell Inspiron 20" touchscreen Model 3043 to run my Blue Iris software, and to do absolutely nothing else. It has a Celeron 2.16 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, and it is 64 bit. I am using Blue Iris Version 3.66. I'm running 6 to 8 IP cameras.
MY PROBLEM: the new computer can't seem to handle the BI software. Either with 6 or 8 cameras running, the software bogs down, the real-time videos become pixelated, and if I want to play back a recorded video, there is a long lag time (10-20 seconds is fairly standard). In my experience, this appears to be an issue of the computer not being able to handle the task. Since the new computer specs seem to be sufficient for BI, can anyone give me some insight on how to alleviate the problem? Will changing the RAM to 8 GB help? Do these new computers still have separate video cards, and do I need to change mine out for a better one? Of course, I have antivirus software that runs in the background and would like to hope that that isn't the issue.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
what were you running BI on before?
what resolution/frame rates/bit rates are your cams running at?
Does it run OK with only 2 cams? how about 4?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@mike s You dont state what resolution your cameras are set to or the exact model of your processor. The pc with a low speed celeron is likely VERY under powered. The pc has a 5400rpm drive which is likely very slow as well. Its simply not a good match. Return it. You can buy an i5-4590 haswell based desktop for 300 that has 4-7 times the power of your machine.
Also, make sure you set each camera to record direct to disk in blue iris. You cant add a video card to the all in one, and even if you could it wont help. If you get the i5-haswell Blue iris 4 (you will need to upgrade) supports hardware acceleration that uses the intel HD integrated video.

mike s.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what were you running BI on before?
what resolution/frame rates/bit rates are your cams running at?
Does it run OK with only 2 cams? how about 4?
Before: Intel(R) Core(TM2) Duo CPU 3 GHz. 640 x 480. Vids ran about 3 to 10 fps. (same as with new computer).

It still runs crappy with only 4 cams enabled. Haven't tried 2.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
sounds like you've succeeded in downgrading your PC such that even those low frame rates and resolutions are overwhelming your system. take fenderman's advice.