New Firmware for DS-7600NI-SE 7600NI-V(VP)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why do you want to upgrade it? a.k.a. What reasons do you have for potentially bricking your NVR?

FastCamMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello spagnum.dk. I am running the v3.0.15 build 151223 on a unit. It is working well but I will tell you that you may need to load it via the TFTP boot-up method depending on what version you are currently running. I know I had to such to get from 2.3.10 up to v3.0.15. This firmware is suppose to allow 4MP R6 series cameras to work with the DS-76XXNI-SE(P) series NVRs but I have yet to test that due to the simple fact that this is a rather old platform at that the locations where we have this NVR installed we just don't have any 4MP units.

What's more interesting is that I noticed Hikvision took down v3.0.15 build 151223 in the past few days and replaced it with v3.0.15 build 151230 but as I said I am only tested build 151223 and it worked fine. Anyone else try build 151230?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah ok, in that case it's worth getting a copy of your current firmware, in case you need to revert back.

spagnum.dk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello spagnum.dk. I am running the v3.0.15 build 151223 on a unit. It is working well but I will tell you that you may need to load it via the TFTP boot-up method depending on what version you are currently running. I know I had to such to get from 2.3.10 up to v3.0.15. This firmware is suppose to allow 4MP R6 series cameras to work with the DS-76XXNI-SE(P) series NVRs but I have yet to test that due to the simple fact that this is a rather old platform at that the locations where we have this NVR installed we just don't have any 4MP units.

What's more interesting is that I noticed Hikvision took down v3.0.15 build 151223 in the past few days and replaced it with v3.0.15 build 151230 but as I said I am only tested build 151223 and it worked fine. Anyone else try build 151230?
Thx for your reply, I also saw the new build, but there is still no release notes.
But if this build only is made to support new cameras, then this will probably not fix my “Abnormal Shutdown” issue

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thx for your reply, I also saw the new build, but there is still no release notes.
But if this build only is made to support new cameras, then this will probably not fix my “Abnormal Shutdown” issue
Hikvision firmware is delicate to put it nicely. So there is a big chance your problem might be fixed.

If yours is an NI NVR then I personally would update and see what happens. Just make sure you have access to the NVR when you update it, just in case you have to TFTP back to your current version.

My original advice of rebooting every other week still applies.

spagnum.dk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision firmware is delicate to put it nicely. So there is a big chance your problem might be fixed.

If yours is an NI NVR then I personally would update and see what happens. Just make sure you have access to the NVR when you update it, just in case you have to TFTP back to your current version.

My original advice of rebooting every other week still applies.
Thx for your feed back :)

I have just upgraded the NVR to build 151230, there was no problem with the upgrade, I did it on the NVR with all cameras disconnected.

I let you know if I see any problems with this firmware.

Regards Spagnum :)

FastCamMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Spagnum,

Can you let me know what version you upgrade from and were you able to complete the upgrade thru the web interface?

spagnum.dk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Spagnum,

Can you let me know what version you upgrade from and were you able to complete the upgrade thru the web interface?
Hi FastCamMan

I upgraded the NVR using an USB key locally on the NVR. I did not use the web interface.
I shut down the NVR, removed all cameras, started the NVR and did the upgrade using the local GUI, after a restart I connected all cameras.

I upgraded from V3.0.15 build150528 to V3.0.15 Build151230 (R6)

Regards Spagnum

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem with the sporadic and not systematic abnormal shutdowns may have to do with the handling of possible bad sectors of the disk. The hard disk when it recognises a possible bad sector tries to recover the sector and if not possible to rellocate the data to a new sector and mark that sector as bad. This process may take a very long time if the hard disk goes into deep relocation mode. During this period the drive reports to be unavailable to the system. In this case the operating system usually will start a shutdown process as it has no hard disk. The advantage of NAS aware disks like the purple and red series of Western Digital have a Time Limited Error Recovery (TLER) feature that cancels the deep recovery mode of the disk after 7 seconds and postpones the process in the future. In this way the operating system recovers and continues. This is the main reason why green, blue and black series of Western series are not suitable for any RAID configuration (they will work untill the moment the hard disk recognises a bad sector).

