New guy needing wireless PTZ advice.

C130pilot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Thank you in advance for the time and help. I have a lake cabin and I am setting up a camera for the boat dock which is 40 yards from the main cabin where the router is. I was looking at putting a PTZ up on the roof of the boat dock for a magical view of the lake. I am not really finding any well quality wireless ptz in the 400.00 dollar range. I would like to have 10x or 20x. Can you provide any direction or suggestions for this setup?

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Forget a Wireless PTZ, there is a reason why you cant find any quality ones.. its because wireless for security cameras sucks and they know this.

Since this is more of a remote WebCam a wireless link will be acceptable, Get a standard wired one that you like and setup a wireless bridge between your boat house and your cabin... one of these on your boat house should do the job, worst case you might need one on your cabin too, but your WiFi coverage will be great

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-PicoStation-2-4GHz-802-11g-Access/dp/B0055PKSG6

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Thank you in advance for the time and help. I have a lake cabin and I am setting up a camera for the boat dock which is 40 yards from the main cabin where the router is. I was looking at putting a PTZ up on the roof of the boat dock for a magical view of the lake. I am not really finding any well quality wireless ptz in the 400.00 dollar range. I would like to have 10x or 20x. Can you provide any direction or suggestions for this setup?

Thanks
Welcome to the forum....its always best to hardwire instead of wifi...remember that any camera can be made wireless with a cheap access point...where is the router in relation to the camera?
While you can find some cheap ptz's on aliexpress, they will be without warranty or support...some are as low as 250..there are several threads on them..otherwise if you want a warranty and firmware updates..here is an option though its above your price point.
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/ip-ptz-s/eyesurv-esip-ptz-1-3mpir-1-3-megapixel-high-definition-infrared-ip-ptz-zoom-security-camera.html

C130pilot

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the quick response. The router is at the cabin 40 yards up a hill from the dock. I have power at the dock, so hooking up a wired solution per NAYR suggestion would be a very good option. Would I need two of the pico stations or just one? I have a netgear extreme N router, so it is pretty strong.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a power sockets at both ends, you could always use a powerline socket next to your router and another near where you want the camera.