New Construction Camera placement?

squbbles

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
We are just starting a new construction home and I am looking for recommendations for camera placement. It is a small home, but I want the entire perimeter covered.
The driveway is only about 30ft to the street.
Currently leaning towards PC running BI setup.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Pic attached

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
We are just starting a new construction home and I am looking for recommendations for camera placement. It is a small home, but I want the entire perimeter covered.
The driveway is only about 30ft to the street.
Currently leaning towards PC running BI setup.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Pic attached
welcome @squbbles

Looks like a nice place ..

Try drawing a few spots on the image for cameras you'd like to place ..

squbbles

n3wb
Reaction score
welcome @squbbles

Looks like a nice place ..

Try drawing a few spots on the image for cameras you'd like to place ..
Thanks @mat200
We are thinking about cams at each of the 4 corners of the house, unless any experts here have other suggestions? I am a Noob at all this, but know one thing...I don't want to pay for subscription service.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us started with the put a camera on each corner of the house and fell into a false sense of security.

I started with the four 2.8mm camera box kit system and I was like "I can place one on each corner of the house and see my whole property and the whole neighborhood." A newbie loves the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood" of the 2.8mm fixed wide angle lens. I LOVED IT WHEN I PUT IT UP. I could see everything that would be blocked looking out the windows.

It is easy to get lured in to thinking the wide angle "see the whole neighborhood" because you are watching it and you see a neighbor go by and you are like "Look at that I can tell that is Heather out walking." and "Yeah I can tell our neighbor 4 down just passed by". Or you watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me".

Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened.

Then you realize that this wide-angle see the whole neighborhood comes at a cost and that cost is not being able to IDENTIFY who did it. These 2.8mm wide angle cameras are great overview cameras or to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet of the camera. At 40 feet out you need a different camera.

And you find that you need more than 4 cameras if you want to do anything more than see what is going on. If you want the video to be useful in a police situation, you will need more.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

squbbles

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj
These are the things I need to hear.

A few questions:
1. Do you have any recommendations for placement of cams based on our home?
2. What network cable is best to run to these locations? (it seems there are so many types of ethernet cable today)

Thanks again for sharing your expertise...it is greatly appreciated.

Many of us started with the put a camera on each corner of the house and fell into a false sense of security.

I started with the four 2.8mm camera box kit system and I was like "I can place one on each corner of the house and see my whole property and the whole neighborhood." A newbie loves the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood" of the 2.8mm fixed wide angle lens. I LOVED IT WHEN I PUT IT UP. I could see everything that would be blocked looking out the windows.

It is easy to get lured in to thinking the wide angle "see the whole neighborhood" because you are watching it and you see a neighbor go by and you are like "Look at that I can tell that is Heather out walking." and "Yeah I can tell our neighbor 4 down just passed by". Or you watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me".

Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened.

Then you realize that this wide-angle see the whole neighborhood comes at a cost and that cost is not being able to IDENTIFY who did it. These 2.8mm wide angle cameras are great overview cameras or to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet of the camera. At 40 feet out you need a different camera.

And you find that you need more than 4 cameras if you want to do anything more than see what is going on. If you want the video to be useful in a police situation, you will need more.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At a minimum 1 on each side of the garage and then 1 or more to cover each entry.

Best to buy in-wall rated pure copper. Stay away from flat cable and cable with CCA.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @mat200
We are thinking about cams at each of the 4 corners of the house, unless any experts here have other suggestions? I am a Noob at all this, but know one thing...I don't want to pay for subscription service.
Thanks in advance.
1711298058151.png

Over cable .. N+1 .. that is run an extra cable to each location ..

these are the positions I would test for ...

Frontdoor .. one camera at face level, one watching package drop area ..

if you want to id any car or door checker on the street .. you will need more cameras ..

any side or back door .. add a camera at face level also ..