Therefore the problem is not file size related. However it appears to be file size because after the hard disk has recorded X days of video footage, it reaches a location on the hard disk that may be suspicious of bad sector and the hard disk attempts to fix or relocate that location. This problem may appear at any time and at any location of the hard disk. The usual hard disk utilities (even the official western digital utilities) will never report such an event (unfortunately).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Modern HDDs fix up bad sectors transparently from their spare pool, but as @aster1x says, some models (eg those Green ones for desktop use) can go away for a while when they do that, and will not expose re-mapped bad sectors to a surface scan unless the pool is exhausted.
I upgraded from V3.0.15 build150528 to V3.0.15 Build151230 (R6)
Does that version of firmware for your NVR have the facility to show the HDD S.M.A.R.T. data?
If so, you can check out the values showing for the attributes that show signs of end-of-life or failure such as 'reallocated sector count'.
Example:
NVR_29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The hard disk smart info is available in most firmware versions at the native (or HDMI interface, I do not know how else to call the appliance interface), BUT it is not availble in the web gui interfaceof at least version 3.0.9.
@alastaistevnson: On which NVR and with which firmware do you see the hard disk smart info, as your screen post above?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
@alastaistevnson: On which NVR and with which firmware do you see the hard disk smart info, as your screen post above?
It's from a 7816N-E2 with the 3.3.4 firmware.
It's a fairly new and useful addition to the firmware feature set of the web GUI - just a few revisions back, though I can't recall exactly which.

spagnum.dk

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem with the sporadic and not systematic abnormal shutdowns may have to do with the handling of possible bad sectors of the disk. The hard disk when it recognises a possible bad sector tries to recover the sector and if not possible to rellocate the data to a new sector and mark that sector as bad. This process may take a very long time if the hard disk goes into deep relocation mode. During this period the drive reports to be unavailable to the system. In this case the operating system usually will start a shutdown process as it has no hard disk. The advantage of NAS aware disks like the purple and red series of Western Digital have a Time Limited Error Recovery (TLER) feature that cancels the deep recovery mode of the disk after 7 seconds and postpones the process in the future. In this way the operating system recovers and continues. This is the main reason why green, blue and black series of Western series are not suitable for any RAID configuration (they will work untill the moment the hard disk recognises a bad sector).

Therefore the problem is not file size related. However it appears to be file size because after the hard disk has recorded X days of video footage, it reaches a location on the hard disk that may be suspicious of bad sector and the hard disk attempts to fix or relocate that location. This problem may appear at any time and at any location of the hard disk. The usual hard disk utilities (even the official western digital utilities) will never report such an event (unfortunately).
Hi

Thx for the feedback, but I don’t think my problem is a hard disk issue.
I’m using a 2 TB WD purple disk on the NVR.
When the “Abnormal Shutdown” first began I also tested the NVR with another disk (1TB WD red), this was the same problem.
I now run with the 2TB WD purple disk, have set the resolution to 1024x768 on all cameras.
Now the NVR do not do the “abnormal Shutdown” so often.
The NVR have been stable after the new firmware, but there is also low activity on all camera now (winter time)

spagnum.dk

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update.

The NVR is still stable, no “abnormal Shutdown” since the firmware upgrade in January 2016:)
Firmware version: V3.0.15 build 151230

niofar

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update.

The NVR is still stable, no “abnormal Shutdown” since the firmware upgrade in January 2016:)
Firmware version: V3.0.15 build 151230
Hi, I have a chinese DS-7604NI-SE with 2.3.7 build 131112. Can I upgrade the firmware with EU version without problems? How?
Thank You

spagnum.dk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have a chinese DS-7604NI-SE with 2.3.7 build 131112. Can I upgrade the firmware with EU version without problems? How?
Thank You
Sorry. I do not know if you can use this EU firmware on a Chinese version of the NVR.

I think my NVR is an EU version