New construction planning

Scott Kdot

n3wb
Reaction score
Well it took me a few days but I have my prints in a small enough file to post. I will also include a small survey of the property. I am currently most interested in how many cameras I should plan for and how many boxes to order. I am good with the wire but on the fence about NVR vs. Blue Iris, I was convinced that NVR was what I wanted until I read about Blue Iris. Currently my only concern about Blue Iris is H.265 compression for storage, I see that BI now supports H.265 but slightly confused about the PC I may need to use. The good thing is I have until August to decide the best route to go.

Any input on placement of cameras would be appreciated.
SBIZHUB 36420010514060_0001.jpg
SBIZHUB 36420010514070_0001.jpg

Scott Kdot

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like a camera or two facing the pond and woods area because of the wildlife. Eventually I will have a building next to the pond between the water and the trees so I will be able to have a camera facing the back of the home. I also plan on having pillars with lights along the driveway so I can put a camera facing the home from the front. The pole barn won't be built for a year or two but that will be wired and all connected to the home network as well, there will be no wireless cameras at all and my goal is to have everything camera/network related to be on a UPS.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great looking floor plan on a beautiful lot. Congrats!
Do you plan to add a gate at the entrance to your driveway to restrict who can enter your lot?

Scott Kdot

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. There is no plan for a gate right now, I have customers that occasionally come to the house so it would be somewhat inconvenient. I think being able to monitor the property remotely is my best option. Maybe a gate a few years down the road when I'm retired.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice house. Here is some suggestions. Maybe someone has better positions? Its where I would start. possibly move #5 the into corner more.

CaptureSBIZHUB.PNG

Attachments

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Np, we are having a snow day up here today, so I thought I’d throw something together with this awesome jvsg software I’ve been experimenting with. It’s just some ideas is all.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ON BI, it supports H.264 with intel hardware acceleration, quicksync. BI supports h.265 in software only. On storage, disks are one of the cheapest things in the system, buy more or bigger disks.

BI have more features and configurations and different camera type and manufactures. It is recommend that on an NVR you stick with one manufacture for NVR and camera.

For BI your PC will be determined by how many cameras, what resolutions, what frame rate, type of motion detection, complexity of the images, image quality......

For now get the ethernet wire in and figure out where you are going to put the main camera switch / connection. As stated before run two wires to each location. Run more wires to more location than you need. Are you having indoor cameras? Plan on more cameras than you need.

(Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

Two camera next the garage door no higher than the to of the door.
Front door, two to three cameras, one at the door bell, one top of door pointing out, one on column, point down and in, mount low if possible.
Other doors , one camera no higher than the top of door point out.
Corner cameras covering windows no higher than the first floor.
Do not use soffit cameras on a two story house, unless you want over view, run wires

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seriously consider having some 1 inch (even better if larger) conduits laid underground for cameras out in the periphery of your property. We make heavy use of PTZ's mounted on lamp posts up to 50 yards out from the house. The ability to have mulitple vantage points that can also look at your house or down nearby streets is worthwhile. It's a lot easier to do the conduit runs now before the final landscaping.

The periphery cameras act as outer perimeter coverage.

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 3.15.07 PM.jpg

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well it took me a few days but I have my prints in a small enough file to post. I will also include a small survey of the property. I am currently most interested in how many cameras I should plan for and how many boxes to order. I am good with the wire but on the fence about NVR vs. Blue Iris, I was convinced that NVR was what I wanted until I read about Blue Iris. Currently my only concern about Blue Iris is H.265 compression for storage, I see that BI now supports H.265 but slightly confused about the PC I may need to use. The good thing is I have until August to decide the best route to go.

Any input on placement of cameras would be appreciated.
View attachment 53438
View attachment 53439
Welcome @Scott Kdot

Looks like a really nice home you're planning.

Due to the shape, I would plan to have more cameras than typical rectangular homes.

For each exterior door I would
1) drop 2 cat6 lines down the doorbell area,
2) one cat6 to eye level

We've had a lot of really good suggestions previously with other also building new homes - so do check those out.

iirc some are here in this section:
Installation Pics