New Dedicated BI PC Question

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing a new (refurbished) PC to be a dedicated BI machine. I have read the Wiki notes on what BI needs to run properly. I am probably going to run 16 - 24 2MP cameras. I have the option to purchase these three PC's at a great price but wanted to know if BI would run on them properly as they kind of fall outside of the listed parameters.

HP Z620 Workstation 2x E5-2670 v2 2.50GHz 20-Cores & 40 Threads Total, with 96GB RAM, No HDD, and a NVIDIA Quadro 600

HP Z620 Workstation 2x E5-2690 2.9GHz 16-Cores & 32 Threads Total, with 96GB RAM, No HDD, and NVIDIA Quadro 4000

or

HP Z620 Workstation 2x E5-2667 v2 3.30GHz 16-Cores Total & 32 Threads, with 96GB RAM, No HDD, and NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
check the stat website

Blue Iris Update Helper

I believe those machines are power pigs. They have way to much memory for what you need. I believe that they do not have intel quick sync. Unless these machines are free, i would look for something else.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money
As stated in my original post, I have gone to the wiki and read the cliff notes and other info. I have been doing this for the past two weeks and am aware of what is listed. I am aware these units are overkill but $300.00 is a good price for any of these. RAM can be taken out and all I was trying to ask is if BI had the ability to use the processing power of both CPU's.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Intel QuickSync offers a significant performance improvement, and the Xeon lacks QS. Those machines really do use a lot of power and generate a lot of heat, so I'm guessing they're also pretty loud. If you know how those HP machines are configured, you can determine the annual power budget. You may find that they require a surprising amount of money to run.
What @dark current said. Look for an i7-4770 on eBay. I'd SNAP one of these up NOW, but you'll need to add a Western Digital Purple drive for data for another $100.00 or so...

Dell Optiplex 9020 Tower i7-4770 3.40GHz 8GB 240GB SSD DVDRW Win 10 PRO | eBay

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.