New Dahua System Advice

Coolio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm building a new Dahua system from scratch for my home in the mountains of Colorado. I am looking at purchasing 5 IPC-HDW5231R-Z from @EMPIRETECANDY to place outside under the eaves of my house. I want good quality night performance to view and record wildlife. Eventually I want to mount a SD49225T-HN PTZ camera above the house to get a bird's-eye view of the property and act as a weather camera. I plan on using a Windows PC with Blue Iris. Budget $1200-$1500

Questions:

Which 8 channel NVR do you guys recommend?
Hard drive recommendation?
Where and what type of cable to purchase? (100' lengths)
Thoughts on my equipment choices?
Do the cameras come with all of the necessary hardware to install under an eave?
Do the camera receive their power through the cat5 cable?

Thanks!
Mark

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1) Confused. You mention Blue Iris but then also an NVR? If you do plan to get an NVR, I would recommend you stick with the same brand as the cameras to maximize features.
2) WD Purple
3) I buy bulk CAT6 cable spools off amazon, connectors, crimping tool, etc and just make my own cables. It's not hard.
4) Cameras sound good so far
5) I only have the HDW5231R-Z, not mounted yet, but from what I see in the bag, screws, etc, looks like it has everything needed to mount it. Even has a waterproof connector, don't forget to slide it on first, if you are making your own cables.
6) They have that option, if you setup POE either by getting an NVR with POE (but then you can't as easily use blue iris), an external switch with POE, or POE injectors, otherwise, you will have to run a 12v power line to the camera. Also, you should get CAT6 cable.

Coolio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Blue Iris is not necessary. Here's the NVR that I've narrowed down: Dahua nvr5208-8p-4ks2. Also, I definitely want to power the cameras off the CAT6 cable.

NVR5208/5216/5232-8P-4KS2 | Dahua Technology

Any specs to look for on the CAT6 cable?
Will this NVR come with it's own software, remote viewing access, and IOS mobile viewing app?

Thanks!

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For cat6 cable I get mine from monoprice. I buy the copper cable and not the copper clad aluminum. With 2.5 and 5G ethernet around the corner, I would not be installing anything but cat6a. We used to install cat5e for everything.

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm in the same spot.
Got 5231R-Z camera & 5216-4KS2 NVR last week to start testing.
Was considering Blue Iris but didn't yet want to get into needing a full Windows box to build/maintain, though I may play will that at some point.
Started the week directly powering the camera, but then ordered a POE switch and yesterday changed to POE.
So far all the testing has been indoors, and I drilled the holes for access outside yesterday and will run the outside wiring today.
Initially I accessed/configured the camera & NVR via the browser plug-in, but have since moved to SmartPSS on the Mac, and IDMSS on the iPhone/iPad.
Using H.265, and at least for the test setup, it's using 1GB/hour, on the 6TB Purple drive, so I'll have a ton of space most likely.
Haven't played with motion detection yet, and just starting to think about remote access security.
Starting to read/learn about using a Raspberry Pi for VPN server/DDNS, since my FiOS router doesn't do VPN.
If I switched to Blue Iris, I could run the VPN/DDNS on that box, but trying to avoid a full blown PC 24/7 thus far.
Going to use PFB203W for mounting the outside camera's of which they'll be at lest 3 cameras outside.
Learning as I go ... with a huge help from this forum ...

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm in the same spot.
Got 5231R-Z camera & 5216-4KS2 NVR last week to start testing.
Was considering Blue Iris but didn't yet want to get into needing a full Windows box to build/maintain, though I may play will that at some point.
Started the week directly powering the camera, but then ordered a POE switch and yesterday changed to POE.
So far all the testing has been indoors, and I drilled the holes for access outside yesterday and will run the outside wiring today.
Initially I accessed/configured the camera & NVR via the browser plug-in, but have since moved to SmartPSS on the Mac, and IDMSS on the iPhone/iPad.
Using H.265, and at least for the test setup, it's using 1GB/hour, on the 6TB Purple drive, so I'll have a ton of space most likely.
Haven't played with motion detection yet, and just starting to think about remote access security.
Starting to read/learn about using a Raspberry Pi for VPN server/DDNS, since my FiOS router doesn't do VPN.
If I switched to Blue Iris, I could run the VPN/DDNS on that box, but trying to avoid a full blown PC 24/7 thus far.
Going to use PFB203W for mounting the outside camera's of which they'll be at lest 3 cameras outside.
Learning as I go ... with a huge help from this forum ...
How did you get on with your setup?
I'm planning on going down the same route, just not sure about getting the NVR vs Blue iris. Is the nvr5216 any good and is the remote app good and fit for purpose?