new firmaware

reins5

n3wb
Reaction score
hi, I have DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2E with firmware 4.001.0000006. I saw that on the dahua site there is V4.002.0000000.5.R.220729, should I upgrade? Do I lose my current configuration?
Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a risk of losing the configuration as well as a risk of bricking the unit or losing a feature you have that is eliminated in the update.

We have DAILY threads where someone bricked a camera or NVR because they were updating just for the sake of updating

So the question is does the firmware release notes either add a feature you really need or fix a known problem you have? If not, don't fix what ain't broke.

If the Release Notes are blank (which this one is)....why risk it?

If it does add a feature you want or need or fixes a known problem, then you have to weight the risks of updating it or not.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk.

Here is a thread just from TODAY where someone updated this exact NVR to that firmware and bricked it...

avivmalca

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello friends... looking for firmware for an original Hikvision camera model: DS-2CD2T45FWD-I5
my current firmware: V5.6.820 build 220519
I'm new to this so if anyone can help me, please direct download link will be very helpful
Really appreciate the help guys.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You really need to be asking yourself why are you updating? If it is just for grins and giggles or OCD behavior to be running the latest firmware, think twice.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Here is one of many threads of someone updating for OCD behavior simply to get all cams on same firmware and bricked them. Here is one of many threads where someone had their camera go into Chinese when they tried to update it.

Unless the release notes specifically mention it fixing a problem you are experiencing, more than likely it won't fix an issue and may make the camera worse by removing functionality or worse brick it.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • Dahua 5241E-Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots.
  • Axis Q1786 that lost the ability to see the percentage of focus and zoom in theGUI.
  • Dahua 49225 and 49425 PTZ that Dahua intentionally removed autotracking with an update to force people to buy the more expensive PTZ.
  • Hikvision DS-2DEA425IW-DW PTZ that Hikvision intentionally removed autotracking with an update to force people to buy the more expensive PTZ (*V5.7.3 220315 -Remove auto-tracking functions on DE4A).
  • Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen, especially if you live in the USA.
  • Hikvision ANPR DS-2CD4A26FWD camera that lost all ability to read plates - kinda makes a plate reader camera useless.
  • Hikvision camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • Hikvision DS-7616NI-Q2 NVR that has the APIs changed. This is a big deal if you run automation.
  • Hikvision DS-7616NI-K2 NVR that loses basic functionality when updated.
  • Hikvision wifi camera that loses the ability to use wifi after a firmware update and was intentionally removed due to too many complaints that the camera was dropping signal.
  • DH-DB61 Doorbell that loses API functionality. A big deal for someone with automation.
  • DS-2CD2387G2-LU that loses API functionality. A big deal for someone with automation.
  • Hikvision iVM4200 v3.8 - loses the free ability to use the computer as storage and now need to subscribe.
  • Dahua IPC-HFW1320S that started phoning home using 60MB/hr and costing someone thousands of dollars in data overages when he got his next mobile bill.
  • Dahua 5442 that will not allow playback of the SD card.
  • Dahua NVR58XX-4KS2 that had custom protocol (ability to add a camera via RTSP) removed possibly to force people to purchase same brand cameras.
  • SmartPSS that intentionally removed the ability to use the Intercom for those with VTO devices after firmware version 2.02.08
  • Countless other instances where the camera or NVR simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera or NVR went into Chinese.
  • Manufacturers are now preventing their equipment to be updated with an older working firmware after it was updated to a more recent firmware.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Another thing to consider is that the same model could have different firmware for different chipsets used during the life of that model. So you run the risk of bricking if you do not know what chipset you have.

Here is an example - the HFW3549T1-AS-PV is available in 2 versions of firmware across 3 different chipsets for the same model camera:
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S4 uses the HX3XXX-Taurus firmware.
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV and IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S3 use the HX5XXX-Volt firmware
In this instance, Dahua added an S# designation after the model number (while Hikvision adds a C), but many do not and then you try to update with a firmware not compatible with your chipset and potentially brick it.

CamCrazy said it best here LOL: Unless you want to waste some of your life, do not upgrade things that are working fine, I know, temptation is too great sometimes

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1666892544039.png

And if it is BI, only update when they add a feature you need or want. The updates are providing new tools and features and are not addressing security vulnerabilities...the last update notes that mentioned security was version 5.2.5 - April 9, 2020

Last edited:

Miacomo

n3wb
Reaction score
NO!
I did my 64 channel version with this latest FW and am constantly having cameras log out then back in in groups of 5-7 at a time. Also cant use many IVS rules at all now. The new FW slows the NVR processor down terribly. I've yet figured out a way to downgrade the FW to the original. Don't do it unless you need to !!!!