New Computer or upgrade mother board ??

cdtek101

n3wb
Reaction score
What upgrades can I do to help with mycpu usage .??
I started with 4 cameras,..now up to 11...
Cpu spikes over 65% at times on Blue Iris.

Whats a better processor ?
Amd A4 series or Intel 4 generation core I7

My current is computer is Acer XC-605
Intel Dual core I3-4130 3.40 GHz

Attached image with bitrate and fps....(3 cams offline for now)
**and I noticed my 4 new foscam FI9802Ws shows no bitrate ????

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cdtek101

n3wb
Reaction score
AMD should never be considered on a blue iris build...
Good point....Just had a idea but I am no tech, in blue iris motion detect, that eats more cpu..right?
Can the camera be set to detect motion and trigger blue iris to record ?
...late night crazy idea ..Lol

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point....Just had a idea but I am no tech, in blue iris motion detect, that eats more cpu..right?
Can the camera be set to detect motion and trigger blue iris to record ?
...late night crazy idea ..Lol
yes - for many cameras, see the help file and release notes...though i dont know how much processing you will save..also the foscams motion detection is terrible compared the the options BI provides.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
might be able to update the chip only if your on a budget, but you would probably have to say with 4th gen chips. if your looking at replacing the motherboard, you might as well just buy a new computer. dell factory outlet has some good deals, or your build your own.

cutting your frame rate would buy you some overhead as well without needing a new computer.

mcleandl

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been fighting CPU utilization it seems for ever with Blue Iris even throwing a dual CPU HP Z800 high end Workstation. lots of memory 48GB and fast SAS hard drives. All I seem to do was heat up my room running at a constant 2 x 75% CPU load 7x24 (75 degree C on each 135W CPU's), 60 degree C on the 4 x 10K SAS hard drives and I have no idea how much heat the memory was throwing out. After lots of sole searching I decided to upgrade to the new Intel I7-6700k with liquid cooling,16 GB DDR 3733 memory, SSD 6 SATA OS drive and 6 TB WD Purple drive for video file storage and figured the power savings alone would pay for the new hardware in short order. What a difference upgrading to new hardware made, no heat, no noise and no worries about hitting 100% CPU load. Now running now at 38% CPU on a single quad core , 90 Mb/s on the single 1 GbE network port, 3.89 GB of memory usage with 15 x 4MP camera's all @ 20 fps. Power saving from not having to keep the old workstation cool alone is going to pay for the upgrade. If I could just figure out the motion detection part of Blue Iris as not to miss the first few frames on the Alerts or find any good documentation other then the HELP file that would be great.

H/W
Asus Maximus VIII Gene MB
Intel I7-6700K 4.2GHz (slightly over clocked due to fast memory)
G.Skill DDR4-3733 PC4-29800 2x8GB
480GB PNY SSD for OS
WD 6TB for video
Corsair cube case, 850w ps, and 240mm liquid cooler

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@mcleandlThe help file is detailed. For example it explains that when using direct to disk the recording only starts on the iframe. So you need to lower the default iframe interval to match your fps. Also you need to set the pretrigger frames in blue iris to at least double your frame rate. FYI, there is no need for liquid cooling or an 850w power supply in a blue iris pc. Large power supplies are inefficient when used on a low power pc.

Eustace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mcleandl, did you build your own or buy from someone? I also need to upgrade my computer before going to B.I... I also want to stream music ( You Tube, Pandora ) to my home audio system...

mcleandl

n3wb
Reaction score
@mcleandlThe help file is detailed. For example it explains that when using direct to disk the recording only starts on the iframe. So you need to lower the default iframe interval to match your fps. Also you need to set the pretrigger frames in blue iris to at least double your frame rate. FYI, there is no need for liquid cooling or an 850w power supply in a blue iris pc. Large power supplies are inefficient when used on a low power pc.
I have spent extensive time reading the HELP files and have been playing around with the I-Frame rate, but when I reduce it there appears to be video bumps in the video stream at the I-Frame interval, guess I need to decide which is more important when using direct to disk recording and capturing the Alert since it's tied to the I-Frame start. As for the 2nd comment I respectfully disagree on both the larger power supply and liquid cooling, both have to do with keeping below 40% of power supply load and moving large CFM through out the system while keeping ambient fan noise as low as possible. Both lessons learned by building customer systems for over 30 years. When the Corsair power supply utilization is under 40% the ps fan is idle (no noise) as well as the reason Corsair h100i-v2 liquid cooling w/ dual 120mm fans on the CPU, fan's running at a very low < 2000 rpm and still moving around 70 CFM of air with CPU over clocked by 7% and running at 35C. A completely quite system, very little heat load, no notable fan noise and system components running at normal temperatures even being over clocked while running 15 x 4MP @20 fps camera's with under 40% CPU utilization. If it works it works, can't argue with success.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
IF you want to leave the iframe interval high you can simply increase the pretrigger frames to 100 or 150.
A modern dell optiplex/hp elitedesk fan cooled is barely audible. Unless you have it bedside it shouldnt matter. Power supplies are inefficient at low loads.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IF you want to leave the iframe interval high you can simply increase the pretrigger frames to 100 or 150.
A modern dell optiplex/hp elitedesk fan cooled is barely audible. Unless you have it bedside it shouldnt matter. Power supplies are inefficient at low loads.
I just purchased a Dell Optiplex 7040 Minitower and I cannot hear the fan on the unit unless I put my ear on the case.