New computer needed for Blue Iris

Shan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello

I have a 5 cam bi system on a 4 gig ram laptop and it stays at 100% all the time. I have done all I know to do from dropping frames, Intel hardware acceleration to direct to disk. If you were to buy a sub 500$ machine today online what would you buy? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello

I have a 5 cam bi system on a 4 gig ram laptop and it stays at 100% all the time. I have done all I know to do from dropping frames, Intel hardware acceleration to direct to disk. If you were to buy a sub 500$ machine today online what would you buy? Thanks
What are the specs on the laptop? what resolution are the cameras running at?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running a fresh copy of windows 10 as well. I have turned off windows defender
Are you running the blue iris demo? Or licensed?
hardware acceleration would not work on that processor anyway...no quicksync..

Last edited:

Shan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Licensed for 3 years from version 3 . now on version 4. Moved off old computer that was starting same slowness I have now on this one... These are second hand machines I've tried to keep going. May be time to shuck out a few dollars on some decent number crunching Intel product.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Licensed for 3 years from version 3 . now on version 4. Moved off old computer that was starting same slowness I have now on this one... These are second hand machines I've tried to keep going. May be time to shuck out a few dollars on some decent number crunching Intel product.
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF Intel i5-6500 3.20GHz 16GB Ram & 500GB HD HP Warranty | eBay
make an offer of 300...
You can find cheaper machines because your load is very low, but that will keep you up to date for quite some time and room to grow..

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Shan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for help locating machine. I had to go up on offer but let's see if he bites...

Shan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wouldn't you know someone bought it full price just now....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn't you know someone bought it full price just now....
No worries, they come up all the time!
Just make sure you get the SFF or tower no ultra slim as they cant hold a 3.5 drive

Shan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll keep my eyes open for i5 6500 w 16 gigs.. Pardon my ignorance, what does sff stand for?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll keep my eyes open for i5 6500 w 16 gigs.. Pardon my ignorance, what does affordable stand for?
You dont need 16gb...8 is more than plenty..
SFF is small form factor.

Shan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sff gotcha, don't need to be putting laptop drives in a tower..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sff gotcha, don't need to be putting laptop drives in a tower..
You want to use 3.5 drives when you can..so the tower can hold two of them..the sff can hold 1 3.5 and 1 2.5 (or two if you remove the dvd)...go with the SFF or even better a tower..

Shan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm guess it's cheaper to buy a built machine than to screw with building one isn't it fenderman?

I don't need/want a warranty either, so used is perfect for me especially if I can save money...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guess it's cheaper to buy a built machine than to screw with building one isn't it fenderman?

I don't need/want a warranty either, so used is perfect for me especially if I can save money...
much cheaper...you still get the warranty, and its next day on site...

Shan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Who carries these warrantys on eBay? Square trade or is it transferred from Dell and hp somehow?

Shan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahhhh.. So, no hassle transferable warranty... Wish the rest of the world was that smart!

Shan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.