New guy, your thoughts wanted....

ZeroTX

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, but I've been tinkering with cameras and BlueIris for a few years now both at work and home (I was principal of a private school, where I set up a system myself for the hallways and entry doors). I previously was all FOSCAM cameras, but these cameras are slowly dying, both at home and at my original installation at the school. I've been utterly disappointed with their reliability and won't buy another FOSCAM.

That said, I have had great luck with a POE only high res camera from "GW Security" that I bought on Amazon. I'm using an inexpensive power injector and running it about 100 feet to my wiring closet and it works flawlessly day in and day out.

However, they are a little pricey and apparently no longer sold by Amazon (I put mine up about 7 months ago), and my wife isn't as fond of my camera hobby, so I'm looking for cheaper. I like having ONE high res camera up front, but I'm okay with a 1080p as a secondary angle for the front of my house. I found a SV3C POE camera for just $39.99 on Amazon with hundreds of good reviews. I'm giving it a shot.

I still need at least one more external camera for my back yard. I've already wired it up for POE as well. I intended to put one of my FOSCAM cameras out there, but it died. Then another one died, etc. Junk!

Thanks guys,

Z

ZeroTX

n3wb
Reaction score
For 40 bucks I'm gonna hook it up and give it a shot. If it's defective, it'll go back. I know I can get better for $150-ish, but I am looking for a budget camera at this position.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For 40 bucks I'm gonna hook it up and give it a shot. If it's defective, it'll go back. I know I can get better for $150-ish, but I am looking for a budget camera at this position.
You can do better for 60 or $70 and do much better for $100.... The dahua fixed Starlight is available for $100.... It may take 6 months for it to become defective...

ZeroTX

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll check those out. I still need more outside cameras (side, back). So far I'm fairly pleased with this one for the price. For $120 or so, my last one is a 5 megapixel with adjustable lens, so I can read license plates in the driveway. This $40 one comes nowhere near that, but it's fine for just seeing what's happening (both cameras point at the driveway in opposite overlapping angles). What do you recommend for a 5 megapixel zoom and focus adjustable lens outdoor camera for not too much? The one I have is GW Security. When I was looking, it was the only inexpensive high-res cam with adjustable lens (that I could find).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll check those out. I still need more outside cameras (side, back). So far I'm fairly pleased with this one for the price. For $120 or so, my last one is a 5 megapixel with adjustable lens, so I can read license plates in the driveway. This $40 one comes nowhere near that, but it's fine for just seeing what's happening (both cameras point at the driveway in opposite overlapping angles). What do you recommend for a 5 megapixel zoom and focus adjustable lens outdoor camera for not too much? The one I have is GW Security. When I was looking, it was the only inexpensive high-res cam with adjustable lens (that I could find).
gw is crap as well....high res does not mean good image quality....see starlight threads for yourself....to capture a plate at night you will need lots of outdoor lighting OR dedicate the camera to capture plates...see LPR section of this forum